Green Ash Trail

Green Ash Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Frederick, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail not too many people!! I was able to let my dog off leash to run around. I’m somebody who gets scared of animals but I did not see any on the trail though. Before walking into the trail there was a sign of snakes and black bears so I got nervous but I felt very safe hiking alone with my dog!

This is a local trail for me and I hike it all the time. I found a ten dollar bill on this trail last fall! It's a great trail. I hike it counterclockwise. It does up and down quite a bit but not too steep. Very easy to hike - good for kids. There was a small fire here a few years back and there is evidence of it on the right when you are going up after the split. After that there is a spring with fresh mountain water to fill up your bottle or water your dog. At the top there is a look-out overlooking the north side of Frederick city and Fort Detrick. This portion of the trail runs beside the road - that is why I docked one star. Other than that this is a great trail - especially if you take the Black Trail from the top for the wide loop.

Nice - I like the overlap with the black trail as well. Forgot to record my hike lol.

Being a beginner this trail kicked my butt when doing the steep inclines! I've done other trails marked moderate and this trail was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was having a good time until those hills! I think I definitely need to lower myself to easy for a bit until I build my stamina!

Nice Hike

nice, good balance between ups and downs. wish there was a river but natural spring was refreshing

Is this trail 2.9 miles or 2.0 miles? The trail guide in the parking lot said it was 2 miles. But that would explain why it took me 1 hour and 15 min to hike through. I did the whole loop, moderately challenging, good ups and downs. I just don't like that you have to walk along a road for a portion of the trail. Otherwise I am definitely doing it again!

ok..

I had my fur baby with me. We both did well. The trail is pretty rocky and especially at the beginning where it's also mostly uphill and intense. We split off on the black trail a bit to see the statue and the stone over look which Diesel appreciated since he enjoyed cooling his belly on the cold rock in the areas where the stone was shaded. The last part was mostly down hill. The only real complaint I have is, because of the trail being so rocky I spent the majority of the hike looking down at my feet and the trail to make sure I had good footing so I wouldn't trip. When I hike, I enjoy looking around at the view as I walk and take in being in my element. But maybe someone who has more experience on rocky trails wouldn't have that issue as much. Overall an enjoyable hike. It would be a good hike for kids with a little experience. It would be intense for them tho but doable.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

How are the leaves looking now? Thanks!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Nice trail although the loose rocks definitely make it a bit of a challenge on the down slope.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Great tough up hill climbs with moderate walks in between so you get worked, but not too tough. Very scenic. Stops through the visitor center & look out.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

great trail, forward and back. do people actually ride bikes on this beast? there's a bit of loose rock that can be slippery for the less sure footed, but all in all this is a solid trail to burn some energy on.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Great moderate trail. Quite an incline and half rocky. It was a great workout.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

It wasnt terribly busy and offered a mix level of terrain. It had a variety of special view points from a beautiful cliff to some very interesting rock formations.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Moderate trail - well marked - nice family trail - you will enjoy this hike!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Very cute, rigorous if you're out of shape like I am but quite fine visually

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Gnats, gnat and more gnats, I guess the hotter it is the more gnats. Nice well marked trail. 1/2 of trail is moderate level, half is just plain cardio easy.....little stream near top coming out of the ground.....

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Beautiful trail! Good workout! We took our 5 month old baby in a carrier! She loved it :)

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Beautiful trail, I do need to build up my stamina for those steep inclines.