Cromwell Valley Park and Loch Raven

Cromwell Valley Park and Loch Raven is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Parkville, Maryland that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trails. Easy to get a little turned around, but that was 1/2 the fun. Not very difficult. Well maintained trails!

Different terrains and really easy to get to from Baltimore City.

Love this trail. Do it almost everyday instead of working out at the gym. A few challenging climbs if you push yourself and you can get a good 5 miles without too much backtracking.

Very Nice well maintained area with many easy trails to follow. The only issue I had was dealing with the heat. Many of the trails are in open field and there is no except for being in the woods. I was able to cold myself down at a stream where I took a little break. After that I had an uphill climb. I will place this area on my Spring and Fall Only list. I drove here from Ellicott City. This was my second time and I still enjoy the area. I mainly wanted to view the water and dam but it was hard to see from the trails I took.

Up and down. Great exercise. Easy to get too. Visit Mallory the duck at the Ranger center.

Well marked trails. Beautiful fall day for hiking. Lots of goldenrod.

poorly marked trails and many side trails that can make the hike a bit confusing. with the use of this app there were no troubles however without the app it could be very difficult to navigate.

Nice stroll with a bit of climbing. Recommend going off the trail briefly to walk down to the Loch Raven Dam.

Some areas with no shade. They have many dog waste disposal areas on the trails which is nice. We also got to see a deer cross our path.

Lovely trails, although the markings are a bit confusing. Lots of scenic side trails to discover and get distracted with along the way. I went during what I thought would be peak activity, but only ran into one other person the whole time. There are lots of great places to kick back and watch the clouds or just enjoy the surrounding peacefulness. I hike regularly and would consider this more of an easy hike over a moderate one. I would visit again just for the quiet trails and maybe a picnic along the way.

This is one of my favorite trails. I love doing it on evenings during the week when it's less crowded. I usually park at Sherwood House and take the Minebank trail along the stream before hooking into this loop. It's a bit more scenic and adds some hills and distance. You can also add in the sycamore loop and read a poem about one of the trees, and from there take an old driveway down to the reservoir.

I suggest checking to see if there are any special events before you visit. They can make parking a nightmare and the trails get congested.

Love this place, for hiking! It's listed on this app that you can mountain bike here, but I was told that you can only cycle on the roads.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

First hike of the year. Surprised by how many steep climbs. Trail markings can be confusing. But a pleasant hike nonetheless.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Great trails but, not marked very clear.

Monday, January 30, 2017

First time - loved wandering around the grounds and trails. Agree that trails are not well marked, but all roads seem to lead back to the main one so it's fine to meander and get temporarily lost. Beautiful even in the winter, can't wait to see all the green in spring and colors in fall.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Not well marked, beautiful, great for baby, kids, and dogs. A lot of small loops and if you get lost you can easily find your way back as most loops are connected. Wide well maintained trail great anytime of year. Can meander and explore smaller secondary trails.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Not the best marked,but a nice walk.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Trails are poorly marked. Got lost for a while. But nice park, beautiful nature.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Nice stream to follow, but trails are not well marked.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Beautiful park, multiple trail. If you park near the portapottys (spelling?) go behind them about 350 feet a long the fence line that leads to a few really cool trails!

Friday, May 20, 2016

nice kept trails.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Lots of overgrowth. Easily sidetracked. Got off trail twice but worth it.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

i take the whole family, it is a great place. They offer beautiful scenery, easy trails and a nature center. In the spring and fall the county offers educational activities for the children.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

I liked that the trails lead into each other for more options. It was nice to head into loch raven from the red trail and follow the loop marked on here. There was some sort of mission trail that wasn't fully marked out. I want to come back and pick it up from the loch raven area next time if the signs are still out there! :-)

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Great trails. A bit confusing with them all running into each other. I'll def be back.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Well taken care of.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fun trail. Can stretch it into a long hike but often times tough to know what trail you are on!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

As a novice hiker this collection of trails seemed overwhelming at first. I loved the map that is available. This really helped me get started. The red trail had just enough challenge to it to get your heart rate up. I really enjoyed the lime green trail part of the Barron's trail which looped back to the red trail. This trail had a nice terrain. I will like to return to take the part of the Barron trail that loops to the Loch Raven part.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

What a fun fun trail! But keep a eye on which trail you are on

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

There are trails scattered throughout CVP, but the one that drew interest prior to actually visiting was Barrans Trail. It can be a little difficult to get to but once you're following the trail, you pass by the Loch Raven Reservoir, (see picture). There's a point in the trail where it splits off, one crosses a stream and the other leads to a rocky incline (see picture) that's not only tricky with regards to footwork, but a relatively sharp incline. Overall, a fun trail that's not really well known and if Barrans Trail doesn't sound appealing, there are at least 5-6 other trails that are shorter in distance. The only complaint I have about that particular trail is that the path isn't always clear or well marked. Definitely, worth checking out.