Learn more

Liberty Reservoir: Liberty West-Morgan Runs Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(244)
Liberty Reservoir Cooperative Wildlife Management Area

Liberty Reservoir: Liberty West-Morgan Runs Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Reisterstown, Maryland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 987 feet Route Type: Loop

Good shading and nice views of the river, watch out for over grown monster pigeons around the route closest to the river

66/20: The trail is open. We got 8.4 miles in. We ended up on the red trail which was an out and back. beautuful scenery, nice hills. the trails are clear. we saw a few people along the way but most of the time we had the trail to ourself.

closed

It's a perfectly acceptable trail. Some decent views, modest hills, and so on. It's nice and peaceful in the woods. That said, Liberty Reservoir is currently *closed* due to COVID-19, and police actively patrol this area and give out tickets. People also apparently tear down the signage indicating the closure, so even if it doesn't look closed, trust me, it is. I got a $50 parking ticket today; don't be like me.

echo what others have said about being muddy. It hasn't rained in a while but was still very muddy at spots. my hiking poles came in handy. Lots of hills for a good workout! on a nice day on a Sunday there were not that many people. I passed a person or couple every 45 minutes or so. nice views of the water. reccomend sunglasses also.

Nice hike through the trees and around the reservoir. Gets somewhat muddy.

Make sure you are on a mountain biking trail, a lot of hiking trails to get lost on throughout.

Great trail Beautiful fall foliage

Hiked this 11am-1pm on Saturday 9/28/19. I hiked it as an out and back from to/from where the peninsula loop starts, so it was an hour each way. I love the peninsula trail but prefer the scenery of it from that trailhead instead. Only passed 2 couples on the trail that entire time, though there were several cars at the trailhead. Only an occasional bug buzzing in my ear, so I imagine it might get buggy in summer. Pros: shaded, generally wide trail (since most if not all of it is a fire road), good mix of elevation, not very muddy (though it’s been really dry lately so I imagine can get muddy since there were a few spots of it) Cons: traffic sounds for the first/last 15 minutes, not many views of the reservoir, some horse poop (though not as bad as some other trails at Liberty)

Sun Jun 23 2019

Was a very enjoyable walk on a gorgeous day. I loved knowing that I burned 1400 calories walking 8 miles. I started at 8:30 am and finished at Noon and that included a 15 min break. There were a few muddy spots in the shady areas, but not impassable nor got my shoes all mucky. The trail was wide but wish there were signs at the forks in the trail. If I didn’t have this app, I could have been going in circles and not know it.

Thu Apr 25 2019

I was hiking Wards Chapel trail recently. I noticed dirt bike tracks going into the trail and along the single track trail. Starting at 48 Wards Chapel road. It is starting to look a little tore up. Anyone know who to contact to report this.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Sun Feb 24 2019

A good portion of the trail is regularly wet and some of those spots are in clay soil so you sink up to your ankles in boot-sucking clay. It rained this morning so that moisture is just sitting on the trail; there are drainage issues along the trail (there is no drainage). The majority of the trail is a multi-use trail where 4 wheelers and horses have dug some deep ruts. Road noise seeps into the woods for the first couple miles, but after that, the birds can easily be heard. This is a nice trail with some decent views along the way but it’ll probably be my only time out on this one.

Sat Feb 16 2019

Another pretty mid winter hike on the reservoir. Some horse traffic leaving large trail in Prince, particularly in the muddy areas. Overall a beautiful 5 mile loop-ish, with only a few others enjoying the trail. Lucy and Stella (four year-old goldendoodles) loved it!