Morgan Run Natural Environmental Area Trails

Morgan Run Natural Environmental Area Trails is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sykesville, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 337 feet Route Type: Loop

Great hiking trail Our family hike with the dog was great. However, it was quite muddy and there was no sign of trail markers except for at the main entrance. Overall beautiful place to hike. Trails are clean and well managed. 01/12/2020 Sunny and highs 50’s

good but no shade

Horse trail. Ticks . I only do late fall.

private property

my boyfriend and I love this park; however, it's not good if you don't have several hours to get lost in it. the park is owned by Carroll county and thus we don't pay people to maintain it, it's all volunteer. the river is really nice to swim in if you can find the deep spot. It's not marked at all, so it's alot of blind wandering. definitely a good way to get exercise! make sure you check for ticks after you leave though.

Trails are nice and wide and kept well maintained. Good for horseback riding. Not much on a view.

Mon Aug 14 2017

A bit dull.

Mon Jul 10 2017

TO MANY TICKS!!!

Mon Feb 27 2017

My dog and took an early Saturday morning walk and as far as walks go it was just ok. I believe the trail was meant primarily for horses, well maintained but lacked any point of interest. There are too many really nice parks with trails in the area to warrant revisiting this one.

Tue Jan 03 2017

Nice scenery

Tue Oct 04 2016

Fine trail if you are a horse, the stream was nice.high grass..

Sat Sep 14 2013

Shame the other reviewer had to endure high grasses but the last three summer hikes I've done 2013 have had grass no higher than ankles (possibly a budget issue prior). I've never had a tick issue but I suppose that's because the grass is being mowed more often now. I rather like these trails and have a preference toward the ones to the right hand side as you enter the parking lot . These trails have a nice mix of sun and shade with larger trees on the perimeter and more wild grasses and small trees toward the interior. As the trail description notes this is a nice place to observe birds, wild plants and nature. The trails are very wide and mostly level so a family with children would appreciate. While horses use the trails I seldom see them and ones I do see have very friendly riders.

Sun May 15 2011

DEFINATELY NOT FOR RUNNING OR WALKING, ESPECIALLY WITH DOGS!!!!!! This trail is only suited for horseback riding. It is an all grass series of trails and the grass is knee high in most places. Within 15 minutes of walking this trail in mid-may, my two dogs accumulated a whopping 63 black ticks!! YIKES! I had ticks on me and my partner had ticks on him. It was frightful!! We got the Heebie-Jeebies and want to warn anyone nervous about Lyme disease NOT to use this series of trails for anything other than riding a very large horse. It is total sun, so great in the winter but not so great in the mid-summer.