Jerusalem Mills to Harford Road

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(86)
Gunpowder Falls State Park

Jerusalem Mills to Harford Road is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kingsville, Maryland that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 469 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: To get to Little Gunpowder proper you have to cross the bridge on Bel Air Road and go down the stairway. If you attempt to cross at Hartford there is a narrow bridge with no pedestrian access that would be extremely dangerous to walk across since vehicles cannot see you as they come around the corner so walk back the same way.

Great first hike since the lockdown began! Got out here with my wife. This place is luckily only 10 mins from our house!

fun trail rocky in some parts.

This hike is (for the most part) easy! One of my go to's!

Looks like I am in the minority but I’d almost consider this a moderate skill level route rather than easy - if you do the full 6 miles. Make sure your footwear is up to the job. Trail terrain varies between rocks, roots, water crossing, blacktop, and mud so churned up it was like walking through brownie batter. The water crossing is not marked and right at that point there are several misleading trail blazes that take you in the opposite direction - while the correct way is not clearly marked at all. If you go to the end of the route, you have to cross four lanes of traffic at one point. And at the turnaround point is a glorious....parking lot.

Great trails albeit a little peanut butter-y in places. Fun little river crossing. I stopped and turned around at the first road crossing.. it was fairly busy and no clear trail on other side. For other dog owners- please keep your dogs on a leash, especially if the parking lot's mostly full.

Great hike, boots make it much easier

Nice easy trail.

Mon May 27 2019

Sat Jun 16 2018

Pretty solid trail

Sun Apr 15 2018

Good and easy trail. Took six eleven-year-old boys from J. Mills to Bel air Rd and back. The small water crossing was exciting,(not shown on the map, right after the first double back) I'd anticipate it to dry up in the coming months. Enough of a slope to let beginners get a small taste of what it's like.

Sun Aug 06 2017

My husband, our 3 year old son, and our golden retriever puppy did 4 miles of the trail. It was beautiful and peaceful. Good for families with small kids; they can walk for awhile and then be put in the carrier. We saw a group of firefighter cadets and 5 couples on the path. We will be doing this one again!

Wed Jul 19 2017

this trail is great, I am a novice mountain biker, but have plenty of history on 2 wheels. At first, I wasn't impressed at all, until about 2 miles in (after the open field of power line towers) my opinion instantly changed and I was having a blast. I gave 4 stars because of the rocks and roots, some spots are nearly impossible to ride through. I walked for a total of about 10 minutes in the first 2 miles.

Sun May 21 2017

Ran it today for the first time. Loved it.

Sat May 20 2017

I am new to hiking, but this trail was a great start.

Sun Apr 02 2017

Nice easy hike. Watch the switch over at Bel Air Road. Ended up on the trail on the south side of the river but that was fine. Nice picnic area for after the hike.

Tue Mar 28 2017

Good well maintained trail that is good for all ages

Sat Mar 25 2017

Well marked trail very well maintained. Great weather this weekend for a hike.

Sun Mar 05 2017

My amateur attempt at trail running, but a seriously awesome trail! A few areas of slick mud today, I think it rained 2 or 3 days ago. The parking lots were almost at capacity, but only ran into a few people on my run.

Mon Feb 20 2017

Nice hike along the Gunpowder, Well marked trail. Note: one of the streams kinda a pain to cross when it runs high but it was actually pretty fun.

Sun Jan 25 2015

You can actually start at either end, which is convenient. There's a parking lot at Jerusalem Mills and also one just south of where US-1 (Harford/Belair Rd) crosses the Little Gunpowder. Just like the shorter trails that start and end at the Mills, it's moderately hilly and rocky, which obviously makes it more difficult for the faster stuff (like running or biking). You can't really get lost, but it's easy to end up on the wrong loop and go a lot farther than you planned, so pay attention to the blue and white markings.