Cunningham Falls Nature Trail

Cunningham Falls Nature Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

beach

Directions from Thurmont, MD: Travel MD State Route 77 west approximately 3.5 miles turning right onto Park Central Road. Park across from the visitor center; trail begins on the far side of the parking lot across from the visitor center.

nice easy trail. waterfall is completely frozen right now. still pretty but it doesn't really look like a waterfall.

This route on the app says it's easy. The upper part of the loop ends up being the extended HARD hike. It was shocking to say the least but so much fricking fun!!! The upper loop was not for the faint at heart. :)

Easy trail, good for novice hikers and the falls are a great break before heading back.

Take the high trail for a bit more of a challenge. This also connects to the Catoctin Trail and campground trail.

It was a good trail, but very crowded. Nice loop options. Was a good walk. The waterfall was beautiful!

Easy but the fact it was pouring rain made it more interesting :)

was nice..and the reward the falls..

It was beautiful. Will definitely go again.

Lovely views and unique rock formations. See if you can find some metallic blue slate like I did.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Very short and easy hike to the falls. Rocks by the falls are fun to climb.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I'm not sure why this trail is rated easy. Maybe it was because of the heat, but 1,175 ft elevation is about 2-3 times more steep than what I'm used to doing in my neck of the woods. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see our friend's car! I liked the seeing the falls; wish I could have enjoyed that more, but I was too wiped out!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

A fun hike. I suggest staying away from the Falls on the weekends because the crowds are like an amusement park. Much more interesting on the other side of the road.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

very busy and crowded. there is a fee to enter park.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Cooooool rad lol

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Nice Trail. Be careful if you hike after a rain, the rocks are very slippery.

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

great trail, have done this many times in the past

Friday, August 14, 2015

Too short and too crowded, but the rocks were fun!

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Short and easy but fun

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Is surprising to me that most of my friends living in MD do not know about this place. It's just a quick getaway from DC and has some really nice trails to hike or trail run. nice cozy spots to camp as well. would definitely recommend if you just want to getaway for the weekend.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Great trail, on the plus you can navigate a good three wheel all terrain stroller the whole way from park central to the bad road crossing right before the falls. No other stroller will make the trip! this is a over six or seven trail to me, you will be mule before the hike is over. I take my kids with me when ever I can and there are a few tough sections.