Grist Mill Trail and River Road Loop

Grist Mill Trail and River Road Loop is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patapsco Woods, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Once again we continue to deal with all the rain in Baltimore. This old senior is Thankful that it's not been snow. As many of you know, I am a weekly hiker and after being trapped in the house for days I am ready to hit the trails. I mostly enjoy the earthen trails but after all this rain I recommend hiking the Blacktop. The River Rd. and Grist Mill is one of my backups after a lot of rain. The higher trails do dry out first but getting to them means hiking in the mud. Be kind to nature and give them a few days to dry out. Plus it's safer mainly if you have stream crossing. It's no fun falling in the Mud or water this time of year. Need information regarding Patapsco Valley State Park or a map I created of all the trails at Avalon, Orange Grove, Hilton, Hilltop, Glen Artney and Rockburn. Contact me.

Fascination of February, In Feb. 2010 we had two back to back blizzards. This Year has been totally different but it has indeed been muddy. We got 3 inches of rain on the 13th. & 14th. On Feb. 15, it was 60 degrees out and I was hiking in mud. Feb. 18, I was hiking in snow but it melted the same day so it was muddy again. Today, It was 76 Degrees and they are calling for the same tomorrow. The side trails were muddy so I decided to stay on the Blacktop Grist Mill trail. I wanted to go and check on the progress of the dam project. The park was fairly crowded and people were in good spirits due to the warm temperatures. Please note: Restroom at Playground are closed but there are Spot-A-Pots in place. Water Fountains are turned off. There is one down tree in the middle of the Trail.

Parts of the trail were very crowded and we had to step off the trail a few times to let mountain bikers pass by. The main trail was blazed with spray paint on nearby trees, but trails made by other hikers through the years make it a little difficult to follow in places. A lot of loud music was being played by people lounging at the river which reminded you how close to the city you actually are. Lot of good scenery and shade made the hike otherwise enjoyable.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016