Lost Pond Trail

Lost Pond Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kingsville, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Second half of the loop was completely impassable. Poor maintenance throughout. some scenic views but unfortunately lots of trash as well. Should be rated moderate as well especially for the second half.

This was a pretty fun hike despite all the rain that day (actually made it feel a bit more exciting). There were plenty of scenic views of the river and pot rocks. Saw some cute frogs hopping around. Unfortunately there was trash in various parts of the trial: towels, beer cans and even underwear. Also coming back from the mid-point of the trail, it started looking like a jungle with all the overgrowth, and the trail started becoming difficult to see. Definitely would've gotten lost if it was dark out.

I’ve been to Gunpowder more times than I can count but never completed the lost pond loop. The pot rocks are a must see on this hike. Make sure you bring some swimming gear for this relaxing swim spot! I mostly liked this trail as a whole. Unfortunately when you get to the point where you loop to head back (near 95) the trail is not well marked and was super over grown. I would say we spent a good 45 minutes walking through this overgrown path. My poor pup had many thorns embedded in his fur. However the views of the gunpowder are very pretty and makeup for this part! The other unfortunate part is since the pot rocks are such a popular swimming spot there is A LOT of human trash on this trail. This made me very sad as it is such a beautiful place. Please remember to pack out what you bring with you!

My friends and I decided to take on hiking this summer, and this was our first trail we picked!! we brought the puppies and all had a blast, absolutely beautiful hike!! pot rocks were super cool and the purple wildflowers were absolutely breath taking. will definitely be coming back to this one!!

This is a lovely trail. I'm very new to the nature walk/hiking scene. This trail was beautiful and pretty easy as long as you don't mind getting your feet wet with the many stream crossings. We found a very nice spot to eat lunch on the pot rocks. The trail is pretty well marked, but there were a couple of times we were unsure. I was impressed with the wildflowers here. All in all, it was a great trail for a beginner!

Did this trail twice with my dogs. second time we encountered at least 6 dogs off leash. one attacked my little dachshund. We had to kick the dog off my dog to get it to stop. owner just stood there looking dumbfounded. We gave up and headed back when a second large dog off leash rushed us. on the way back a pitbull off leash tried to get to one of our dogs again, we picked him up before he could do anything. this is very unfortunate because it is a lovely trail but this experience was so horrifying I will never go back.

Gorgeous, even in late winter. There was one tricky part around the forest loop where the trail is not clearly marked when you come to a river crossing and we did end up off the beaten path for about 5 minutes before finding it again. I would love to come back in the summer to see everything in full bloom. Cutting down to see pot rocks is a must. There are seats naturally eroded into the rocks where you can eat lunch. But speaking of that, something that did bother me was the amount of human trash I saw along the trail, which was disappointing.

Nice hike with beautiful leaves changing colors. Definitely recommend a backpack carrier for any little ones because some of the paths get pretty narrow and there are multiple streams to cross on rocks.

Hiked this trail with a friend. I have it clocked at closer to 5.75 miles than 4.1 according to the Fitbit. Beautiful views of the water, plenty of places to stop for photos and walk out on the rocks. The Lost Pond Loop is very nice (we didn’t see an actual pond) and takes you deeper into the woods. Note, the second half of the Lost Pond Loop is overgrown, and single person only. Lots of sticky plants so be careful. Also note there are several stream crossings on this trail. Overall we still really enjoyed the trail. Hiked in autumn with beautiful changing leaves.

Was beautiful scenery, enjoyed it with friends

Great after work hike. Nice views of the river. So some ducks and deer.

This is a nice trail for families if you cut it a bit short. I hike here with my 2yo daughter and she enjoys it. we hike out to the large rocks about a mile or so out and have lunch sitting on the rocks (they are on the right just past the trail split for lost pond loop) then we hike back. Its a good distance for her she just starts to get tired and wants to be picked up when we get back to the car. Lots of young adults use this trail most of the summer so it tends to get littered with beer bottles and trash, i take a couple bags and a day pack and try to clean up some as we hike. If everybody did we could keep this trail relatively clean.

Pretty good trail. Dogs loved going in and out of the river. A bit crowded today.

Very nice trail for a leisurely hike and a cool dip in the river. The fishing for small bass and panfish is incredibly fun. The parking lot fills up fast as does some of the sandy areas of the river. There seems to be a problem with people leaving trash and adult beverage containers all around, especially on hot days. Please pack out what you bring. Too many people at the Pot Rocks in warm weather so I usually hike the Wildlands trail through the tunnel on the other side of the park. There are geocaches throughout the park. Enjoy.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice easy beautiful trail!

Monday, July 31, 2017

I went hiking with my dogs we all love it

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Fun for kids and dogs!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This was an amazing walk/hike. I am by no means a hiker - this was my first time out hiking in maybe 10 years. The Lost Pond trail is pretty easy with the exception of lots of rocks as you get closer to Pot of Rocks. We also weren't really expecting to cross a stream and ended up detouring on the Sawmill Trail in the wrong direction. We enjoyed it though! Much steeper, some waterfalls, and there was no traffic so it was very peaceful. When we got to the other side of that trail we had to redo the ground we already covered in Lost Pond. Worth it though! We crossed the stream we overlooked (fun!) and made our way to Pot of Rocks. It was fun climbing over the massive rocks and lots of people were swimming. I recommend going early (8 or 9) since as we left around 1130 there was a TON of foot traffic and a full parking lot and cars lining Bel Air Road. Easy hike - if you want an bit of a challenge do the Sawmill Trail on your way in. Made it feel like more of an accomplishment.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Trail was ok hike for a hot day. Did the loop that includes the Sawmill branch trail which was definitely worth it. Pretty added loop. There were A LOT of people frolicking in the river and the parking lot was packed. parts of the trail after pot of rocks was pretty overgrown but easy to follow.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Nice loop trail. Takes you past pot rocks which is a nice spot to relax. Part of the trail is a little tight from overgrowth.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

This was a beautiful hike! Plenty of views of the Forrest, water, and nature that inhabits both! I read the reviews about the Trail being overgrown and markings but figured it wouldn't be that bad. Yes, it's a Trail and it's narrow at points with vegetation all around but it is clear and marked. If you're from the city and/or don't like vegetation, mud, and insects touching you then this isn't your Trail. It gets tight at points but is overall a great hike! Well worth it. It looks like most people stop at Pot Rocks. I really suggest continuing and finishing the trail. The Trail out to Pot Rocks is very clear and well marked. After that it gets narrower and a more hilly/vegetation covered. We went after it rained at night so it was muddy but so much fun! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great morning walk

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

The pictures do not do this trail justice! It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL when everything is nice and green and the weather is warm. The only downfall is once you pass the crossroads for the pot rocks and lost pond area, the trail gets very narrow and there are a lot of thorns. I can't wait to go back.

Friday, April 28, 2017

My boyfriends and I enjoy this trail on a nice Saturday morning. The only downfall is it can be very busy on the weekends.

Monday, April 03, 2017

very nice trail, once you get about 2 miles into it you'll have the trail to yourself and its nice and peaceful.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

awesome trail, great for kids and dogs.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Nice little trail. Walked in winter with mild snow on ground and had no problems following the trail. Nice views occasionally.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great hike! Not too crowded and beautiful views!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Pros: Great hike, especially for young kids. We brought out 4 year old and 7 year old on the hike and made it down to the pot rocks and back with minimal complaining. Lots to see and explore, will definitely do again.

Cons: A bit crowded, and parking lot was jammed, I'd go again on a weekday to avoid the throngs.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Really pretty. Not super well marked and parts are really overgrown. I would have got lost without the app