Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail

Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This loop is a combination of all of the three major loops in the Catoctin Mountain Park, totaling 8 miles and including Cunningham Falls, Hog Rock, Blue Ridge Summit, Thurmont Vista, Wolf Rock, and Chimney Rock. Ranges from an easy walk to a challenging uphill hike, but the beautiful vistas make it well worth the effort. The park also has many interesting geological formations and wildlife. The trail is very rocky in many areas.

This hike was a lot of fun and had its challenges! The Catoctin Mountain Extension trail is actually a combination of trails that loop around a majority of park. If you want more of a challenge, definitely go counterclockwise (starting with Chimney Rock). If you have any questions, the park employees are very friendly! Only gave it 4 stars because of the views aren’t to die for, but still very beautiful overall.

Not a big fan of this one. This felt like a long walk in the woods. The woods are beautiful, but there is no “real” overlook. I did not get the sense of a “summit”. Lastly, Cunningham Falls was a little disappointing. I expected more. Plus, the fact that the falls is not technically part of the hike(it has its own parking lot) took away some of the experience to me.

Fantastic trail! Well marked and challenging but worth the views.

It was good not that great. but you will have couple of good views up there. for me its good experience because i climbed rock which is little bit challenging.

Great hike! Cooler than staying in DC! Lots of boulders to climb!

Probably one of the best hikes for the area!! Crossing the road to get to the falls was a little precarious and some of the trail has stretches that run alongside the road unfortunately. It did have some fun challenges though and wolf rock was pretty cool to see! Definitely recommend doing it counterclockwise. I did also catch a woodpecker in action!!

Very nice people helping us get to know trials

Tasty

Pretty easy hike. It only took me about 3.8 hours but it was worth the drive. views were cool and the waterfalls was a nice one.

Great Saturday morning hike. I wouldn’t call the loop a hard hike, maybe a medium hike.

Views weren’t great. the waterfall was nice, but wasn’t part of the extended loop

Lots of great lookouts along this trail. I would say hiking it normal and save Chimney Rock for last!

somehow it was about 9.5 miles, but great fall trail!

Great hike!!! I hike trail counter clockwise. Great are views from Chimney Rock, Wolf Rock, Thurmont Vista, Blue Ridge Summit, and Hog Rock. Also, great views of Cunningham Falls.

Family hike on a rainy, cold day. Really enjoyed the views although it was overcast. Only complaint is the slippery leaves and rocks that I should have expected. I think the hard rating must be due to the elevation changes. If we did it again, I would cut out the section to the ranger station. It follows the road and is not very scenic. It was well marked with opportunities to bail back to the parking lot.

Great hike, nice views, pretty quiet on a bad weather day.

Easily one of my favorite hikes in Maryland, Catoctin Mountain is home to several different short trails, with multiple crossover points between them. Wolf and Chimney Rock are highlights, featuring great views of the valley below and boulders that make for great picnics or pictures. Trails have a few moderate difficulty climbs, but for the most part the paths are fairly easy.

Lots of sights. Too many people; but it’s great early. Long walk.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Harder with a 35 lb pack.

Monday, September 04, 2017

It's a long, but easy hike. Chimney Rock is the only thing worth seeing, so I would actually recommend doing the trail in reverse, checking out Chimney Rock and Wolf Rock, then calling it a day.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

overlooks are worth the hike

Monday, August 07, 2017

Rocky path, but that just makes it more fun. Beautiful views at Chimney Rock. Wolf Rock has views of the crevices than an expanse, but still an interesting experience. The southeastern part has brief periods that are overgrown. Don't worry, you're still on the trail. Highly recommend.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

My first visit to this trail today and I plan to return, repetitively. It is a great course, with geological history and challenge. I only completed part of the course due to rainstorms -- I ran about 40% of the part completed. Experienced runners recommended. It is downright unadvisable to run this course in the rain or under wet conditions. If you plan to trail run this, bring your best game. And bring your best trail running shoes. It is quite technical, with hundreds upon hundreds of pointy and sharp rocks, dagger tree limbs, and fallen-tree obstacles, so be careful. I plan to return to do all 8.6 miles, and see the waterfall (I have not seen the waterfall yet). I went off course in the beginning mile -- this is easy to do if you don't focus on guide markings. Once back on course, I went straight to Wolf Rock first, then to Chimney Rock, and then doubled back passed Wolf Rock up to Thurmont Vista. Then, the downpour came so I stopped, and took the short cut back to the trailhead/visitor center (my start point). I tracked part of the course that I completed (see the route I took). Overall, 5 stars, and a must due for technical running challenges (again, experienced runners recommended).

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Views just ok, and trail was rocky, but not in a good way. Wolf rock was cool, saw two snakes down the rock crevices. Not sure I'd go again.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

It's a mountain so expect a nice uphill, but after the uphill comes the downhill :) Beautifully maintained trails. Stunning overlooks.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Very hard but nice..

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Beautiful scenery, but rocky and tree-rooted, so watching your footing is a full-time endeavor. Wolf Rock and Chimney Rock were worth the extra effort to get there! Elevation gains are strenuous but doable if you take your time.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Very challenging loop trail. Extremely rocky in some areas - good hiking shoes are definitely recommended. Went on a Saturday and it was very crowded.

Great views at Chimney Rock and the Blue Ridge Summit. Wolf Rock and Chimney Rock can be very dangerous with deep rock crevices that may not ideal for young children. Overall, a wonderful park with a lot of hiking options for all different levels.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Love the long hike and different stations to stop and look at the view

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Enjoyed listening to the trees sway as we got a nice breeze. The view at the end was amazing!!! I took my young children and they were always in the lead, keeping track of the color trail we were on. Definitely recommend it!