Gillis Falls Trail

Gillis Falls Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Airy, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Parts of this trail are beautiful but we kept saying how it would be a lot better on a horse. We had to cross streams without any rocks to step on numerous times to stay on the 3.5 mile loop we were following. It was tricky to find all the trails and we never would have gotten out without GPS. I may go again but would wait until the ground dries because the trails were also super muddy!

This is a great network of trails. Saw where reviewers had trouble with app. I did a web search, downloaded and printed a trail map. The trails are wide and well defined but poorly marked. We had no trouble finding our way. Trails on the app are only what someone has hiked and supplied to the app. Basic woodcraft beats GPS everytime.

Huge muddy puddles left by ATVs. Tho no ATVs seen on trails that day. The name of the stream is Gillis Falls. However, as other reviewer’s note there are no waterfalls on these trails. I recommend accessing the trails about 1/4 mile south of the equestrian ctr and just going out and back on the main gravel road that parallels the stream. Park at the 90° turn before the road goes up the steep hill.

Good amount of hills. Hard to find on GPS. Was at the back of an equestrian park. Park at gate and walk to the trail head behind the horse area. We had to keep checking our phone maps because the trail isn’t marked and we did find ourselves lost a bit. Muddy in areas because lots of the trails is down by the stream. We even had to get our feet wet crossing streams here and there. But a fun trail. Saw many deer.

Thankful I was an experienced hiker and had live GPS because I certainly wasn’t able to follow the marked trail on the map. I did pick up a full 13 gallon bag of trash, seems like a good trail for horses and definitely noticed the motorized vehicle tracks. And no waterfall on Gillis Falls trail.

Very nice trail for equestrian use as well as hiking and mountain bikes. Per the Carroll County Parks Ordinance, no ATV's or motorized vehicles are allowed in this area. If you see or hear motorized vehicles using this trail, please contact Carroll County Sherriff's Office. For more info, contact Carroll County Department of Recreation and Parks at 410-386-2103 or ccrec@ccg.carr.org

Do not do this trail unless you have live GPS, you will get lost. The gpx points are spot on so watch them very carefully. This a just a combination of various paths that all unmarked. There are 4 stream crossings. 2 have logs that are crossable a short distance away ( some sticker bushes). 2 required wading through shin level water. Fun for the adventurous, not for the beginner.

Horrible Trail! got lost, app didn't help either. alltrails needs to update their information. there were many trails not marked and we couldn't find our way back. it was supposed to be a simple Loop.

Beautiful quiet hike. However it was Tough with no markers. Thankful for the hike map on the app. Plus couldn’t cross the water in some places and had to re route a few times.

Love this trail with all the stream crossings

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Trails not marked well. Several very wet feet creek crossings. Quite muddy!

Monday, February 27, 2017

Ok. No waterfall, just riffles. Moderately trafficked. 2 ATVs made a lot of noise most of the time we were there. Stepped on a nail outside the abandoned buildings. Now I need to update my tetanus.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

We found nothing redeemable about this trail. It is incredibly muddy throughout, in addition to the multiple times you cross the creek. It is not well marked. Several times, we thought we were going to find a beautiful view or the waterfall. Instead, we found openings to corn fields. We also found a clearing with lots of beer bottles. We heard ATVs throughout our hike.
We passed two people on horses. It seems like a good trail for horses.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

The local rednecks ride the their ATV's illegally on the trails (and on the public roads) and account for much of the beer can deposits. It's clearly marked at the trail entrance that no motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail. They will typically stage their ATV's at the empty lot next to 2509 Flag Marsh Rd and ride down to the trails using the public road. DNR has made some progress in cleaning up. The equestrian's have reported negative encounters with the ATV's. If you encounter an ATV on the trail, record it and send it the Carroll Country Sheriff.

ATV's on the trail:

Thursday, July 23, 2015

I took my 6 and 7 year old. It was nice and short for them. super muddy and rocky. didn't see a waterfall, but did see an area that people use for a dump, full of burnt beer cans. the trail had no markings thank goodness for the map. I don't think that we will be going back there again.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Can someone please direct me to where I could find a trail map of this park? It doesn't seem like it's clearly marked anywhere.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Real muddy after rain, but fun ride in Mt. Airy.

Monday, September 03, 2012

After August 31st trail is not open on Monday-Wednesday - Fridays.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I didnn't have a map or any real idea about this trail. So I parked where there was another car and started on A trail. The stream ran along the west side of the trail...and then I came to a point where I needed different shoes or bare feet (not in January) soI turned back. Now I've seen some maps and will try again another day.
In the winter this trail is only open to hikers on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This is actually a horse trail through the woods and across a stream. Beautifully scenic and tucked away, it is a very rustic trail, more suited for hiking and riding than running, but for the sure-footed adventurous trail runner, it's short and sweet. It's pretty much got it all, from good short hill work, to stream crossing (make sure you wear your old shoes, cause you're gonna go through a stream that's about 6" deep at its center and it's impossible not to immerse your whole shoe) but the water is just right to cool you off! You traverse the stream twice during the run, and follow it throughout, so if you're listening to the sounds of nature, you can hear it babble which adds to the pleasure of the run. In the middle it's nicely flat so you can enjoy the views of the forest. At the end, there's a kicker hill about a quarter mile long and very steep on blacktop.
Most of the trail, except the very end, is uneven dirt with stones, rocks, and some natural obstacles (fallen trees, puddles, poo piles). I did the loop twice and found it VERY enjoyable and will definately be on it again!

Thursday, April 06, 2017