Cat Rock (Yellow) Trail to Catocin (Blue) Trail

Cat Rock (Yellow) Trail to Catocin (Blue) Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Thurmont, Maryland that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hike in Cunningham Falls State Park with Views of Frederick Valley This is a nice hike up fairly steep terrain to Cat Rock. After the view from the rocks, rejoin the yellow trail and continue on toward Bob's Hill. There is one tricky point where the only signs are for the blue Catoctin Trail going right, which is north on that trail. Instead you want to turn left, and will soon see both blue and yellow trail markings. This will take you south on the Catoctin Trail to Bob's Hill. At the hill there are two viewpoints at the end of short side trails. The hike from Cat Rock to Bob's Hill is very moderate.

The first 1.2 miles are uphill and moderate to hard steep. Only water source is .5 mile up the trail so bring 2 liters of water to be safe. When rock scrambling up to Cat Rock be very careful if there is any moisture. Rocks will be slick as ice.
Once heading leaving Cat Rock you'll climb another 200ft or so and then mostly flat. Once getting to Bob's Hill be VERY CAREFUL OF A RATTLE SNAKE ! Saw a 4ft rattler sun bathing on the overlook to the right. I've lived in there area my whole life and have never seen a rattle snake in the woods and I have spent a ton of time out here. Enjoy your hike !

so I've only been hiking since March 2018. I did Bob's hill only from the William houck parking lot.

It's about 1.8 miles straight up! being a beginner this was a tough trail. for 9 tenths of the mile you go up up up and when you get to almost a mile it levels out for a second then you climb for about 2 tenths of a mile more til your legs wanna fall off and it levels out for a bit. how ever your still on an incline. when you get to the last 2 tenths of a mile it's straight up again.

bring plenty if water and perhaps a protein bar.

When you reach Bob's hill you can go left or right to see the views which make this climb well worth the struggle.

two things...i did come across a snake on the south side. almost stepped on it! could of been a corn snake or copperhead. I didn't wanna find out.

secondly take care coming down if you don't continue to cat rock. with all the rain the trail is very slippery and I slid down the log timber "steps" at the beginning of the decent and got a nice bruise not only on my back but my ego as well.

someone advised me to take a walking stick. it helps if you come across a snake. I was the only one on this trail.

only did 8 miles to Bob's hill and back . nice hike with doggos

first time hiker. Bob's hill was tough but pretty proud that I did it. won't be my last trip

Great hike. Nice views from Bob's Hill

Was 100% worth my time. You’re going to be hiking up at a steep angle immediately, which I appreciate. It also gets moderately wet on the way up. Cat Rock is fun to climb and Bob’s Hill has two amazing views.

Hiked this 11 mile long out-and-back trek a week before Christmas, starting from the Manor Area Visitor Center, covering both the blue trail and the yellow trail. The yellow trail between the two Bob’s Hill Overlooks and Cat Rock was very quiet. I only saw a handful of other hikers on the two uphill sections of this hike. The sunken trail leading up to Bob’s Hill was covered with fallen leaves at this time of the year. Careful with this section, particularly if you hike down this section as lose rocks may be hidden beneath leave piles.

It took me 5 hours to complete the hike, taking many stops for overlook views and for snacks along the way.

If you agree that the nearby Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail (8.6 miles) should be rated as hard, then I think this Cat Rock/Bob’s Hill Out-and-back hike should also be rated as hard.

Be extremely careful of the Copperhead snakes that sunbath and hang out in the cracks of the giant rocks at Bob's Hill overlook. Our group were mere inches from a decent sized copperhead and it was well camouflaged.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

encountered a giant, fat rattlesnake as we were returning back down rocks. Posted a pic....I don't think I will climb on rocks again.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Awesome, been coming here since I was a kid. Beautiful views at the top. Awesome boulders and stoney path. Can be slippery if wet.

Friday, April 14, 2017

fun trail that offers great scenery and some good photo ops.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Very nice hike! It’s steep to Cat Rock, then not too steep the rest of the way to Bob’s Hill. Trail was very quiet; Cat Rock seemed kind of unimpressive (would have to climb a huge rock formation to see views) but Bob’s Hill has very nice views.

I've also made this into an 11-mile loop for a more challenging hike: Start by going to Cat’s Rock and Bob’s Hill (or skip Bob’s Hill to make it shorter). Then take the Catoctin trail to Cunningham Falls, cross the falls & road there, and head back past the visitor center to the start. (or can start at the visitor center instead.)

Note: maps show you can’t go through at Cunningham Falls – trails don’t connect. In reality it isn’t hard to go across – many people climb the barriers to go across.

Friday, November 25, 2016

awesome trail! great for people of all ages. moderately easy and the rocks to climb at the end were fun!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Fun Hike. Big rocks to climb on with awesome overlook. Watch for rattlesnakes, almost stepped on 2.

Monday, September 05, 2016

The initial incline from the parking lot to Cat Rock is no joke. Its pretty much uphill the entire way, but short enough to make it doable. Definitely add the the trip to Bob's Hill overlook for a total hike of 8 miles. Remember that you need to turn left when you reach the Blue trail. For some reason Bob's Hill isnt on that trailhead marker. The trails are quite rocky so have good hiking shoes. Overall, a great day hike as are all the trails at Catoctin.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Beautiful day. Moderately steep incline on the way to the look out with trail leveling out after. Rocky trail - used hiking sticks to help with footing. Lots of small wildlife. Great 3 hour in and out trip.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Very nice day hike. Enough elevation to get a decent work-out but won't wipe you out either. Hot day in late May, but the shade kept the trail comfortable. Definitely worth a look right now if you want an easy get-away from the city and not much of a crowd.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Saturday, October 31, 2015

The trail begins across from the Cocotin National Park Headquarters. The hike up to Cat Rock is about a mile, mostly uphill, but not too bad. The trail is marked with a yellow blaze. I suggest you continue on to Bob's Hill for a nice overlook of the valley. To do this continue down the yellow trail until you get to the Cocotin Trail (marked with blue blazes) and turn left. This will make for about an 8 mile out and back hike. If you want to get at least 10 miles in, continue on Cocotin Trail down to the Manor Visitor Center. Mostly downhill so you will get a good workout on the way back.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Super fun and great scenery minus the fog as soon as we got to the top! Couldn't see anything from the top of the mountain.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Hiked this trail today, decent workout on the way up. if you are in it just for exercise outdoors, its fine. If you are in it for the view, its nothing spectacular. Walked to the top of the rock pile at the end, view was ok but again, not breathtaking. Time for completion, 1 hr and 45 min. Would have finished sooner but legs were cramping on the way down.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Cat Rock is a short hike, and is easily accessible with parking right off of Maryland Rt. 77. The trail is fairly heavily wooded but easy to follow. However, I did not find it to be all that interesting. At the end of the trail is Cat Rock, which is a fairly good size rock pile with a decent view of the surrounding forest. If it's a nice day and you've never done it before, then it might be worth checking out. However I would recommend Chimney Rock & Wolf Rock before this one (both of which can be reached by the trail right across the road).

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Except for a rather frightening encounter with a rattlesnake (mostly just because it was there), my friend and I really enjoyed this trail. Took us a bit more than 4 hours because we started down one of the side trails instead of heading back down the steep one we had taken up as we descended from Cat Rock, but we appreciated the challenge! Also - there were wild blueberries on the ridge leading up to Bob's Rock! FYI - wasn't entirely clear where the best trailhead was, but we ended up going up Old Misery trail to pick up the yellow/blue markers for Bob's/Cat.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hiked to Bob's Hill South Overlook and back to the Manor Area.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

First time I did Bob's Hill was last year in 105 weather. Exhausting but worth it! Made the hike again yesterday in 85...much better. Very steep, going from 600' to 1700' in less than 1.5 miles. Met up with a Copperhead who was kind enough to leave me alone as I left him alone. The other views were lovely. Ready to do this in 65 next.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

I've done this trail in all kinds of weather and seasons. It's a nice trail with a great view at the top. Decent uphill hike and lots of berries in July!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Being a novice hiker I shouldn't have picked a 'difficult' trail as my first. I did have to stop and rest quite a few times. The view from the south side of Bobs Hill was spectacular and well worth the climb. After reaching the top of Bobs Hill (elev. 1762) you have an option to keep going higher via Cat Rock trail. My energy was expelled by then so I opted not to go higher.

recorded Cunningham falls trail