Gillis Falls Trail

Gillis Falls Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Airy, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Trails not marked well. Several very wet feet creek crossings. Quite muddy!

Ok. No waterfall, just riffles. Moderately trafficked. 2 ATVs made a lot of noise most of the time we were there. Stepped on a nail outside the abandoned buildings. Now I need to update my tetanus.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

We found nothing redeemable about this trail. It is incredibly muddy throughout, in addition to the multiple times you cross the creek. It is not well marked. Several times, we thought we were going to find a beautiful view or the waterfall. Instead, we found openings to corn fields. We also found a clearing with lots of beer bottles. We heard ATVs throughout our hike.
We passed two people on horses. It seems like a good trail for horses.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

The local rednecks ride the their ATV's illegally on the trails (and on the public roads) and account for much of the beer can deposits. It's clearly marked at the trail entrance that no motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail. They will typically stage their ATV's at the empty lot next to 2509 Flag Marsh Rd and ride down to the trails using the public road. DNR has made some progress in cleaning up. The equestrian's have reported negative encounters with the ATV's. If you encounter an ATV on the trail, record it and send it the Carroll Country Sheriff.

ATV's on the trail:

Thursday, July 23, 2015

I took my 6 and 7 year old. It was nice and short for them. super muddy and rocky. didn't see a waterfall, but did see an area that people use for a dump, full of burnt beer cans. the trail had no markings thank goodness for the map. I don't think that we will be going back there again.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Can someone please direct me to where I could find a trail map of this park? It doesn't seem like it's clearly marked anywhere.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Real muddy after rain, but fun ride in Mt. Airy.

Monday, September 03, 2012

After August 31st trail is not open on Monday-Wednesday - Fridays.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I didnn't have a map or any real idea about this trail. So I parked where there was another car and started on A trail. The stream ran along the west side of the trail...and then I came to a point where I needed different shoes or bare feet (not in January) soI turned back. Now I've seen some maps and will try again another day.
In the winter this trail is only open to hikers on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thursday, June 02, 2011

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This is actually a horse trail through the woods and across a stream. Beautifully scenic and tucked away, it is a very rustic trail, more suited for hiking and riding than running, but for the sure-footed adventurous trail runner, it's short and sweet. It's pretty much got it all, from good short hill work, to stream crossing (make sure you wear your old shoes, cause you're gonna go through a stream that's about 6" deep at its center and it's impossible not to immerse your whole shoe) but the water is just right to cool you off! You traverse the stream twice during the run, and follow it throughout, so if you're listening to the sounds of nature, you can hear it babble which adds to the pleasure of the run. In the middle it's nicely flat so you can enjoy the views of the forest. At the end, there's a kicker hill about a quarter mile long and very steep on blacktop.
Most of the trail, except the very end, is uneven dirt with stones, rocks, and some natural obstacles (fallen trees, puddles, poo piles). I did the loop twice and found it VERY enjoyable and will definately be on it again!