Green Ash Trail

Green Ash Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Frederick, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

This is a local trail for me and I hike it all the time. I found a ten dollar bill on this trail last fall! It's a great trail. I hike it counterclockwise. It does up and down quite a bit but not too steep. Very easy to hike - good for kids. There was a small fire here a few years back and there is evidence of it on the right when you are going up after the split. After that there is a spring with fresh mountain water to fill up your bottle or water your dog. At the top there is a look-out overlooking the north side of Frederick city and Fort Detrick. This portion of the trail runs beside the road - that is why I docked one star. Other than that this is a great trail - especially if you take the Black Trail from the top for the wide loop.

Nice - I like the overlap with the black trail as well. Forgot to record my hike lol.

Being a beginner this trail kicked my butt when doing the steep inclines! I've done other trails marked moderate and this trail was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was having a good time until those hills! I think I definitely need to lower myself to easy for a bit until I build my stamina!

Nice Hike

nice, good balance between ups and downs. wish there was a river but natural spring was refreshing

canoeing

Is this trail 2.9 miles or 2.0 miles? The trail guide in the parking lot said it was 2 miles. But that would explain why it took me 1 hour and 15 min to hike through. I did the whole loop, moderately challenging, good ups and downs. I just don't like that you have to walk along a road for a portion of the trail. Otherwise I am definitely doing it again!

ok..

I had my fur baby with me. We both did well. The trail is pretty rocky and especially at the beginning where it's also mostly uphill and intense. We split off on the black trail a bit to see the statue and the stone over look which Diesel appreciated since he enjoyed cooling his belly on the cold rock in the areas where the stone was shaded. The last part was mostly down hill. The only real complaint I have is, because of the trail being so rocky I spent the majority of the hike looking down at my feet and the trail to make sure I had good footing so I wouldn't trip. When I hike, I enjoy looking around at the view as I walk and take in being in my element. But maybe someone who has more experience on rocky trails wouldn't have that issue as much. Overall an enjoyable hike. It would be a good hike for kids with a little experience. It would be intense for them tho but doable.

How are the leaves looking now? Thanks!