Hashawha Loop Trail

Hashawha Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westminster, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

been hiking here since I was a kid. love the wildlife and views. some of the unmarked trails are overgrown and ambiguous. we went last fall and it was much more accessible. great place to explore!

Easy to make a wrong turn which introduces interesting variations to the ride. Overall this is a nice beginner trail if you don't mind a bit of adventure and exploration. Take a map snack and plenty of water and enjoy the tide.

I live about 5 minutes from this trail and would rather go elsewhere. There are a few unmarked trails and if you accidentally take one you could end up in the middle of an empty cornfield not knowing which way you should go. Even for the “marked” trails, you end up in corn fields unsure where to go. Very frustrating!

Started out of the parking lot on the wrong trail. There are quite a few unmarked trails and roads but I generally stayed on the ridge for the first half of my hike then picked up the trail in the recording for the second half. Hiked 5.2 miles on a windy day after a big nor'easter. I was surprised to find very few blowdowns.

GPS lost signal and ended up doing a crazy long hike here hahaha

Great Hike. Also, check out the nature center.

When I come here I hike a combination of the Hashawa loop trail and the Union Mills trail. It is challenging if you try to make it that way. I usually do a 7 mile loop while carrying my heaviest backpack then try to get under 2 hours. It is also great for a moderate leisurely hike. I rarely see anyone on the trail. Go get after it!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I live local,and this was my first time doing the whole loop. The beginning part of the trail is wide, well groomed and flatish. I think of it as an upper and a lower loop. The upper loop is a steeper, moderate hike, the trail is single track and fairly overgrown in some spots. We saw lots of local wildlife, including a turtle, and many birds, and a beaver dam. There was a also a house from the 1800's and a 300 yr old white oak tree to see. I enjoyed the hike!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

I ride here often and would consider myself an intermediate rider. There are plenty of challenges and miles and miles of trails. Many of which I have never ventured into. Lots of challenging climbs, long downhills and some challenges you will discover. Be wary of hikers and dog walkers closer to the nature center as bikers must give right of way to hikers and an occasional horse. Map your ride and if you find yourself "lost", just head towards the nature center direction.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Not marked well

Friday, February 24, 2017

I hike and run here often with my dogs. The main loop is about 1.8 miles but there are offshoot trails that go further up and back. Off the fire road it's mostly single-track trails that are thickly overgrown with thorny bushes. Nearly impossible to see blazes and god forbid the trailhead or internet have an accurate map. The trails also overlap with the equestrian trails. Pretty easy to get turned around.

Decent parking, most everyone is friendly, dogs welcome, lots of wildlife.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Few different trails to choose from. my favorite is the vista trail aka white trail takes you next to the raptor cages. I have pictures posted. I love looking at the birds especially the bald eagle.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Family friendly!

Saturday, November 26, 2016

One of my favorites !!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

It's an okay hike but not well marked at all.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

The trails are poorly marked. I would also rate as easy, not moderate. Nice place for a family gathering.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Good experience. Was planning on doing the 3.3 mile loop, however, some spots were overgrown and it was wet, so I decided to head back. Only did 1.7 miles, but there was a variety of different terrain and scenery. Very quiet, beautiful place. Will definitely visit again on a dry morning.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Always a favorite with my dog who lives the stream.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Beautiful, peaceful and not at all busy. Great Fall walk.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Beautiful Hike in the Winter with snow covered grounds.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Definitely a nice place to hike the scenery is great and the passages are good to take a jogging stroller if you want to take a little one with you. Bring food and water as it is a long hike. And it's definitely Fido friendly.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Very nice variety of scenery and habitats--plenty of wild life. A short walk from the nature center is the injured raptor aviary, where you can see some beautiful injured birds (bald eagle, hawks, owls when we were there).
As you get further out on the yellow trail, the markings get a little confusing and don't really seem to follow the map. It is very easy to end up on equestrian trails by accident and make it a longer hike. Fortunately, it is possible to get back to the park through a connector trail. If you make our mistake (you will know you messed up when you have to ford a stream) follow signs to stay on the Lower Trail (reddish colored markers, spanning from red-orange to fuschia). Eventually, you will come across a wooden post on the left with very faint writing that points you down a trail towards the stream. At the bottom of the hill there will be a wooden footbridge that leads you back to the green trail.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Great place for solo or family hiking. Has a little bit of it all. From fire trails to some nice single track. There are lots of trails that connect to Hashawa trails. You can hike all the way to the Union Mills Homestead from the trails at Hashawa. :)

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Easy hike for my daughter and I. A bit slack on some of the markings when you get further out on the trail but nothing that leads you too far off course.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Get back to nature! Following the white triangles (Vista Trail) will bring you up a hill to discover--seemingly in the middle of nowhere-- a bird sanctuary that cares for wounded raptors! There you will meet a trio of owls, a pair of red-winged hawks, a something or another vulture, and a bald eagle named Cleopatra (info I learned from a nearby Geo-cache)! Definitely bring your camera! The green triangles lead you along another cool trail-- there's an old log cabin and, further along, a could of green metal bridges that lead to nice picnic tables! The third trail is denoted by yellow triangles & we can't wait to return so we can explore it. You should too-- I highly recommend!!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Absolutely one of my favorite trails...especially when taking kids. Fall of 2010 and Summer of 2011 were the two times we have been so far. The first time we just did the loop right around the nature center that ends near the bird cages and back to the parking lot. The 2nd time we did the larger loop which included the vista trail that brings you back around near lake Hashawa. This place has beautiful scenery, a nature center that is really neat to check out, and I've never seen it crowded or even busy. I'm always amazed the place is 100% free...its that nice.