Old Quarry and Little Gunpowder Loop

Old Quarry and Little Gunpowder Loop is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kingsville, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 328 feet Route Type: Loop

In the CENTRAL area of The Gunpowder Falls State Park is some very easy trails to be found. You have the Big and the Little Gunpowder Streams that are both accessible from Belair or Jerusalem Road. Parking lots are located directly at the Trailheads. The Trail that follows the Stream is considered as the Thru-Trail and is well marked in WHITE. The Old Quarry Trail (AKA: Jesse’s) is marked in ORANGE and is a very easy trail to hike. It features a small incline with many switchbacks as you travel deeply into the forest. Most of the trail is flat dirt with only a few sections that get a bit rocky. The trail is wide enough that ticks may not be to much of a problem in the summer months. Both Hikers and Bikers share the trails in this location, so the Bikers are maintaining the Trails quite well. Trekking poles are not required in these areas because of the easy flat trails and there is really no steep grade.

My girlfriend and I wanted an easy trail to start off with and definitely got it! It was 3.5 miles along the WHITE and then ORANGE trail. Elevation wasn’t tough, we only encountered maybe 10-12 other people during the 1.5 hours who were mostly bikers (all very kind when passing), and it was very shady. In the future we’d like to do a trail with more flowing water (majority was deeper in the woods) and maybe something with some meadows. Overall, good with a few turns that were not super clear, but overall a nice easy trail to hike and seemingly enjoyable mountain bike ride!

Granted, I have a terrible sense of direction, but I expected better markings on the trail when a fork would appear. Went the wrong way twice

The trail was well marked and maintained. The portion along the river was easy and lovely. Once you start the orange marked portion, also call Jesse's Trail it begins to get steeper and rocky. I found it to be a good hike for a beginner.

The white trail was great, we enjoyed with the kids and dog. When we decided to take the orange trail, Jessie’s Trail, it became more challenging. Very rocky and uphill.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

This was my inaugural trail with AllTrails app, and I was so happy I had it. Is a beautiful setting, forested, lightly used trail, but the trail wasn’t marked well. There was a dried up water way that looked like the trail so we followed it. Thankfully, my map on AllTrails showed me how far off we were. We back tracked and kept going. You can hear beautiful song birds and see wildlife. I had my 3yo with me and I thought it was easy enough for him to do most of the time.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Attempted this trail, but never found the Quarry Trail (orange trail). Followed the white trail all the way until the end? Unsure if I hit Harford Rd or not. Out and back on the trail i took was about 7 miles. Only saw 3 people on the trail, couple fishing and some playing in the river.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Great in the fall

Thursday, October 19, 2017

I am an intermediate rider who does not enjoy trails with lots of rock piles and boulders, particularly if they require you to dismount. The little gunpowder trail on the white blazed side of the water is quite rocky. From the entrance to the quarry trail branch point, there are a number of minor water crossings that are strictly rock piles. I attempted to take the quarry trail, but the elevation is too steep and rocky. Perhaps an advanced rider could tackle it, but not me. Returned to the main trail, which is a mostly nice ride with lots of roots and a few more rocky sections. I found the little gunpowder trail and loop on the far side of the water to be much more enjoyable.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

There is an unmarked but well maintained trail on the other side of the little gunpowder. The parking lot and trail head is less than a mile north of the quarry trail lot on the right side of the street. This trail is an official trail but it is basically unmarked. Fortunately it is well maintained and easy to follow. The section of the trail along the falls between Harford and Belair roads is easy. A beginner could ride it, but it has a few challenging narrow switchbacks. Once you hit Belair road, the trail becomes much more difficult, definitely not for beginners. There is quite a bit of elevation and the narrow trails has many boulders and rock piles. It goes deep into the forest and is a fun ride, if you don't mind having to dismount a few times.

Friday, October 06, 2017

Pleasant stroll in the woods. Trail well maintained.

Friday, October 06, 2017

Very nice hike! Not jogging stroller compatible, recommend a backpack carrier there are a lot of rocks and roots.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

This a wonderful trail for spotting mushrooms and wildlife. The view from the overlook is stunning. Was a nice workout but not too hard to get in as a day trip while carrying a toddler. One of my favorite trails in the area.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Very nice

Friday, August 11, 2017

nice group of trails to mountain bike. a little overgrown in some areas but overall easily enjoyable. I didn't ride the actual loop with the elevation, I went from Bel air road to Harford Rd back to Bel air road on the opposite side of the river.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The trail itself is good and it's a nice walk through the woods. If you're looking for quiet and solitude, you may want to look elsewhere as the traffic noise on this trail is higher than others you could experience.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Make sure to stop and see the quarry view. At the peak of the hike there is a side trail to the edge.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

It's a nice trail. The first part takes you along the river. Once you get to the orange blaze it goes up hill for a bit. After you reach the top there a few ups and downs. Towards the end of the trail it gets pretty overgrown. To me one of the nice things about this place is the absence of a heavy people traffic.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

I really enjoy doing this trail along with the Jerusalem Mill trail. Right at the beginning,going up the incline, it can get a bit narrow so watch for bikes(I've yet to see one). The view at the top of the quarry is great and It's nice to stop for a few and take it in. You do have to go off the trail to get there but only about 50/100 feet, it will be on the right at the top.

recorded Recording - May 17, 03:17 PM