Falling Branch Trail to Kilgore Falls

Falling Branch Trail to Kilgore Falls is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pylesville, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Kilgore falls is a great family-friendly short hike to Maryland's second-highest vertical waterfall located in Rocks State Park in the Falling Branch area. Rocks State Park remains environmentally sensitive and this area in particular, the Falling Brach area, is very well maintained. This area was once a meeting place for Susquehannock Indians. The trailhead can be accessed off of Falling Branch Road of northern Harford County. You will take the singletrack trail all the way to falls. The drop waterfall is created by large rock formations and is breathtaking. This is an easy hike for almost all ages and is great for kids, however there are tree roots on the trail and a stepping stone bridge to get the best view of the falls so use caution in this area or bring water shoes. If you are visiting on a hot summer day, make sure to to bring a bathing suit to take a dip in or wade in the swimming holes at the base of the waterfall, however use caution as there are no lifeguards on site. Because this is a popular trail and there is a small parking area, arrive early to secure a spot. The park rangers will turn you away unless a car has already left the lot. They do not allow you to wait for a spot or wait on the road for a car to leave. You can park at the Eden Mill Nature Center, which is about 1 mile from the trailhead.

We took our 5 and 7 year old daughters to hike this trail and it was great. We went on a mild December day so we weren't able to get in the water but the view of the falls was still worth it. It's a short hike with plenty of interesting features for kids. We made the short drive to Eden Mill Nature Center afterwards to round out the day. We will definitely be going back!

LOVED the waterfall. Easy hike, bring shoes that you don't mind soaking because you will have to go through about mid calf deep water to get to the falls. Parking is limited and a Ranger stands guard. after about 10am in the spring/summer and you'll be waiting to park. Once I got to the falls I was glad parking was limited because it kept the amount of people limited. Kid friendly, I saw 2 and 3 year olds there but even mid August with 100°+ the water was FREEZING. I put my head under the falls and instantly lost my breath because it was so cold.

Short trek but cool falls. Lots of people. Would rate higher if longer and less people

visited this trail this morning. it was lightly trafficked until about 11am, but not overly busy.
great waterfall view. trail is fairly well marked.
Short hike that could be done in as little as an hour if you aren't exploring the other side or breaking for sweet pictures.

We went here just for a few hours and it was great! Just beware it’s really slippery and the water feels like ice.

Plan to arrive early if you want less people around and prepare to get your feet wet crossing the stream to get better views of the waterfall. Cool place!

Busy trail although we did visit the day after a holiday. Parking lot was full at noon but the ranger let us wait in line until a spot opened which only took 10 minutes. Bring your water shoes to cross the river and get a better view of the waterfall! Trail is nicely shaded.

A beautiful, fairly easy hike, with awesome falls at the end. For the return trip, you can go up the hill through a less travelled trail. Not blazed, but stay on the trail, you can view the main trail below and not get lost.

We arrived at 10am on a Monday and it was already filling up. Get here early!

I recommend arriving early to the parking lot at the trail head! I arrived around noon on a Sunday and was turned away by three park rangers. They did not allow us to park alongside the road, only the parking lot, which was full. Another group of people we encountered had parked about a mile away on a different road and walked to the entrance only to me "chased down" by a park ranger not allowing them to enter the trail.

gorgeous. plain and simple

nice easy and fun

Its an amazing place to take a dip in summer . I would love to go there anytime

Lovely trail for starting out. Beautiful waterfall but bring waterproof boots. The best view of the falls is after you cross.

Very nice park but crowded.

Easy hike. Beautiful falls

The waterfall was beautiful! A short hike, you will see some interesting ruins of an old house. We did end up climbing to the top of the waterfall and coming down the other side, which was more moderate than easy and pretty slippy in spots.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The hike is really easy and the falls are beautiful. I recommend going in the summer because you can swim under the falls and jump off some of the rocks. It is a really neat place and I recommend bringing water because you could be at the falls for a while. This hike is for all ages and I would definitely go back to the falls.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Short hike. There were lots of thorns to watch out for.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

This is a wonderful yet short hike. Very easy to take young children too. The water crossing is the most difficult part. Great views from the overlook and of the waterfall. It does tend to be a very busy trail anymore and parking is limited so try to get there early.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Easy trail and the falls are gorgeous right now!

Friday, December 01, 2017

I’ve done this hike with the kids three times. We always have a great time. Great photos.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Beautiful falls! I would think it was more moderate if you climbed the rocks, cross the falls, and scramble down the rocks on the other side - definitely not my definition of easy, but the rest of the hike is easy. Definitely enjoyed!

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Very short and easy trail, but the terrain does become increasingly rocky and uneven the closer you want to get to the falls.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

love to this Trail but it's a lot more challenging I would rate it more moderate and it's good for kids up to the Waterhole in the waterfall but past that it's an awful lot of vertical climbs.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Nice, easy, family-friendly trail. 5 year old grandson had no issue with trail.

Takes you back to a nice waterfall with a swimming hole at the base of the waterfall.

Wear your bathing suit. Wore my Eddie Bauer Amphib shoes. Packed towel and the picnic lunch.

Parking lot is small and they will turn you away. But alternative would be an overcrowded trail and swimming hole. Like it the way it is.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Gorgeous setting but very crowded. Easy trail for almost all ages, seniors can do it but use caution and know that you have to cross a stepping stone bridge to get the best view of the falls. Water shoes would make things much easier. Beware of parking situation. We went on a Sunday afternoon and did not know about the very small parking lot and Park Rangers that turn you away unless a car has already left the lot. They do not allow you to wait for a spot or wait on the road for a car to leave. We drove an hour to see the falls so we kept driving back and forth down this gravel road until we timed it just right when a car was leaving and no other cars were in front of us. Rangers were not rude but not warm and fuzzing either. Just following orders but the MD Parks should recognize the popularity of the location and look for better alternatives. I read another review about an alternate parking location at a Nature Center 1 mile away. We asked the Rangers and they simply said no other options but for you to vacate the roadway.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Waterfall was beautiful. The hike was super easy and not very long. The parking situation was abysmal though and while one park ranger was sympathetic while he enforced the rules, the other one was a jerk on a power trip.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Used to be a great place to getaway on a hot summer day but now it is just way too crowded. They had park rangers turning people away because the lot was full. Total disappointment.

Friday, July 28, 2017

So much to explore here! Water is cold most of the time, but it isn't something you can't adjust to! Aside from being able to move freely in and out of the water there is a great trail that wraps all the way up to the top of the rocks so you can get an aerial view of everyone playing in the falls. Beautiful!