Grist Mill Trail and River Road Loop

Grist Mill Trail and River Road Loop is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patapsco Woods, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Today it was quite warm out but I and a few other people got caught in a rain storm. I recommend hiking the Blacktop trails any time the weather is calling for rain. I did have a rain jacket but no pack cover. This hike was only to check on the progress of the dam removal. As I got started the rain busted loose and I turned back to seek shelter. There was 8 people standing in the restroom hall with the same idea. As that hard rain pasted many of us got back on trail. Much of the new sewer pipe is in place. It has to be relocation before the dam can be removed. Stay off the dirt trails for one day and be kind to nature. Give them a few days to dry out. It's no fun falling in the Mud. - Need information regarding Patapsco Valley State Park or a map I created of all the trails at Avalon, Orange Grove, Hilton, Hilltop, Glen Artney and Rockburn. Contact me. baltoken@yahoo.com

Parts of the trail were very crowded and we had to step off the trail a few times to let mountain bikers pass by. The main trail was blazed with spray paint on nearby trees, but trails made by other hikers through the years make it a little difficult to follow in places. A lot of loud music was being played by people lounging at the river which reminded you how close to the city you actually are. Lot of good scenery and shade made the hike otherwise enjoyable.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016