Liberty Dam Trail

Liberty Dam Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Marriottsville, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 32 feet Route Type: Out & Back

All you hear are gunshots. I turned around as soon as I arrived each time.

Beautiful hike! Little muddy out from the rain but otherwise the trail was clear. I will be going back :)

Beautiful hike. We brought our cockapoo and he loved it! We will be taking this trail again soon! Got some great shots for the GoPro too.

easy out and back with a fun view of the dam.

Overall, this hike wasn’t bad at all. It was beautiful and shaded. It was nice getting out in nature and hearing nothing but bugs, birds, water flowing, and wind blowing. Today was gorgeous weather as well. However, I chose this hike based on reviews of others saying that it was an easy trail for 2 year olds. It should be made known that it might be an easy trail for 2 year old who is used to hiking, but not one that is going for the first time. My daughter is super free spirited and independent. There were some steep and super muddy areas. She of course didn’t want me to carry her across because she was adventuring. We managed and enjoyed our hike (more of a massive workout), but then made it to the dam and it wasn’t even releasing water. What a bummer! It was gorgeous nonetheless. Overall, a good experience.

This is a beautiful trail along the river and to the base of Liberty dam. About 100 yards from the dam is a trail that leads up to the top above and has wonderful Vista of the dam and reservoir. The trail head is at the sharp curve right where it begins to be a private road. there are several places to park along the road from the highway to the private road. check my recording for way points.

Nice easy Sunday morning hike. Views of the dam are great.

It’s a nice easy trail on a warm day. We have hiked it twice with our toddler and she has a great time. It gets a little muddy but it’s a well beaten path with rocks and logs along the muddy spots. The dam is beautiful. A fun destination to relax and cool off in or beside the water.

Easy for kiddos. My 2 and 3 year old walked the entire trail. The view of the dam is awesome.

best to start on Marriotsville road.. if you start at the dam you will have to scale down a steep trail to get on the trail.. some muddy spots,short, but a good reward of the damn at the end

An easy walk to the beautiful dam.. Its a great place for fishing or just relaxing... Its great for kids and pets too.

Had an amazing day on the trail. Took our 2 yr old son with us and he had no issues at all, walked most of the trail. Once you get to the dam at the end of the trail if you follow the rocks down hill and to the left you'll find an awesome spot to skip rocks and relax. Even have a perfectly situated rock that you can use as a back rest and relax and listen to the water.

it was cool to walk to the dam from the bottom. not the best view along the trail.

Trailhead starts at the second pull off parking area on the gravel road. Trail splits at about .5 miles, take the trail to the right it’s less muddy and connects back to the original trail at about 100 yds.

Great family hike with young children- no hills or hazardous crossing. Beautiful green scenery.

Great hike for little kids with a fun area to throw rocks once you get to the dam. We took a 2 1/2 and a 3 1/2 year old and they had no problems.

Worth it

i have hiked this trail many times. My kids go with me often and they love it as well. its nice to hike a trail with the dam as the end goal. The bottom of the dam is good fishing at times as well.

Mon Jan 28 2019

Beautiful trail in Fall running beside winding river. A few "mind the gap" spots when crossing stream. Easy walk for Seniors. Interesting rock formation(s) along trail fantastic view of falls when you reach destination.