Owen's Creek Campground Loop Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(52)
Catoctin Mountain Park

Owen's Creek Campground Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sabillasville, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 908 feet Route Type: Loop

Nicely wooded trail explores Owen`s Creek and Deerfield Nature Trail. The trail begins at the Sawmill Trail parking lot. Start with a short ascent along a boardwalk to the sawmill. This 1800's era sawmill is really fascinating for the youngsters interested in how things work. As you examine the mill try to figure out how the spinning circular motion of the water wheel is redirected into the reciprocal motion of the saw and then try to figure out how the logs were moved forward! You will pickup Deerfield trail just past campsite #30. The trail is nicely maintained here and the interpretive guide (from the visitor's center) certainly adds interest. The trail is very well marked and the map will help considerably with the only tricky spot just after you cross Foxville-Deerfield Road. Here keep an eye out for a sharp ascending left trail. This is your trail. Throughout the trail you will see the tell-tale Catoctin greenstone, lots of Beech, Maple, and Oak, and the occasional Jack-in-the-pulpit.

We were looking for a hike that wasn't too crowded during the pandemic. This one was perfect! We got off to a great start when my daughter and I saw our first scarlet tanager. It was perched on a log and let me get close before hopping off. I have never seen such a beautiful bird. We saw so many beautiful wildflowers and thoroughly enjoyed the streams and underground springs we could hear gurgling along the hike. The trail was quite muddy and wet in many places. This was not a difficult hike. There were so many fascinating things to see along the way, including tree burls and tree fungus. I would highly recommend it, especially in spring.

I did not have high hopes for this trail because it wasn’t near any summits or vistas, but it surprised me as my favorite Catoctin trail so far. The elevation doesn’t vary too drastically and the slight bits that do are switch-backed, making this a good trail for beginners or youngin’s. I like that you can be at a babbling brook one moment, in a thick canopy the next, and then an open forest area after that. This is a good one!

Great Trail for kids. Easy and not too much elevation change.

This was a great trail. It was rocky and muddy however it rained the morning of our hike so it was to be expected. Great views of streams and just an all around great hike. We did however clock it at 6 miles and the elevation gain is only about 450. Still a good work out.

It is a Sunday in January following a snow storm. The Trail was icy and muddy but clear. Definitely want to check it out in the spring.

WOW! Love this trail! Just a few heads up you should be aware of. First, were the All Trails app takes you to is the picnic area so you will be hiking counter clockwise. Second, about 3/4 (probably just a little more than that) of the way around the listed loop you need to follow the blue blaze's for the campground trail if you want to stay on the All Trails loop. Thirdly, most of the trail has very little cellphone service. And lastly, the last half mile of that loop is along side of a road. So keep an eye on the kids and pets. The trail itself is beautiful. Lots of streams and creeks. There is one creek crossing. Two if you count the one under ground. lol Just before the shelters, there is a small family graveyard. Please be respectful. I did run into mud and standing water on the trail, but that is to be expected after two days of rain. Just as you hit the road at the end of the trail, there is a saw mill display. Can't wait to do this one again and spend the night. Oh, one last thing. Horseback riders also use this trail. Watch your step if you what I mean.

real nice walk for a five year old.

closed

Sat Apr 21 2018

I did this trail as a shakedown hike with my new backpacking gear. Made a reservation for 1 of the 2 shelters (equipped with outhouse and fire pit) that are located close to the halfway point. Perfect setup for this, or even just for a quick overnight trip. The trail has some moderate ups and downs, nothing to serious. Well marked trail. I loved the shelters. The surrounding trees are gorgeous and a little stream meanders behind the site. Leaves were not yet on the trees, so stargazing was possible and the sky was dark enough to see more than in town. I will definitely be back!

Sun Nov 19 2017

Had the trail to myself on a cool November day. Nice trail, little Rocky in places with a section of really big trees that must have blown down recently.