Cash Lake Loop Trail

Cash Lake Loop Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laurel, Maryland that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The hike is short but the scenery and wildlife are terrific. It starts at the visitor center for the Patuxent National Wildlife refuge, near Beltsville, Md. Trails are very well marked and you can get a trail map inside the visitor center. This is a great family outing. 256 wild bird species have been spotted in the refuge.

My dogs and I wanted to get out and the nice weather today and this park is pretty close to my house. It’s probably really beautiful in the summer time, so I suggest going then. Parking was great, but again, I can see it running out quickly on a really nice day. The only real negative thing I can say about this outing is that there was no where for me to throw away my dogs wastes. The paths are really easy to follow.

easy mostly flat paths .. well marked. natural center open from 9am-430pm daily.

Nice easy stroll in the woods, close to DC and with lots of solitude.

Nice hike around the lake. Also, check out the nature center.

Absolutely beautiful in the summer. Since we had a late start to the day, I didn't want a long hike. So, I took my dog and we had a great time walking about and watching the wildlife. We even saw some beavers splashing around. Despite the amount of cars, the land is so spread out that it feels very natural and serene.

Nothing to complain about at all. I'll definitely go again, and maybe bring a picnic basket too!

The lake is pretty. I went during the fall on a rainy day, so I'd like to go back when everything is green

I loved this trail. Beautiful green brush and trees opening up sometimes for water views. Paths were easy to walk. There was a little bridge overlooking gorgeous white and pink water lilies. This easy hike was essentially a good stretch of your legs (it will still tire you out). My dog liked it too.

The only downside was that I couldn't find a trashcan to put my dog waste bag in! Why?

Nice easy trail for 2 out of shape older people. Helpful staff at the visitors center.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

A nice easy loop - do it two or three times for training. Family friendly, nearby parking, accessible most of the year.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

My dog and I decided to explore this stroll/hike..Having lived in Hawaii and hiking, I didn't expect much.

The hike was surprisingly pleasant, I enjoyed the scenery, peaceful and it was clean.
The weather was beautiful, and the trail is marked very well, you cannot get lost. you can also get a map right at the beginning of the hikes.
parking was also good, but on a day when it's really full, I can see the space running out quick, not a lot of space.

Negetive is that there is no trash can anywhere to put dog waste..and that just didn't make sense to me.

For someone who isn't looking for anything strenuous and long..this could work.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

This is an excellent location to take the kids, easy walking, lots of birds, deer, beavers and other wild life,
Excellent fishing too.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

A very enjoyable nature walk with great wildlife viewing! During the summer I saw turtles, snakes, skinks, and so many birds! I love this place!

Thursday, September 22, 2016

this was a fun easy trail my dogs loved it and even with two dogs we saw tons of wildlife! there are some nice places to stop and just gaze at the lake we brought lunch it was perfect.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Easy trail but scenic and great for those slowly getting back out there!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

If your looking for a challenge, this isn't a good one. Good place for kids, walking your dog or just out for a stroll.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Nice lots of shade. Very
quiet.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Very nice loop. Lots of critters along the trail.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

it's a nice maintained trail. If you take the fire road around you can turn it into a 5 mile hike with a little hilly section in the back.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Easy family hike, esp for young children (once they are out of strollers and can keep up.) Very few up/downs, very nice scenery and lots of variety in pathway in terms of ecosystems (lake, woods, meadows, pond.) The pontoon bridge is always a highlight for the kids.
Only downside is that on a hot day, the walks across the exposed dams are very, very hot!
The visitor center is nicer than you might anticipate,with clean restrooms, gift shop and even a small theater. (Much better than North Tract's Contact station!)

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Lovely stroll!

Sunday, June 07, 2015

My daughter and I love this hike. It's convenient to metro area. We always see deer and a large variety of birds including egrets herons and Hawks. Great for kids as well. Use tick repellent though

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Nice trails. Walked around Cash Lake - bridges are all open. Some warning signs due to hunting season but overall a nice peaceful walk that I would highly recommend. In the middle of the Baltimore-Washington region but fairly secluded. Wasnt too crowded the day I went despite it being a nice warm winter day.

Friday, April 06, 2012

Since part of the Cash Lake Trail is closed, we actually hiked the Fire Road Trail, which was very nice, and a good hike with children. We saw some interesting fungus, heard lots of birds and enjoyed the early spring foliage. I definitely want to go back in the fall. With all the sweet gum trees, it is bound to be excellent for fall colors.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

We went back today and discovered that the backside of the cash lake loop is closed due to bridge issues. They don't know when the bridge will be looked at so that portion of the trail is closed indefinitely. This is disappointing since this was the highlight of of our hike back on May. Still, a nice place to do a short hike if you are close by.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

We went here recently and hiked the trails around Cash Lake. The hike only took about two hours and that was with many stops to check out the wildlife. The area is very well preserved and offers chances to see all kinds of animals.