Elk Neck State Forest Trails

Elk Neck State Forest Trails is a 6.6 mile loop trail located near North East, Maryland and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

sea kayaking

We enjoyed our hike in the woods but we weren't sure we were on the correct trail to do a loop. We went out and back- overall 3 miles but it led us back to Irishtown road. The trails could have been marked better, but the overlook was beautiful. We definitely will be back to continue the trails here!

Was a great trail to take. Worth the 40 minutes it took (most of us) to get there. Went with a group of 7. there was parking at the building with white roof that you can see on google maps. We did this trail in the winter (january) so the thick foliage was gone, revealing a great trail. Half of the trail was gravel/dirt road, but still nice to see. Only other concern is that we saw at least 5 hunters on/around the trail this morning, so just plan for that a well. Some of the trailed seemed like it would be hard to find once all the foliage returns. Lastly, the park map doesn't show the last portion of the trail to return the parking lot, but there is an improved trail; so it was easy get back to our vehicles. Again, a great trail, glad we found it here.

Great hike didnt see anyone the entire time. About half of it was gravel road and the rest trails. The last part of the trail headed back to my car seemed much less traversed and had more downed trees with brush over the path. This loop is close to home will definitely be doing it again.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Nice and quiet, not many people were on the actual trails. The lighthouse and overlook of the bay is great too but definitely more crowded.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Friday, February 05, 2016

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Was great

Sunday, June 29, 2014

I hiked at Pete bond overlook and took the lighthouse trail down trough a nice wooded area. This area was nice and open with just some tall grass, which meant ticks, but and easy walk. I came down to a point where the mason Dixon trail crosses so I took that and that's an uncleared trail, but is well marked. That came out to the elk forest trail which took me back past a gun range and a steep hill back up to my truck. Awesome walk. Will do again. BC