New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Fort McHenry Trail is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Baltimore, Maryland that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 19 feet Route Type: Loop

paved

historic site

I walk here with my dog every week. Today, we were tangled when we got out of the car, so I let him off the leash. He started to go to the bathroom, so I let him go before I put his leash back on. Less than one minute with his leash off and I was being written a ticket by a park ranger (literally while picking up my dog’s droppings). I understand the “no dogs off leash” policy well. This seemed a bit extreme. *Great walk here, just giving dog owners a heads up! Very strict, borderline absurd, policy regulation.*

Beautiful views of the city and water, including a restored marshland where we spotted a pair if osprey hunting. A bit hot in the sun, but would make a gorgeous evening walk.

A good roundabout around a historical site, the highlight is a great Greek statue in honor of Francis Scott Key.

Tue Jun 26 2018

Nice easy trail. Get to see history and have an enjoyable hike by the water.

Tue May 22 2018

A well-maintained trail that encircles the Fort McHenry National Monument. We took a water taxi to the monument, and it was a lot of fun!

Sat May 12 2018

Nice pleasant walk along the waterfront. You really do need to go inside the fort though...

Mon Feb 19 2018

enjoyed the historical part

Sun Feb 11 2018

Love this trail as it is one of many historic trails and buildings in Baltimore, it’s a very nice trail to go on if you don’t want to pay to enter the fort.

Sun Jan 14 2018

Nice scenic place to take an easy flat walk

Mon Jan 16 2017

family friendly, easy walking, paved trail with lots of people jogging and walking around, lots of photography opportunity, if you want to go into the fort-DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG- it is a no no. however if you only want to walk on the trail your dog is welcome.

Fri Oct 07 2016

breath taking, I'll be back!!

Mon Aug 22 2016

Easy trail. Good for beginners. Scenic ride along the water.

Sun Feb 28 2016

It's an easy walk with great views.