Gwynns Falls Trail

Gwynns Falls Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Baltimore, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I live in the area and hike through Leakin Park all of the time. I have never been concerned for my safety. But of course, it is wise to bring a friend and cell phone. The park has excellent reception.

That being said, I am not sure which trail is being represented by this entry. The map looks like one leg of the GFT, a paved multiuser path. This path is over 15 miles, goes past Camden Yards, and has a great website and app if it's own.

There are hiking trails within Leakin Park. The friends of GF/LP website is a good starting point for info. Check out our ParkRun!

The stream that runs through the park is named the Gwynn Falls. There is no waterfall associated with it! Similar to the situation with the Jones Falls stream. The misnaming confuses a lot of people and is a bit unfortunate.

Poor Leakin park suffers from its urban location. If you come hiking, please bring a bag to pick up some trash. We appreciate your help. As do the foxes, owls, and other critters that make the park their home.

My friends and I walked through the park but never found the falls. We had an eerie vibe the whole time and ended up turning around and walking back the way we came because we did not feel safe/weren't sure if we were going the right way. I later researched the park and found out that it is a popular body-dumping site (over 70 bodies have been found there - including the girl from the podcast "Serial"). There are better and safer places to hike around this area.

The pictures shown for this location are actually photos of the falls located off of the Jones Falls Trails. I visited Gwynns Falls today I confirm. In addition, as stated in many other reviews this trail needs a lot of maintenance.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Somehow we didn't find it as a loop. We started out at a trailhead on North Franklintown and kept walking because we thought it was a loop but ended suddenly up at the end of the trail-4 miles in the opposite direction of the car at dusk with freezing winds. Never saw the waterfall!

Monday, January 16, 2017

The trail definitely needs maintenance but it's a beautiful park. Wonderful amount of migratory birds to see. I would explore the park beyond just the gwynns falls trail, there are many cool trails on the northwest end of the park, along with a pavilion and nature center.

Monday, November 14, 2016

I should've read the reviews first.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

the trail I took, definitely needed maintenance done. hard to follow. felt a bit unsafe for some reason. weird vibe. I had my dog with me. but at the end of the trail went straight back to my car.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Didn't feel safe. Read Yelp review about "murder problems" in the park. Didn't make it to the falls.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The trail is easy and flat in most parts. I started at the park & ride and quickly ran back to my car as I felt very unsafe by myself (car with blacked out windows repeatedly circling back and driving slowly by me when I'm alone. Nope!) I'm sure it would be fine most of the time. I ended up driving to the Windsor Mills Rd trailhead and started there. The scenery wasn't anything picturesque but it was nice to feel like I was outside of the city without having to drive too far.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

the Alltrails address for Gwynns Falls Park took us to Switchback trail/McKeldon last weekend. That was a great trail! But now we're eager to try Gwynns Falls today.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Great trail for all levels of cycling. A few hills but mostly flat. Trail runs through the city but at times doesn't feel like it all. The sounds of the Gwynn falls river makes this ride truly serene at times. Trail is fairly maintained with a good mix of asphalt and off road. A little hidden gem in heart if city.

Saturday, April 01, 2017