Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail

Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This loop is a combination of all of the three major loops in the Catoctin Mountain Park, totaling 8 miles and including Cunningham Falls, Hog Rock, Blue Ridge Summit, Thurmont Vista, Wolf Rock, and Chimney Rock. Ranges from an easy walk to a challenging uphill hike, but the beautiful vistas make it well worth the effort. The park also has many interesting geological formations and wildlife. The trail is very rocky in many areas.

Rocky path, but that just makes it more fun. Beautiful views at Chimney Rock. Wolf Rock has views of the crevices than an expanse, but still an interesting experience. The southeastern part has brief periods that are overgrown. Don't worry, you're still on the trail. Highly recommend.

My first visit to this trail today and I plan to return, repetitively. It is a great course, with geological history and challenge. I only completed part of the course due to rainstorms -- I ran about 40% of the part completed. Experienced runners recommended. It is downright unadvisable to run this course in the rain or under wet conditions. If you plan to trail run this, bring your best game. And bring your best trail running shoes. It is quite technical, with hundreds upon hundreds of pointy and sharp rocks, dagger tree limbs, and fallen-tree obstacles, so be careful. I plan to return to do all 8.6 miles, and see the waterfall (I have not seen the waterfall yet). I went off course in the beginning mile -- this is easy to do if you don't focus on guide markings. Once back on course, I went straight to Wolf Rock first, then to Chimney Rock, and then doubled back passed Wolf Rock up to Thurmont Vista. Then, the downpour came so I stopped, and took the short cut back to the trailhead/visitor center (my start point). I tracked part of the course that I completed (see the route I took). Overall, 5 stars, and a must due for technical running challenges (again, experienced runners recommended).

Views just ok, and trail was rocky, but not in a good way. Wolf rock was cool, saw two snakes down the rock crevices. Not sure I'd go again.