Patapsco Valley Granite-Woodstock Trail

Patapsco Valley Granite-Woodstock Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodstock, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Enjoyable moderate hike with a few hills, water crossings, one little waterfall. This was a beautiful spring day. My hike was about six miles. G Ood training hike

Hiked this one as a 7 mile trek. Part of the trail follows the river. It's not a difficult trail, but maybe a bit harder than moderate. End your hike with a beer and burger at the Woodstock Inn.

Hiked this trail as a 6-mile loop by starting with the ridge trail right away, returning on the trail close to the river bank, taking the trail under the power line as the connecting trail of the first two.

I agree with others’ comments about the difficulty level. Between moderate and hard, I think the trail should be rated as moderate.

wonderfully diverse. nicely challenging. beautiful scenery. watch out for horse dropping

Easy track, saw lots of birds including a blue heron and various woodpeckers. Peaceful walk on the river

Pleasant stroll.

Parking can be found at the railroad crossing, Hike across the bridge and make a left on closed paved road. Shortly on left is a white marked trail. I think called crossover trail. This will bring you to the start. Trail makes turns that are poorly marked. I was talking and took the obvious trail and got lost 3 times :) glad I had my GPS. Trail is pretty easy overall.

This trail is great! I would not classify this as a ‘hard’ trail, although there are certainly challenging stretches of the hike. I would give this trail a 5/5 but the lack of signage makes it somewhat difficult to navigate. If you’re experienced, you’ll have no problem following the trail. For entry-level hikers, there may be more difficulty. I would love to see the trail markers repainted, a trail head that outlines the various trails in this area, and some interesting information on the local vegetation/wild life. Overall, a great trail. I stopped to enjoy several sites along the trail, but moved steadily throughout; it took me 2.5 hours to complete. I hope this is useful, enjoy!

It was great hike. Saw a few deer and some ducks. Also, I saw some ruins (think fireplace).

Ran/hiked Patapsco Granite-Woodstock today, and I have no complaints about this loop. No pics taken on this one, just cruisin' trails, although I recorded two essential waypoints where paths branch off. While it is not a super rocky course, it's level of difficulty is completed by other challenges, especially if you are trail running.

I encountered another phone death. My phone died at about two-thirds the way in. Really, I gotta stop doing this on confusing and highly-intersected trails!! This time I didn't venture off several miles by going off course, which speaks to how easy it is to navigate and follow the markings on this moderately difficult trail. Thus, my recorded track does not show that I followed the course to a "T" as depicted, which, again, was fairly easy to do despite the phone death.

This is a great 6-mile running and hiking trail, and I highly recommend it.

We combined this with another trail and did 9 miles.

Fun challenging mountain biking trail!

It was easy trail but lengthy, marking on the trail is not great so completely dependent on GPS. Not scenic . Overall Ok .

This was a fairly easy hike. The trail markers are lacking and the only way to find your way is your GPS. Other than that it was a nice walk in the woods.

I grew up 100 yards from these trails and I can say very confidently that these are the best trails you will find in the Ellicott City area... Some people may say they are a little overgrown or unmanicured but if you ask me I would say it just adds to the beauty... Once you get familiar with this area you will discover an extra 3 to 5 miles of loops connected to this trail... This trail can also take you to Daniels Dam and from Woodstock you can make your way up to Marriottsville Rd/McKeldin Area all the way up past Henryton Rd... One time me and my father took it all the way up to my cousins house in Woodbine... Long story short the railroad and river connects this trail to essentially all the trails in north Howard County from east to west and beyond...

The start of this hike is not marked well, but after 3/4 of a mile, the white blazes are evident. However, they disappeared after a while and we ended up having to find our way via this app. Beautiful hike though!

Lots of mountain bikers. Not the best marked, but the path is well tread and easy to follow. Terrain isn't difficult but it is narrow. Parking near the restaurant across the bridge, but not a ton.

Nice trail between river and civilization. best suited for horse and mountain bike. No rock climbing. Beautiful vegetation and river views. Should be rated as easy.

I agree with the rest of the posters here. Really pretty scenery and a nice hike but terrible signage. We started on Granite Trail but ended up coming out on Quarry Trail because we lost the first one.

Great trail with very diverse and beautiful scenery! A good test if your orienteering (lack if signage)!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Awesome trail in terms of wildlife and good workout because can be longer then 6 miles. However make sure to pay attention because very little signage and bring a good GPS.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Very rocky therefore not good for mountain biking

Monday, May 01, 2017

There were tons of trails at this location with access to the water which was nice. The biggest issue was nothing was marked! No signs anywhere. We took wrong turns several times which nearly doubled the 5 mile distance we expected. Definitely do not go without a good GPS. Not what we expected at a state park.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great Hike along the Patapsco! Dog friendly, moderate elevation.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Great trail but can use better signage

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Dog friendly, but easy to lose the trail without the map.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Moderate technical, not all areas are marked, but easy to route back, much parallel with river, train tracks. A favorite for mtb.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Really enjoyed this one. I did a big loop that was about 6.25 miles total. Some uphill but not a lot. The majority is flat with the river in your side. I definitely want to come back with my bike as the trails looked like a ton of fun for mountain biking. I only saw 4 people total after 3 hours on the trails. Two were on bikes and two were walking. These trails are clearly used for horseback riding a lot as well as there is evidence on the trails. I saw 6 people on horseback across the river but never encountered them along the trail.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Closer to 6 miles than 4.9. Not terribly technical, and the trail is slightly easy to lose at certain points if you're not paying attention.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Awesome. Narrow trail for biking but perfect for a stroll along the river.