High Rock

High Rock is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Travel south/west on Westernport Road, passing Pine Swamp. From there, keep a sharp eye out for the turns in the road, and for any pull off. Watch for a yellow gate on the right, and a pull off on the left about a mile and a half from Pine Swamp. It's not marked with anything other than that.

Had fun getting incline with this one! We took the pine swamp road entrance to get onto Big Savage trail- no signs whatsoever except the acknowledgement of a natural area. The trail is very well blazed though. White blazes.

Somewhat rugged, rocky, and one pretty swampy traverse (very rainy summer) that really threw my boyfriend for a loop, but fun and definitely worth finding! Getting to the last little section of service road by the top was a relief, but that’s when the incline gets hard.

We parked on pine swamp road, just around the bend from the intersection of westernport rd. Small pullover on the side and a tiny white sign across the road (south side) marking the trailhead. People talking about a service road and only trekking 2.2 miles, I have no clue what entrance they used. We had a pretty dense, not well used but very well marked (in most places) trail. Judging by our pace/time it’s a little over 3 miles to the tower/fireplace/high rock from pine swamp road.

We climbed the fire tower only to learn after the fact that this is discouraged. Pretty wobbly! No wonder, it was built in the 30s and has been neglected since the 90s, if not earlier. If you can’t resist the climb I would not recommend more than two people go up at a time. I would not recommend more than one person go in the box at a time. The floor up there will give SOON. Don’t even put your water bottle on the plywood covering part of the floor. Glad we did it but yikes! Definitely my scariest tower climb.

Wish I could give it 4.5 stars.

Had a nice time on this trail. Up hill the whole way! Great views at the top, dogs had a good time and it tired them out!

Kinda steep on your way up but overall really nice trail! Easy to follow and the view at the top it great! Parking is a little weird though. You're basically parking on the side of the road.

Really good one hour round trip hike. Beast of a hill but it's a great workout and beautiful view at the end. Be careful of rattlesnakes, had a big one rattle at us and slide off the trail. Trail very well maintained.

easy and quick fire road. nice views. a good trail when you cant be gone all day.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Very nice walk on a beautiful day! Make sure you wear clothing that covers because bugs are bad in the summer and the plants are tall. The trail is very natural. Lovely personal hike if you want to get away!

Monday, July 31, 2017

It's a pretty short hike with a steady incline to the top. The view at the top is gorgeous. Unfortunately there is broken glass all over the ground under the tower, so be careful if you take your dogs. Not much else to say about it.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

It's short but tough in the incline going up to the summit but totally worth the view. Do not recommend doing this trail on a hot/humid day.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

was more of a off road trail for state access rather than your typical trail. beautiful view. I was undue that I went the right way because it's conservation land and I was afraid I was trespassing but I met some scientists doing wildlife work and they assured me it was open to the public

Sunday, March 26, 2017

someone help!! we drove up and down westernport rd and we could not find the entrance

Friday, February 24, 2017

Evy, or anyone else who is searching for this location, it is somewhat obscure to find. I think I tried every wrong direction before finding this beautiful trail. The basic idea is to travel south/west on Westernport Road, passing Pine Swamp. From there, keep a sharp eye out for the turns in the road, and for any pull off. Watch for a yellow gate on the right, and a pull off on the left about a mile and a half from Pine Swamp. It's not marked with anything other than that. Another very helpful link for this area: http://garretttrails.org/high-rocks-trail.html.

Monday, May 29, 2017