Cascade Falls Trail

Cascade Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Ilchester, Maryland that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great temperatures over the weekend. I also finally took down my Xmas lights. I hiked up to the Bloede dam first to see the progress on the dam removal then looped back. River road trail had a lot of ice on it in spots. I then went up to the Cascade Falls. The Park was crowded due to the weather being warmer. Many people were hiking up to the Falls and the falls were frozen over. You could walk on all the ice at the Falls but the earthen trails were very muddy due to the ground thawing out.

Nice after work hike. The trail was a little muddy from yesterdays rain.

My friend and I started our hike at the Lost Lake parking lot. We started out on Grist Mill Trail. This trail was entirely paved (which was a little boring), but along the way, we spotted little viewing spots of the Patapsco River, tunnels underneath the train tracks, and even a few little tunnel-like passages that while I wouldn't recommend going into, were fascinating to see. At the swinging bridge off of Grist Mill, we crossed onto the Cascade Trail, which was much more rugged. It crossed streams and waterfalls many times and had lots of opportunities to explore the surrounding areas. This hike was only about 5 or 6 miles long but one of my favorites so far. As well as hiking, I was taking time to photograph some of the views.

Always nice quick escape at the end of a long day to see the falls.

Thursday, January 12, 2017