Cunningham Falls Lower Trail

Cunningham Falls Lower Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Directions from Thurmont, MD: Travel MD State Route 77 west approximately 4 miles turning left onto Catoctin Hollow Road. Travel about a mile turning right into the William Houck Area. Travel past the campground road to reach trailhead parking in about 0.5 mile.

Very easy for people who are new at hiking or can’t go very far distances. The hike led to a scenic waterfall. Good for families and small children. To get back to the parking lot you could take a different route called Cliffs Trail and my family and I took that route. Cliffs trail was a bit bumpy and it was quite and incline but it was still great for us!

The trail wasn't exactly the easiest to find from the lake parking lot, but I just followed the people. The restrooms were near the trail entrance. Once on the trail, it was well marked, and little steep at times. Not sure I would have listed it as easy. It certainly was not flat. It's a 1/2mile to the waterfall. There is a deck overlook, however trees were blocking the actual view of the falls from the designated lookout spot. I think maybe because of the time of year, the waterfall was more of a trickle. I made my way back, retracing my steps and then spent some time walking near the lake. The parking lot for the lake and trails is plentiful.

short an easy with 4 year old. nice water fall at the end with lots of rocks to climb around on

This trail was a perfect family hike. Our 2.5 year old was able to hike by himself and we pushed our 8 mo old in our BOB stroller. This is a stroller friendly hike for those looking for one.

The trail was a bit shorter than I'd expected. The view was beautiful however there wasn't too far to venture in this location.

Beautiful. So many fellow tourists at the falls. Wish the falls looked the way they did when I was a kid....very limited access now with all of the bridges/boardwalks to keep people out. But I guess they have to protect this place. We hiked the cliff trail to the falls and the lower trail on the way back...why isn't the cliff trail on the trail list? Just curious.

stopped on a roadtrip home from Florida - was fun / easy to do and had some cool things to see! waterfall was nice (beware of rattlesnakes!!)

Sunday, July 12, 2015

The trail was a good level for us and our 11 and 13 year old children. As a kid, I remember wading in the water and climbing all over the rocks when we got to the falls. Now, they have signs up everywhere that you are not permitted to leave the trail or touch the water in any way. They even have constructed wood trails and "viewing areas" with guard rails to discourage you from going anywhere near the falls themselves. Kind of disappointing for my children...

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Beautiful trail with the waterfall for a punch line. I was surprised at how many people were on the trail in spite of all the snow. But thanks to the snow there was a lot of water over the falls.

Saturday, December 10, 2016