New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Elk Neck State Forest Trails

Elk Neck State Forest Trails is a 6.6 mile loop trail located near North East, Maryland and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 479 feet Route Type: Loop

I really liked this hike! It isn’t very worn through and not at all paved, which I actually enjoyed. It is late December, so the trees are bare, and I’d be interested to see the trail in the spring/summer. I followed the blue blazes for a full loop, but cut off about a mile by cutting through and using the paved road for a short bit in the middle. Will definitely be hitting this one again!

Tried the cemetery trail on the Mason Dixon Hiking Trail. There were lots of mosiquitos, short plants, and a tick on my husband's shorts. We gave up at that point and walked back. Beautiful green trees, though.

It started to get dark and got off the trail somehow and got lost, I tried to use my map to get out of there but the signal was weak and ended up up dropping it so.ewhere out there now on a mission to get it back wish me luck.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Hiked the lighthouse trail(not to the actual lighthouse, that is at the end of the peninsula) which is roughly 2.5 miles. Easy hike, but nothing to write home about. Stay in trail, as hunters abound.

Sun Sep 24 2017

The more woodsy paths were barely kept up a lot of fallen trees. Sometimes you couldn't even tell if you were on the paths in the woods. I don't mind the out doors and bugs etc, but I've never been hiking on a path with so many damn spider webs haha.

Mon Feb 20 2017

We enjoyed our hike in the woods but we weren't sure we were on the correct trail to do a loop. We went out and back- overall 3 miles but it led us back to Irishtown road. The trails could have been marked better, but the overlook was beautiful. We definitely will be back to continue the trails here!

Sat Jan 07 2017

Was a great trail to take. Worth the 40 minutes it took (most of us) to get there. Went with a group of 7. there was parking at the building with white roof that you can see on google maps. We did this trail in the winter (january) so the thick foliage was gone, revealing a great trail. Half of the trail was gravel/dirt road, but still nice to see. Only other concern is that we saw at least 5 hunters on/around the trail this morning, so just plan for that a well. Some of the trailed seemed like it would be hard to find once all the foliage returns. Lastly, the park map doesn't show the last portion of the trail to return the parking lot, but there is an improved trail; so it was easy get back to our vehicles. Again, a great trail, glad we found it here.

Tue Oct 18 2016

Great hike didnt see anyone the entire time. About half of it was gravel road and the rest trails. The last part of the trail headed back to my car seemed much less traversed and had more downed trees with brush over the path. This loop is close to home will definitely be doing it again.

Sat May 07 2016

Nice and quiet, not many people were on the actual trails. The lighthouse and overlook of the bay is great too but definitely more crowded.

Sat Jan 30 2016

Was great

Sun Jun 29 2014

I hiked at Pete bond overlook and took the lighthouse trail down trough a nice wooded area. This area was nice and open with just some tall grass, which meant ticks, but and easy walk. I came down to a point where the mason Dixon trail crosses so I took that and that's an uncleared trail, but is well marked. That came out to the elk forest trail which took me back past a gun range and a steep hill back up to my truck. Awesome walk. Will do again. BC

Sun May 04 2014

We parked at the Ranger Station just off of Irishtown Rd and hiked a short leg of the Lighthouse Trail (which does not lead to the lighthouse in this area; the lighthouse is down at Elk Neck State Park at the south end of the peninsula) up to the scenic overlook at the end of the Pete Bond Trail. It was a great view of the North East RIver and Charlestown, and the trail was well marked and not difficult, even with three kids in tow. The entire trail here is all forest cover. North of the scenic overlook, the trail markers disappeared, so we turned around and hiked back. I will definitely be back to hike the longer trails, sans kids.

Mon Nov 04 2013

I've hiked these trails and hunted these woods for years. This area isn't used that much. It can be busy during hunting season. Trails aren't always taken care of. There is a gun range near the entrance to the forest. I think the other reviews are confused. This is not the area where the light house is. This trail is located in between Irishtown Road and Old Elk Neck Road.

Sun Jun 10 2012

Loved walking the trail along the river. Trails are pretty fun. It was really easy to follow the trails because they were clearly signaled. It was also really easy to switch to other trails. Beautiful park!

Thu Sep 01 2011

Pretty cool trail(Clint Eastwood shot a movie on the banks of the Lighthouse trail). This is a great trail to see Deer, Hawk, and the joining of five rivers to the Chesapeake Bay. On weekends, you may climb the top of the lighthouse called Turkey Point Lighthouse as well.

Sun Dec 16 2018