Grist Mill Trail

Grist Mill Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Catonsville, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was my only second hike since my ligament injure known as Plantar Fasciitis. It's still needs time to Heal but doesn't seem to get any better. I may need a operate after the holidays if it's a heel spur. After hiking 377 miles this year, this old senior may have done a bit to much. With my foot taped up like a football player I managed to walk a bit of this flat (boring) Grist Mill trail. With it being Thanksgiving Saturday and seasonally warm out the trails were crowded. I am hoping I can soon put my Santa suit on and be well enough to walk the trails. Ho! Ho! Ho! ( White Beard )

Love doing this trail! I have been twice now. Both times with a dog and once with a baby. Great trail paved and with awesome views and experiences!

Nice place to jog

Beautiful paved trail that runs pararell to train tracks still in use. Very nice ruins to see, an old dam and two really fun suspension bridges to cross

My friend and I started our hike at the Lost Lake parking lot. We started out on Grist Mill Trail. This trail was entirely paved (which was a little boring), but along the way, we spotted little viewing spots of the Patapsco River, tunnels underneath the train tracks, and even a few little tunnel-like passages that while I wouldn't recommend going into, were fascinating to see. At the swinging bridge off of Grist Mill, we crossed onto the Cascade Trail, which was much more rugged. It crossed streams and waterfalls many times and had lots of opportunities to explore the surrounding areas. This hike was only about 5 or 6 miles long but one of my favorites so far.

Easy scenic walk with beautiful views of the river on a wide, flat, paved trail.

Pretty crowded on a Saturday afternoon, especially near the swinging bridge, but overall a lovely, fairly easy hike.

It was Well maintained and nice hike. Went with few friends had an awesome time.

We did most of this trail while veering off here and there so our hike totaled 4.86 miles, but it was a beautiful day and lots to see on the hike. It was perfect for a first hike this season as we get our bodies used to it again, fairly level and even but the easy long decline at the start was definitely an incline to get the heart pumping by on the way back!! ...and the pups loved it!!

Great family friendly, dog friendly paved trail. Beautiful views of the park and river.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Date 1/11/2017 Great Hike and nice views of the river.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Excellent for bikes! Long paved trail that runs along the river. Optional side hiking trails off to the sides. Easy to make a day of it.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

This was a very nice trail. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and the temperatures cool. Went during weekday so wasn't too populated. When we got to the very end where the suspended bridge was we were about to turn around and walk back. There was a guy there that said there was another way if we were interested. We were. We prefer new trails instead of backtracking. We crossed the bridge and made a left and walked up the road about 100 feet. To the left, over the guard rail there is another trail. It is not maintained. It is not recommended for dogs, children, horses or after heavy rain. Rocky and rooty with several trip hazards so be careful. Some areas are steep down and up. After several hundred feet, you'll find yourself on a more maintained trail. This will be down by the dam. Keep river on your left and keep going until you see the very first suspended bridge. We crossed back over that bridge, made a right and followed the Gristmill trail back to our car. If you don't cross over the bridge and continue straight you'll be on a traveled road. We did not want to be on that road. So we just crossed the bridge and got back on the trail. Coming back that way made for a much more strenuous, experience.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Good trail for walking and biking. Great birding area. It is beautiful in all seasons. I like the Lost Pond area.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Starting in the Avalon area of Patapsco Valley Park near "Lost Lake", this is about 2.5 miles long, ending at a suspension bridge across the Patapsco River at Illchester Road. Near the trail end at Illchester also features the Illchester Train tunnel and ruins of the of the old St. Marys College, a former seminary. Entering the Avalon area of the Park, you will also see the Thomas Viaduct, built in 1835 it is the world's largest multiple arched railroad bridge with an arc and is still in use by trains today. Other highlights off the tail are a swinging bridge at Orange Grove and the remains of the Bloede's Dam (scheduled for demolition in late 2016) which was the world's first submerged electrical generating plant contained inside a dam. There is a small fee for entry into the Park.