Oregon Ridge Park Trail

Oregon Ridge Park Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cockeysville, Maryland that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a loop trail combining the loggers trail and the yellow trail at this park. It is visually appealing as you feel like you are away from the city. Unfortunately, the road noise will remind you that you are not. Has good ups and downs and some river crossings which were quite fun (good balance and coordination will help or you might get wet). There are other trails and fire roads connected so you need to look up every now and then to make sure you are on the right trail. Trail is mostly well marked on the trees (some markings are a bit faded on the yellow trail) Overall fun little hike. I clocked in at 4.46 miles.

Nice easy to moderate trail... only moderate because of some water crossings and a few short steep ascents.

This is definitely a runnable trail for nearly the entire way—just a few places where you would need to walk.

Fun, easy trails with a few water crossings.

Nice trail!

This place just holds a special place in my heart. It's not a difficult hike, although on certain loops it can be challenging (in the best way). Great hike for the pups because there's a lot of water for them to swim in! I miss the old lake area, but aside from that, it's still a great place for a short or long hike, depending on your mood.

As compared to other trails on here, I think that this falls under 'moderate' based on creek crossings and elevation changes! That said.. wonderful hike and great place to bring your dog.

great trails. scenic. some tough hills, but good for training for longer ventures.

Great weather for hike.

Nice trail but very crowded. Lots of rude trail joggers with no trail etiquette. Several times they would just run right behind you without a word. The trail itself is not really blazed well.

Great hike that's easy to customize. There are a few sections of the yellow trail that I would call moderate, but overall it's easy and well-marked. Nice pond at almost the halfway point where you can stop for a break. I love finishing with the orange trail as I head back to the parking lot. Although I was sad to see that the old log bridge finally broke, the new one is probably a lot safer.

Friday, February 24, 2017

I just started running here with my dogs. I've been probably 5 or 6 times now. Beautiful trails, very well marked, enough variety in length of trails. There are some spots that look like they are being repaired but are still travel-able, and there is some construction being done on the 'ski slope', but my dogs and I could get a 4.5 mile run in without backtracking so that was nice.

Everything was well marked and there are intersections of the red and yellow trails that have a map stand, as well.

Update August 2017: So I still run here weekly, and still enjoy it for 4-5 mile trail runs and hikes. I mostly go during weekday mornings because on the weekends, it is PACKED. Starting early, there are hikers and runners with dogs, kids, and strollers, and it is not awesome. I highly recommend OR for weekday outings, and if you go on the weekend, be prepared for crowds and keep your dogs on a leash.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My favorite trail, though I give it 4 stars because it can be a bit confusing in a couple spots. Be sure to check out the nature center while you're here!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

The trail is very hard to distinguish, and I had difficulty staying on one trail due to the difficulty of finding the markings along the trail.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Very good trail for an afternoon hike

Friday, August 26, 2016

The trail is probably usually wonderful. But after walking the "red trail" today I was a bit disappointed to see all the logging. Parts of the trail are not accessible due to it being an active logging site. The trails that were open however were very well maintained. The staff I did not speak to but everyone gave me a very friendly wave. I hope the paths get reopened soon. I would like to go again.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

I enjoy seeing the woodpeckers and the songs of the thrush. The streams are a splash.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Nice park. Depending on your skill (or energy level) this park has a nice variety of trails (varying in length) to choose from.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Fantastic! Nature Center is really cool too

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I came here after work and the loggers trail (red) was great. It was short enough that I could finish the hike before sun down. I'm looking forward to doing the longer trail (yellow) on a weekend with more time.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Great trails that were for the most part wide enough for groups. Good trails for a lazy pup with hey well-maintained wooded scenery. I will definitely go back!

Monday, June 15, 2015

It was a great. We had a great time walking down the lake, there were people riding horses, fishing and running. Very nice trail to go with some friends or just for a run.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I jogged this trail and really enjoyed it. I kicked off near the playground and decided to head clockwise onto Loggers Red Trail (red). The initial run is pretty steep and you'll be a bit out of breath by the top. So much for a warm up!!! From there it flattens out. At one of the next major intersections I decided to branch out onto the James Campbell Trail (yellow). This was both a terrible and glorious decision. From a hiking perspective, it is very beautiful and scenic. From a trail running perspective, it's a bit steep and the floors not very level. Glad to have made the choice though! At the end I hit blue which is just a down hill to the parking lot. This section is more falling than running. Overall I'm was very happy with this run. A bit dangerous, but well worth it if you're fine with the occasional walk. 4/5 - would run again.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

This isn't the place of solitude unless you come very early .

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Loved the trails but poorly marked a d there were no maps to follow. Ended up out on the road somehow.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Not sure who created this particular "trail", but there is more than just one trail here. The Yellow Loop is the longest. There are also a Blue and a Red trail. The Yellow Loop does cross over a creek four or five times so be prepared to go from rock to rock in order to make your way across. It's a beautiful hike and many people go with their dogs.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

This a great wooded loop that provides several nice hill climbs and stream crossings. It can get crowded if you go there on a summer weekend. Make sure you know where you are going once on the trail so you can make use of the full loop. If you take a wrong turn you risk missing the best parts of the hike!!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Went here a 2-3 weeks ago for a hike with my wife and our dog. Saw a lot of other dogs that day, so if you are looking for a hike without dog traffic this may not be your best bet. We were planning to do the 4-mile loop depicted on the map but had a little trouble following the trail past the northern section of the lake (going clockwise), which I learned later was the Loggers (Red) Trail. I think we must have gotten onto the Iron Mine (Gray) Trail. Ended up backtracking to the parking lot and finding the Lake (Orange) Trail which goes on the southern side of the lake, followed this to the first gas line and onto the Virginia Pine (Green) Trail, turned right on the Loggers (Red) Trail, then came down the Laurel (Blue) Trail back to the parking lot. Must have done about 2 miles including the initial confusion. Anyways, I would suggest trying to get one of the trail maps when you get there (I think there was a kiosk around the parking lot, and possibly they have some maps available at the nature center), which shows all the inner loops with their names and colors of blazes described above. It was a nice hike- beautiful woods and some huge trees in the area- and I hope to get back sometime to explore the southern section, esp. along Baisman Run. The nature center was wonderful, with all kinds of displays and animals that are found in the area, quite an unexpected treat for me. I think children would really enjoy it, and I vaguely remember seeing postings of nature programs they do. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Beautiful area with lots of options, some stroller friendly choices and kids activities also.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Very nice trails, several choices for walking and a lovely lake