Grist Mill, Sawmill Branch, Santee Branch, Cascade Falls, Ilchester Trail Loop

Grist Mill, Sawmill Branch, Santee Branch, Cascade Falls, Ilchester Trail Loop is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ellicott City, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,040 feet Route Type: Loop

As of June 2019, the New section of the Grist Mill Trail is OPEN and so is ALL the rest down to the Lost Lake Pond. - All the trees in the new section are just babies so you are in total SUN LIGHT. - During the summer be sure to carry plenty of water to drink. - The entire trail is paved in blacktop. - If you are hiking between Ilchester Rd. and the Swinging Bridge be careful crossing the section where the bridge is washing out. - Rocks have been piled up to walk across but this spot can flood during a storm. - Flood signs are posted.

this is one small section of the trail trail that will open gradually over 2020. fantastic flat surface, hike, bike, stroller, wheelchair friendly

If you follow the map, you can’t go wrong! Beautiful and varied scenery on both sides of the river valley. If you follow the topo, be sure to watch the new trail that goes around the wash out in the last half mile. Stay alert for mountain bikers too, they come out of nowhere fast!

pretty fall day for a hike. I have a chest cold so listened to my body and did alternate routes to make it shorter. because of this, I had trouble distinguishing one trail from another as the trails are sporadically marked. thank goodness for this app which kept me on route.

This trail was rewarding for me to complete, but oh so FRUSTRATING! There are very few trail head signs and if they do have them, they’re for people coming the opposite direction from me. There were two short trails that had decent blazes and the rest of the trails were practically non existent/faded. There are many places where you have to guess where the trail is. I would not have been able to complete this trail without the app. Also for the majority of the trail you won’t have cell service.... went this morning and finished around 2:15. Due to poor signage/trail markers I walked an additional 1.3 miles. Normally I wouldn’t mind but I was so fed up with this trail I just wanted it to be over with. There are pretty streams and waterfalls throughout the hike and the majority of it is in the shade. Those two things were the only benefits. Also, WATER! My camelbak has. 1.5L bladder and I brought two additional water bottles (33.8 oz each). I only have a little water left and I was trying to be conservative with it. I probably won’t do this trail again, but may come back to swim in the river.

Good hike on a clear day at 89F temperature. So, I found another decent Patapsco trail and I think I’m starting to learn key connecting points of the vastly intersecting trail system here. If you’re not careful you can get lost because the markings are spotty at best. The AllTrails app definitely helps. Over a year ago, I got lost once on a hike that should’ve only been 16-17 miles but I think I actually hiked about 22 miles. This is why I refuse to hike anything over 10 miles in Patapsco unless its a short loop hiked or ran repetitively to a distance over 10 miles. Once I figure out and know the the trails here then perhaps I’ll venture out long distance again. Let’s say that today’s hike was encouraging. Four stars. Completed: July 27, 2019

Sun Apr 08 2018