Monument Knob via Big Red and Bartman Hill Trail

Monument Knob via Big Red and Bartman Hill Trail is a 12 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boonsboro, Maryland that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,188 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Strenuous hike from Greenbrier State Park to the Appalachian Trail leading to Washington Monument. This hike in Washington County begins in Greenbrier State Park bear Greenbrier Lake. With significant inclines, this hike passes Greenbrier Lake, and the Visitors center for Greenbrier State Park. It then ascends the Bartman Trail that connects to the Appalachian Trail. Heading south towards Washington Monument, the trail continues to climb. Many rocky trail sections, but no stream crossings. Some sections in Greenbrier SP can be muddy.

Great trail condition and all around enjoyable, but I was a bit underwhelmed by its difficulty level. I’d say it’s more of a moderate. I did this trail counter clockwise from the lake so Big Red trail first and it was easy as pie.... basically was a 5 mile warm up. The climb to Monument Knob was more difficult, but nothing earth shattering. Plenty of level spots to break up the steady inclines. The way down is a bit tough on the knees though (I am 27) so I’d recommend walking sticks if you have them. All in all I completed this in 4.5 hours. Next time I will go clockwise and finish off on Big Red.

Beautiful park and great trails.

Great trek; make sure to have bug spray. There are no wide-sweeping views but a lot of ups/downs .

Fri Nov 02 2018

Great hike.If you get an early start the lake is great in the morning light. To change things up I made a left on the AT off Bartman Hill and hiked over to Annapolis Rock.The Monument is nice but the view from annapolis Rock is awesome. If you start off Mountain Laurel Rd and follow this guide it is about a 13.5 mile hike.

Sun Jun 24 2018

The parking lot at Greenbrier State Park was full. So, I parked my car off US 40 start the hike at intersection of Bartman Hill Trail and AT. Great Hike. Nice views from Washington Monument. Parts of AT was very muddy.

Sun May 13 2018

Great hike for fitness enthusiasts and forest lovers—less so for big views. Has some of the best marked trails you will find. A lake for swimming and campgrounds. I had a great 9 mike hike w my daughter. Worn out! Happy.

Thu Sep 21 2017

I took my nine year old son and 7 year old son on this trail from route 40 that crosses over route 70. It was a strenuos hike, but we had transport meet us at Washington Monument State Park which made it much more tolerable. The end was tough but we were proud to make it to the finish!

Wed Jun 14 2017

Was nice

Mon May 29 2017

The loop is very nice yet pretty easy. When you go onto the actual Appalachian trail, the first part is hard and very steep. After you get through that, you need to pay close attention to the tree markings, I got confused and lost my way and I ventured off the trail a bit on accident. Great hike though and when you get to the top to the structure it is totally worth it.

Sat Apr 08 2017

Not many views along big red trail, but it was still a nice little loop. The challenging parts are mostly along the AT and Bartman's Trail. I recommend starting at the visitors center and going from there. Took us about 5.5 hours. Also, as a side note, park staff are super friendly and helpful. Unfortunately my phone died halfway down the AT trail so my recording is incomplete.

Tue Dec 27 2016

I started this hike from the Greenbrier State Park Visitor Center, took the Bartman Hill Trail, connected with AT, reached Washington Monument and back to the Visitor Center, total 6 miles with 1,600 ft elevation gain. It was a good workout with a view at the monument. Paid $3 entry fee per car at the Greenbrier State Park gate.

Fri Oct 21 2016

We did this hike last week and it was a lot of fun. Parking at the visitor center and starting the trail from there is a must. It starts out with .6 miles up hill which takes you to a split. You can either goto the Washington monument or Annapolis rocks. I would suggest goto the monument, then to Annapolis rocks. The 12 mile hike is well worth your time! There will be a lot of rock, so wear supportive shoes.

Mon Sep 19 2016

Great views but not a fan of the Rocky trails almost the entire way... My ankles were happy to check that one off!!

Sat Dec 01 2018