Cascade Falls, Lewis and Clark, Old Track, Morning Choice, Valley View Trail

Cascade Falls, Lewis and Clark, Old Track, Morning Choice, Valley View Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patapsco Woods, Maryland that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a fairly easy one. You could park at the swinging bridge or on Landing Rd. If parking at Landing Rd. then access the loop via the Morning Choice trail.There is a water fountain and restrooms at the swinging bridge. The trail features the Cascade Falls and a few small stream crossings. Plenty of shade trees on trail when hot out. You can see the whole ridge during the winter season on Valley View trail section.

I hiked over 400 miles last year and much of it was in the Patapsco Valley State Park. I basically live here and hike 3 to 4 days a week. The All Trails maps are great but the Googles maps falls short when it coming to trail updates. I created a map last year of this complete area of the park. Message me at baltoken@yahoo.com for a copy. It can be printed at 2 foot by 2 foot. Will spotty cell service in the area it’s good to have a backup. I read many of the comments that people state about the trails and I do understand a few of the issue but many of them can be resolved. I am glad to help. Just asked me!

This hike was good but it was not what I planned. From the All Trails app I selected the Patapsco Elkridge Side loop (The Trail) and in the directions selection, I opened Google maps. I drove into the park until the roadway ended and parked in the parking lot. The only trail signs posted were the River Road Trail and the Cascade Trail. Google Maps indicated the location was 300 feet further on the left.
I hiked the distance and entered a trail where hikers were exiting. The incline was decent and when I looked at the All Trails app it indicated The Trail was located to the south. I spoke to a trail runner who said they were familiar with the area and he said the section that I came up was frequently used but not on any of the maps he had seen. He had not heard of the Patapsco Elkridge Side loop trail. I went to the south and ended up in the position that the app indicated was the Patapsco Elkridge Side loop. However it was part of the Cascade Falls Trail.
Since the app is new to me I found that I had to zoom in close to see the actual trail name which was in fact Cascade Falls Trail. As noted by Kenneth Grimm in another post, the cell service was a bit funny (intermittent especially on the west side) and cell service was lost numerous times.
Along the way I spoke to another hiker and during the conversation he said he inspects the birch trees to see what dates were in graved on them. He found a tree indicating 1945. I don’t cut into trees myself but I found that interesting and I found a marking “September 1955” see the posted picture.
As I was getting near the end of the hike I did go by the Cascade falls. To my surprise there was no one near the falls and I was able to take several photos. In the end my hiking partner got tired and planed 2.9 mile hike became 3.8 miles. But any day on the trail is a great day!
I noted the path that I took had several different trail colors and sometime two different colors together. In the picture the morning Choice trail is identified as yellow. I found another sign indicating the Ridge Trail was Blue. With the intermittent cell service I found the trail a little confusing. Next time I go to this park I will hike a trail by its official park name and use the All Trails app to help me stay on that path.

Real guud.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

I parked on Landings Rd to access this. Somewhat limited parking at this site, but it was 32 - 36 degrees the day I went and I didn't have a problem parking. The trail is wide and well maintained. I hiked the trail this day. I started this particular loop by going counter clockwise to avoid some of the foot traffic heading to the falls. This was probably a good decision. By doing this I was able to get the hills out of the way in the beginning Be aware of all the side trails that may get you off track. The trails are blazed but it can get confusing on which route to take. I had good cell reception and used this app to navigate it. The small falls is a cool stop for lunch. It seems to be heavily visited though. Be aware of the bikes on the trail. There are lots of them, but not a huge deal. You hear them way before you see them. Biking this looks like fun. Overall this is a decent little hike worth checking out that won't cause you to drive forever to get to.