Patapsco Valley Granite-Woodstock Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodstock, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Had to use map to stay on trail and lots of mosquitos near the river. But a nice hike nonetheless.

nice views of the river for about 40% of trail. didn't see what made it hard other than it was difficult to find some turns.

Gud stuff

Try to stay away from the lower parts of the path near the river as they are very overgrown and hard to follow. Otherwise, pretty good trail IF you have this app or know your way around. Paths are not well marked.
Update: 2 days after the hike our dog got some type of bite or infection from the tall grass. Definitely not worth the hike. Advise to stay out of the grassy area!

nice, easy hike. poorly marked in places. recommend downloading the map.

Awesome trail, but poorly marked. I got lost and had to back track twice. Aside from that the trail is beautiful and the burgers at the Woodstock Inn are amazing.

Agree with previous comments that this is not a hard trail. Maybe moderate. Went with my dogs and it was great!

Great walk along the river! Definitely download the map and keep on your GPS, because there are a few spots you might miss. There is a path/road you take at the midpoint is through a clearing and it's not marked - the grass was knee high so we almost missed it. The best part about this hike was that no one was on the trail and you can make it shorter or longer very easily.

We enjoyed this hike but would not label it hard. There were some ups and down but nothing strenuous. Like other people said, the markers are oddly placed (you get the marker before a split so we did not know to go to the left or right path). It took 2 hours to walk the loop.

Enjoyable moderate hike with a few hills, water crossings, one little waterfall. This was a beautiful spring day. My hike was about six miles. G Ood training hike

Hiked this one as a 7 mile trek. Part of the trail follows the river. It's not a difficult trail, but maybe a bit harder than moderate. End your hike with a beer and burger at the Woodstock Inn.

Hiked this trail as a 6-mile loop by starting with the ridge trail right away, returning on the trail close to the river bank, taking the trail under the power line as the connecting trail of the first two.

I agree with others’ comments about the difficulty level. Between moderate and hard, I think the trail should be rated as moderate.

wonderfully diverse. nicely challenging. beautiful scenery. watch out for horse dropping

Easy track, saw lots of birds including a blue heron and various woodpeckers. Peaceful walk on the river

Pleasant stroll.

Parking can be found at the railroad crossing, Hike across the bridge and make a left on closed paved road. Shortly on left is a white marked trail. I think called crossover trail. This will bring you to the start. Trail makes turns that are poorly marked. I was talking and took the obvious trail and got lost 3 times :) glad I had my GPS. Trail is pretty easy overall.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

This trail is great! I would not classify this as a ‘hard’ trail, although there are certainly challenging stretches of the hike. I would give this trail a 5/5 but the lack of signage makes it somewhat difficult to navigate. If you’re experienced, you’ll have no problem following the trail. For entry-level hikers, there may be more difficulty. I would love to see the trail markers repainted, a trail head that outlines the various trails in this area, and some interesting information on the local vegetation/wild life. Overall, a great trail. I stopped to enjoy several sites along the trail, but moved steadily throughout; it took me 2.5 hours to complete. I hope this is useful, enjoy!

Sunday, October 15, 2017

It was great hike. Saw a few deer and some ducks. Also, I saw some ruins (think fireplace).

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Ran/hiked Patapsco Granite-Woodstock today, and I have no complaints about this loop. No pics taken on this one, just cruisin' trails, although I recorded two essential waypoints where paths branch off. While it is not a super rocky course, it's level of difficulty is completed by other challenges, especially if you are trail running.

I encountered another phone death. My phone died at about two-thirds the way in. Really, I gotta stop doing this on confusing and highly-intersected trails!! This time I didn't venture off several miles by going off course, which speaks to how easy it is to navigate and follow the markings on this moderately difficult trail. Thus, my recorded track does not show that I followed the course to a "T" as depicted, which, again, was fairly easy to do despite the phone death.

This is a great 6-mile running and hiking trail, and I highly recommend it.

Monday, September 18, 2017

We combined this with another trail and did 9 miles.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Fun challenging mountain biking trail!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

It was easy trail but lengthy, marking on the trail is not great so completely dependent on GPS. Not scenic . Overall Ok .

Monday, September 04, 2017

This was a fairly easy hike. The trail markers are lacking and the only way to find your way is your GPS. Other than that it was a nice walk in the woods.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

I grew up 100 yards from these trails and I can say very confidently that these are the best trails you will find in the Ellicott City area... Some people may say they are a little overgrown or unmanicured but if you ask me I would say it just adds to the beauty... Once you get familiar with this area you will discover an extra 3 to 5 miles of loops connected to this trail... This trail can also take you to Daniels Dam and from Woodstock you can make your way up to Marriottsville Rd/McKeldin Area all the way up past Henryton Rd... One time me and my father took it all the way up to my cousins house in Woodbine... Long story short the railroad and river connects this trail to essentially all the trails in north Howard County from east to west and beyond...

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

The start of this hike is not marked well, but after 3/4 of a mile, the white blazes are evident. However, they disappeared after a while and we ended up having to find our way via this app. Beautiful hike though!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Lots of mountain bikers. Not the best marked, but the path is well tread and easy to follow. Terrain isn't difficult but it is narrow. Parking near the restaurant across the bridge, but not a ton.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Nice trail between river and civilization. best suited for horse and mountain bike. No rock climbing. Beautiful vegetation and river views. Should be rated as easy.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

I agree with the rest of the posters here. Really pretty scenery and a nice hike but terrible signage. We started on Granite Trail but ended up coming out on Quarry Trail because we lost the first one.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great trail with very diverse and beautiful scenery! A good test if your orienteering (lack if signage)!