Duck Inn Trail

Duck Inn Trail is a 1 mile out and back trail located near Rock Hall, Maryland that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Chestertown, MD: Take State Route 20 South to Rock Hall (12 miles). At Rock Hall turn left onto State Route 445 South. Travel 8 miles to reach the refuge. Visitors must drive across a wooden bridge to gain access. Once you cross Eastern Neck Narrows, travel to the first road on the left, Bogle's Wharf Road. The first parking lot provides trailhead parking.

I've been here many times. It's great in the fall, winter and early spring. But avoid in summer and spring due to the amount of bugs and ticks. It's a great place to take pups swimming though!

First I just want to say this natural wildlife refuge is gorgeous (inside the car). The guy working the store was very knowledgeable and friendly. Nice little trail behind the visitor center. This is where it went downhill. We took this trail and within 5 minutes we had to lightly jog back to the car. Constantly being bit by some type of flys, pulling off ticks, and having mosquitos all over us. I am from Georgia and am used to the bugs but this was unbearable. In all we had 7 ticks that we pulled off of us when we got in the car. I HIGHLY recommend you wear top of the line insect repellent, with jeans and long sleeves. To be honest I don’t know if that will help but it’s worth a try. P.S. stay away from this place during spring time, must be the reason they were so bad. You’ve been warned.

This unimproved trail begins in a piney woods and then moves into meadow and marsh. It ends on the bank of the Chester River. It was buggy today. I should have worn pants and long sleeves.

Nice little hike.