Governor Bridge Natural Area & Canoe Launch

Governor Bridge Natural Area & Canoe Launch is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bowie, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Governor Bridge Natural Area and Canoe Launch is located near the Bowie Baysox Stadium and Governor's Bridge. At one time, the property was an active sand and gravel mining operation. Abandoned in the 1960's and the land was neglected for years. In the 1980's the property was selected as a "mitigation" site and a restoration plan was developed to return the land to its natural environment. Today, large mouth bass flourish in the 8-acre lake. A network of trails encircles the lake and provides excellent opportunities for hiking, nature study and fishing. The park is managed as "catch and release" for bass.

Really easy Hike! I was looking for a quick hike to take my dogs on today to let them blow some energy and this was perfect for it! Trails are easy to follow. Loved that there was water so my Aussie could swim!

Checked this place out while out of town for Christmas. Nice spot to get a quick walk in. I found the trails to be well marked. They had the map posted in many places. It's a small trail system so I imagine it's difficult to get lost there. I'm assuming it's a popular area during the summer. There were signs of heavy use. On a day like today it was the perfect get away. I didn't run into one soul.

Most trails are either not marked well, not maintained, or both. Overall a very low-effort, low reward outing.

It is a nice place to go. There are a lot of ponds and a river too. I only hiked some of it so far. One of the smaller trails has a tree that needs to be cleared out. I will come back again.

Friday, April 14, 2017

This is a very nice, secluded natural park. I take my well-behaved border collie here and let her go off leash when no one is around, which is quite often. Most of the time I only see one or two other people in the entire park.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Saw turtles again today! Still very enjoyable this time of year.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Looking at the map looked like a easy waypoint . But the trail is not marked well .

Thursday, November 10, 2016

This was a great, relaxing hike! I even saw turtles basking in the sun today.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Date 8/20/2016 Nice hike.

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Please anyone using this guide after you have hiked the trail please submitt a review.
Thank You.