Liberty Reservoir Morgan Run Loop

Liberty Reservoir Morgan Run Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Reisterstown, Maryland that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I had great time hiking this trail, but, lots of mud and bugs. I slipped twice on the trail. Also, great views of the lake and few stream crossing. I saw turtle hiking the trail. Part of the trail was washed away forming crack across the trail. I jumped across the crack.

Was running great in the beginning until I went off course. I would rather rely on blazes when running but the course is not marked, so I GPS'd it. The problem is that sometimes GPS deviates and sways away from the way you are actually going. When I was going the right way, I thought I was off course because my GPS was swaying. Secondly, because the course is not marked, I missed two turns that I should have taken, as I was rightfully focusing my attention on running and foot strike.

Another thing about this trail is that the elevation profile may be a bit off. The course description has it listed at 1,210 feet but I ventured about a mile over distance using the posted recording, and I logged only 1,053 feet -- 157 feet less!

This course needs blazes due to the elevation profile and rocky terrain -- one has to focus on that, especially while running. The last reviewer is right. I finished but also found the course a little confusing. Nonetheless, this is my kind of course.

Completed: 07/08/2018

The trail is a little confusing for running. We got lost and ended up turning around some how.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012