Cash Lake Loop Trail

Cash Lake Loop Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laurel, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 52 feet Route Type: Loop

The hike is short but the scenery and wildlife are terrific. It starts at the visitor center for the Patuxent National Wildlife refuge, near Beltsville, Md. Trails are very well marked and you can get a trail map inside the visitor center. This is a great family outing. 256 wild bird species have been spotted in the refuge.

Absolutely beautiful! Easy trail, just watch out for the roots. Very peaceful, a few people who treated it like a church : very respectful and quiet. I saw cool lizards, butterflies, some kind of cranes, geese, ducks, and deer. The lilypads were beautiful. The sound were lovely and the smells so calming. An absolutely beautiful hidden gem.

nice little walk, wildlife is amazing here. If you are here for a challenging or thrilling hike, this is not it. lol

Easy trail that’s well marked. Great views, various plant life. Lake appeared to be a bird sanctuary.

My dog and I had a great walk on the trail! Will definitely be returning.

Very easy, pleasant walk. Saw an osprey and lots of frogs/toads along the way. In and out of the woods so plenty of shade. Peaceful and quiet. Some dragonflies but wasn’t bothered by any other bugs.

Really great Nature walk not long and you cross bridges of water. We saw birds, deer, frogs, butterflies, fish, and dragon flies.

Nice easy hike - well graded and good for the dog as it wasn't overly crowded. Some reviewers complained of muddiness but I didn't have any issues beyond what you'd expect in any wooded area if there's been any recent rain. Many parks in the DC area are worse after a rain. I did ask about mud at the visitor center before setting out, where they told me to avoid one back section of trail that gets flooded by a creek - this could've been the section that others complained of so follow my lead on that. I didn't see much wildlife but was there from 2-4 pm which isn't the best time of day for it. Easy access off the highway, plenty of parking and visitor center with bathrooms, trail maps, etc.. Will definitely return.

recorded Recording - Apr 20, 06:37 PM

excellent place to spend a sunny afternoon with your dog. Trail is easy to follow, Good Under Foot, maintained, comes with a wonderful View, everyone that was here on this day but I cross paths with was very friendly, and you might enjoy it so much that you want to take on another time around the loop.

March 2019. The trail is so muddy in places that you either have to slosh through and risk losing a boot, or go way off trail to go around. Not just a few places either, and we went on a dry sunny day when there hadn’t been rain for several days. There are 3-4 trees down across the trail, and you have to choose your preferred scrabble-over spot. There are paths worn leading to the easiest crossing spots, which would indicate the trees have been down for a while. The trail is nice when it is maintained. There are plenty of opportunities to sit and view the lake, and the trail gets very close to a beaver lodge. At one point it passes through the area of trees that the beaver chewed down, which is pretty neat. I’ve been there in the past without it being so rough. Maybe this is just due to the seasonal maintenance has not been completed yet.

Amazing day...trail was very muddy in spots...birds were abundant

A couple laps this morning. Great way to start the day.

A nice walk in late fall after a couple soccer fixtures.

Have hiked this twice now and enjoyed it both times. It’s an easy, flat stroll in the woods but lovely scenery.

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Nice hike, great place to shoot some nature photos

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Great trail but a little too short for my liking. Overall great experience!

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Loved it, only a short walk before the rain but I will be back

Sunday, July 08, 2018

It’s been a year since my last trip here. I brought my puppy for a nice hike and wasn’t disappointed. There is plenty of shade and places to sit for water breaks; it is kept almost completely trash free; and it’s secluded enough that, if you don’t want to run into people, you don’t have to. I can see how the parking could run out, but there is another parking area near the pier that has plenty of space.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Nice day hike

Sunday, April 22, 2018

My dogs and I wanted to get out and the nice weather today and this park is pretty close to my house. It’s probably really beautiful in the summer time, so I suggest going then. Parking was great, but again, I can see it running out quickly on a really nice day. The only real negative thing I can say about this outing is that there was no where for me to throw away my dogs wastes. The paths are really easy to follow.

Monday, January 22, 2018

easy mostly flat paths .. well marked. natural center open from 9am-430pm daily.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Nice easy stroll in the woods, close to DC and with lots of solitude.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice hike around the lake. Also, check out the nature center.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Absolutely beautiful in the summer. Since we had a late start to the day, I didn't want a long hike. So, I took my dog and we had a great time walking about and watching the wildlife. We even saw some beavers splashing around. Despite the amount of cars, the land is so spread out that it feels very natural and serene. Nothing to complain about at all. I'll definitely go again, and maybe bring a picnic basket too!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The lake is pretty. I went during the fall on a rainy day, so I'd like to go back when everything is green

Sunday, June 18, 2017

I loved this trail. Beautiful green brush and trees opening up sometimes for water views. Paths were easy to walk. There was a little bridge overlooking gorgeous white and pink water lilies. This easy hike was essentially a good stretch of your legs (it will still tire you out). My dog liked it too. The only downside was that I couldn't find a trashcan to put my dog waste bag in! Why?

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Nice easy trail for 2 out of shape older people. Helpful staff at the visitors center.