Dolfield Trail, Serpentine Trail Loop

Dolfield Trail, Serpentine Trail Loop is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Owings Mills, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Baltimore, MC: Travel Interstate 695 to Interstate 795 exit 7 / Franklin Boulevard. Travel west approximately 2 miles. Turn left onto Berrymans Lane. Travel half-mile turning left onto Deer Park Road. Travel another 2 miles to trailhead parking located on the right side of the road.

My first time here and I was very thankful that it wasn't very hot out. Thank God for a breeze. When you see my recording you will see two problem areas. One split on the Choate Mine Trail was so overgrown I missed it. I also took the wrong turn were the Serpentine Trail connects with the Almart Trail. If I didn't have All/Trails I would have been messed up even worse. This whole area is very, very rocky and mostly a wide open plain. Some sections is like being in the High Sierras or a desert full of rocks. If I return I will indeed wear hiking boots and not shoes. I recommend hiking in the morning hours or the evening. I am sure this place will get very hot in the mid-summer heat. Overall, I would come back when the season changes to see the beautiful landscape.

Trail could have been blazed better in some sections, otherwise it was a nice day hike. Even found some blueberries!

This is the closest trail to our home, but not a favorite. Many of the trails are through grasslands, and our preference is more wooded. However, the Nature Center is nice, and the history is interesting.

Beautiful and unique trail for Maryland. Prairie was gorgeous

First off, AllTrails says this whole thing is the Serpentine Trail but actually, the ST is just the beginning 2.5 miles. When you get back to the start, cross the road and go around the barrier to continue this loop. This part of the trail includes the Choate Mine, Red Run, and Dolfield Trails.

These trails are very runnable and pretty easy to navigate. Very very rocky, as the whole area is on serpentine bedrock. Nice mix of grasslands and forests, easy inclines, easy stream crossings, overall runnable and gentle trails that are good for getting miles in on varied terrain without exhausting yourself.

An easy, relatively short hike showcasing an environment that has largely disappeared from Maryland. The area's interesting geology has essentially turned it into an island for rare and threatened plant species. The Sepretine Trail is the more popular of the two loops there, passing through a grassy 'savana' that unfortunately is bisected by high-tension power lines. The Choate Mine Trail is more forested, but contains some lovely open patches of grassland. For this loop, I suggest sticking to the mine Trail and Red Run Trail instead of taking the Dolfield Trail, which runs too close to a nearby suburb for my liking. The trails are a nice change of pace from other Maryland trails, but are probably more rewarding for people interested in ecology and geology than scenics.

This is a four star trail normally but man! I came home with 3 ticks after really checking myself and my friend who went with me. Very muddy today too. Nice trail- I'd say moderate to easy difficultly level. But these ticks! I would take a lot of precautions if you're going here in the next few weeks. I haven't had that many ticks on me at once in 22 years!