Gwynns Falls Trail

Gwynns Falls Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Baltimore, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 180 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

They’ve found a lot of dead bodies in this park. Be mindful of that and get out before dark.

Good for a stroller but I don’t know where the start and end was. We started at a 6.5 mile marker based on the coordinates given by this app and then we made it all the way to the start of the trail without ever getting back to a car. We had to call an Uber. Maybe we should have taken the Gwynns Falls stream route instead of the trail route. There was a sign halfway through and we decided to do the trail route. Overall it’s very pretty, clean, and stroller friendly. We walked it with 2 toddlers. This was out first trail that we used from this app.

Love. Love this forest! I use to go off trail and found many many beautiful adventures. Forever in my heart. Love it. Great hike.

Sun Oct 07 2018

I chose mountain biking because the trail has paved portions, but also unpaved along the main trail. The park's history is true, but as far as I know no one has been killed here. I've ridden this trail for a little over 8 years and have never had a problem with not feeling safe sure to people. On the weekend you'll see lots of hikers and bikers after 8am. I ride early to avoid people and usually see many deer. The most danger I've ever seen was the occasional loose dog, but that's anywhere and I carry mace for such events. Also, the trail is a lot longer than 4.1 miles. You can take this trail all the way downtown close to the harbor. From the top trail head to Carroll Park is about 7 miles, and if you go back it's 14 miles. The only waterfalls are in Carroll Golf Course, but it's a manmade fall for excess storm water lol, and another true waterfall near the Windsor Mill trail head (this one is a shallow fall and it's about 30' below the trail.level so it's easy to miss). This is my main trail. No problems and I recommend it. I'll also add that there are abandoned parts if the trail that are really interesting to check out (unused pavilions and parking lots and old trails that snake through the forest). You'll need to come through quite a few times to explore all of the trail branches. Trail is mostly moderate with a few hills that will give you a workout on the way back. Bring water as the only water source is at the golf course.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Linkin Park is no place you want to walk. I used to live near there but there's bodies are all the time. stay away from Linkin Park. I live there or should I say around her in the early seventies and it was bad then and now it's even gotten worse.

Sun Dec 17 2017

I live in the area and hike through Leakin Park all of the time. I have never been concerned for my safety. But of course, it is wise to bring a friend and cell phone. The park has excellent reception. That being said, I am not sure which trail is being represented by this entry. The map looks like one leg of the GFT, a paved multiuser path. This path is over 15 miles, goes past Camden Yards, and has a great website and app if it's own. There are hiking trails within Leakin Park. The friends of GF/LP website is a good starting point for info. Check out our ParkRun! The stream that runs through the park is named the Gwynn Falls. There is no waterfall associated with it! Similar to the situation with the Jones Falls stream. The misnaming confuses a lot of people and is a bit unfortunate. Poor Leakin park suffers from its urban location. If you come hiking, please bring a bag to pick up some trash. We appreciate your help. As do the foxes, owls, and other critters that make the park their home.

Tue Aug 08 2017

My friends and I walked through the park but never found the falls. We had an eerie vibe the whole time and ended up turning around and walking back the way we came because we did not feel safe/weren't sure if we were going the right way. I later researched the park and found out that it is a popular body-dumping site (over 70 bodies have been found there - including the girl from the podcast "Serial"). There are better and safer places to hike around this area.

Fri Jul 28 2017

The pictures shown for this location are actually photos of the falls located off of the Jones Falls Trails. I visited Gwynns Falls today I confirm. In addition, as stated in many other reviews this trail needs a lot of maintenance.

Sat Mar 04 2017

Somehow we didn't find it as a loop. We started out at a trailhead on North Franklintown and kept walking because we thought it was a loop but ended suddenly up at the end of the trail-4 miles in the opposite direction of the car at dusk with freezing winds. Never saw the waterfall!

Mon Jan 16 2017

The trail definitely needs maintenance but it's a beautiful park. Wonderful amount of migratory birds to see. I would explore the park beyond just the gwynns falls trail, there are many cool trails on the northwest end of the park, along with a pavilion and nature center.

Mon Nov 14 2016

I should've read the reviews first.

Tue Oct 11 2016

the trail I took, definitely needed maintenance done. hard to follow. felt a bit unsafe for some reason. weird vibe. I had my dog with me. but at the end of the trail went straight back to my car.

Thu Sep 15 2016

Didn't feel safe. Read Yelp review about "murder problems" in the park. Didn't make it to the falls.

Tue Jul 12 2016

The trail is easy and flat in most parts. I started at the park & ride and quickly ran back to my car as I felt very unsafe by myself (car with blacked out windows repeatedly circling back and driving slowly by me when I'm alone. Nope!) I'm sure it would be fine most of the time. I ended up driving to the Windsor Mills Rd trailhead and started there. The scenery wasn't anything picturesque but it was nice to feel like I was outside of the city without having to drive too far.

Sun Apr 10 2016

the Alltrails address for Gwynns Falls Park took us to Switchback trail/McKeldon last weekend. That was a great trail! But now we're eager to try Gwynns Falls today.

Sat Aug 23 2014

Great trail for all levels of cycling. A few hills but mostly flat. Trail runs through the city but at times doesn't feel like it all. The sounds of the Gwynn falls river makes this ride truly serene at times. Trail is fairly maintained with a good mix of asphalt and off road. A little hidden gem in heart if city.

Sun Oct 07 2018