Liberty Reservoir: Liberty West-Morgan Runs Trails

Liberty Reservoir: Liberty West-Morgan Runs Trails is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Reisterstown, Maryland that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

trail out about a mile in due to the rains, blew out a culvert

Revisited.

Completed 07/11/18

As good as it gets on a calm, clear sunny day (87F).

This was an after work 4-mile out-n-back, where I posted a 2-mile waypoint turnaround. Great 50-60 minute workout.

Really great challenging training run. The hills are real and the out-and-back provides a rewarding view in a nice setting. Some technical terrain on the up and downs but packed dirt and smooth sailing enough of the time to provide some relief from hills. I did this route and logged 7.6m.

Really nice trail that isn't too crowded. Shade is in short supply in Spring, but had a nice summer canopy.

Great hike with beautiful scenery and nice trails

Has some great hills for running.

at the end the trail markings were really hard to follow as there werent enough of them. we ended up looping instead of leaving. bring a compass to help with this, my phone couldnt get gps. But the rest is great!

The end has a great view of the reservoir.

Lots of mosquitoes due to some sitting rain water but there was a little breeze so it wasn't intolerable.

Nice hike and nice views of the lake.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

While the footing is good, it is a vigorous, rolling hilly trail. You will either be climbing or descending with little to no flat areas. The first 1/3 out is right along the reservoir offering great views as you go up Miners Hill. Once past Miners hill you move away from the Reservoir into the forest. The last one third of the way out has the best views as you trace the top of the ridgeline out to the peninsula point. I did this during the summer, so I believe that once all the foliage falls off in late fall you will be rewarded more for your efforts.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

This is a nice hike. Has some hills throughout so it's a nice workout. A LOT of side trails. Though the main trail is blazed mostly and pretty wide, it's easy to either a) be way too curious (like me) and wander off into the side trails or b) simply take the wrong trail. You get little peaks of the reservoir throughout the hike and the nice main view at the "end" of the hike. I sat and had lunch there. Lightly trafficked earlier in the day and once you get a little farther in you can no longer hear traffic from the main road.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

I found the trails to be very clean and well marked but I used this app if I wasnt sure and it worked perfectly. Moderate hike with a some up and down. Make sure you don't miss the start- it is immediately on your right as soon as you cross the bridge over the reservoir coming from Eldersburg. All in all a great hike, would def go again!

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Beautiful views and a quite, well-maintained path in early Spring.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Wide trail. Up and down so good workout.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Nice walk. Red fox, deer, lots of beaver signs. I am fussy, too near civilization!

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Great hike with friends today. Did the West Morgan Loop which measured about 7.4 miles (slightly longer than advertised in the "60 Trails within 60 Miles" book. Lots of hills made it a great workout. Helpful to frequently check the Trails App to make sure of turns. Got feet wet at the Little Morgan Run crossing which added to the fun.

Monday, September 26, 2016

The beginning there were lots of falling down trees but after that it was a fun trail

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nice trail I had the pleasure of seeing two deer nice
A little hot but all an all great day in the woods

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Super convenient location and great trail. Definitely NOT an easy trail because there's lots of climbing and descending that will test your endurance and drive!

Not a technical trail so it's great for everybody, but be ready to be pushed physically. Great views too!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Pretty but full of trash from those who had been fishing.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

The footing was very rough and the ground was soggy despite the fact that it hadn't rained for days. It was so buggy that I was running into flies and bees constantly. I definitely wouldn't recommend running here. The views were kind of nice, but not worth it.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Simple, clear, scenic hike. The trail ways really wide so it was easy to follow the trail. There were some walkways off the main trail that led to the water. Perfect place to set up our ENO hammock and look out into the water! Good place for jogging and riding a bike for sure.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

I've only been here twice, both on weekdays. I like that it is quiet and not at all crowded. I imagine it picks up on the weekends, though. I do like the wide trail, it's easy to follow and there are some nice views of the woods and the water. I think there is a smaller trail, which I tried following but then lost it. My low rating is because of all the old rusted piping and trash that litters the trails, especially the smaller one. Sad that people treat what could be a scenic and pleasant trek this way. It's because of all the trash that I find this trail less enjoyable than others. I'll still come here because it close to where I live.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

good trail but had damage due to recent rains. pretty well marked trails with great views of reservoir.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Good hike. The trail was damaged pretty bad in some areas because of all the rain we've had but a good hike with the right amount of hills to make it a good workout. Pup friendly and relatively easy.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

I'm not sure how the loop was supposed to work, but I followed the red-blazed trail in and out, and had no problems. It's a big, wide trail, and when there were intersections, there was always a red blaze within sight. The distance seemed close to the proposed 6.7 miles. (I think I took around 14,000-15,000 steps, which is about right for that distance). A little bit of up and down, but nothing strenuous. Also has pleasant views along the reservoir.

Monday, July 27, 2015

Loved the fact that it was challenging...However, the trails aren't well marked at all. I followed a blue trail on the way back & it went into an area that had "Private" spray painted down a tree. Easy to get lost. Lucky GPS was working on RunKeeper so it was challenging but doable to get back to the trails.
I took the entrance near Cherry Tree Hills & ended up trekking near the reservoir itself instead of following the trail b/c the trail wasn't really marked. After wearing myself out near the reservoir b/c it wasn't at all well traveled, I trekked north hoping to find the trail that shifted & after a short time I found it again. Not too terribly difficult but challenging.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Just did it today, except it aint no 6.7 miles....(unless I took a wrong side trail, which my guess is I did!)....first leg up to the power lines was for cupcakes, the second half was a LOT more challenging and if you don't have good directions you could easily lose your way, here is a great reference: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/morganrun.