Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail

Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This loop is a combination of all of the three major loops in the Catoctin Mountain Park, totaling 8 miles and including Cunningham Falls, Hog Rock, Blue Ridge Summit, Thurmont Vista, Wolf Rock, and Chimney Rock. Ranges from an easy walk to a challenging uphill hike, but the beautiful vistas make it well worth the effort. The park also has many interesting geological formations and wildlife. The trail is very rocky in many areas.

Enjoyed listening to the trees sway as we got a nice breeze. The view at the end was amazing!!! I took my young children and they were always in the lead, keeping track of the color trail we were on. Definitely recommend it!

Although it is a bit rocky there is a bathroom at the parking for Hogs Rock and some great views

My oldest did this with me and we both had our dogs. I like this trail but on busy days parking can be an issue.

amazing! went 5 miles altogether (up the mountain and back down) and it was so worth it! the view is phenomenal!

Only one view was interesting but a nice day.

Was pretty easy but rewarding. Scrambling Wolf Rock was cool. If doing the extended loop make sure to do the Lewis Area trail. It's way less pathed, hardly any trail until you get to the gateway trail and lots of wildlife. Saw a wild turkey wobbling back and forth the trail in front of me for a while.

Nice loop that has multiple viewpoints and interesting rock features. Would definitely rate as moderate instead of hard. The trail is so well maintained that much of it felt like I was walking on a nature trail. Multiple connections with roads meant lots of traffic on the trail. A perfect day hike if you don't have time to spend the whole day on a trail. Also a good place to take friends/family who are not big hikers.