Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

C&O Canal Trail: Cumberland to North Branch

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(28)
Cumberland, Maryland

C&O Canal Trail: Cumberland to North Branch is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cumberland, Maryland that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 78 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

This the "last" section of the C&O Canal is a well maintained and smooth section passing back yards and open fields and it finally comes into Cumberland. Development has left little evidence of the canal's working past aside from a few "stop locks", spillways and the canal itself. Like much of the towpath, the trail is almost perfectly flat. Lift Lock 75, the last on the canal, is right next to the North Branch Recreation Area and is the last significant change in elevation untill you get to Cumberland where a wooden walkway and ramps take you over the canal and into town. The Evitts Creek Hiker-Biker campsite (N39 36.999 W78 43.954) is probably one of the worst to stay at if you want to get any sleep. It sits right beside a major railyard and the sounds of train cars squeeling and banging are not welcome neighbors. Stay here only if you can sleep through the cacophanous racket.

This is the last part of the canal trail. All flat with clear trail all the way. This is used my recreational walkers and bikers. This part of the 180+ miles is not a traditional hiking area. Nice place to walk and unwind. Bring the dog if you have one.

Thu May 16 2019

Leisure foot or bike trail. Easy to ride on a trail bike or comfort bike if you don’t have a mtb.

Always a nice hike along the river and crossing the tunnel trail bridge. This is a base route meaning one I do a lot because it’s close to the Marriott. Will always do again.

Thu Sep 28 2017

Nice and easy trail - at least the short portion I did. Cool things to see along the way.

Sat Feb 25 2017

Great Ride with Son and friend to Paw Paw back around '98-'99

Tue Aug 25 2015

I was only able to hike about 2 miles down from Cumberland. The path seems more suited to running and biking. It is pretty. I am far more interested in the kayaking possibilities, but was surprised to see no one on the river and little information available at the outfitter in Cumberland.

Fri Oct 31 2014

Some friends and I actually picked up the canal just over the Ohio line and hiked the towpath all the way to DC. we all had a great time there was times when we would. Along the trail and other times we really had the home to make up for lost time and bad weather. all in all it took us about two weeks plus or minus a few days to make the entire trip and we are planning on doing it again in the near future with our children.

Fri Mar 21 2014

I lived in Cumberland, MD for 2 years. I did several out and backs on the trail, as it this is the starting point. Enjoyed the museum. I biked a few times on it, and sometimes parked closer to some of the more interesting spots, as I got tired of seeing the same 4-5 miles before turning around. On a visit to Harper's Ferry, saw a very cool section. I am interested in running the Ultra Marathon one day.

Tue Apr 30 2019