Cascade Falls & Bike Buster Loop

Cascade Falls & Bike Buster Loop is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patapsco Woods, Maryland that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Park at the Swinging Bridge. (Orange Grove Area). There is a restroom and water fountain in this location. Hike up the Cascade Falls Trail (BLUE) and take a few photos of the little falls. This trail has a few boulders to go over up at the falls. Beware of the weather because of water flows and a few stream crossings. The Cascade Falls Trail loop has changed a bit due to erosion issues. The Rootball Trail is permanently closed and is just about disappeared. The only option to the loop now is the Bike Buster. This trail is a bit rocky and a quick downhill if you are not careful. Muddy when wet.

Beautiful day out and the park got super crowded. It was so crowded the DNR was working the gate. Bikers and Hikers where everywhere. Great to see so many people out and about. I first hiked up old River Rd. to check on the dam removing progress. On my way back I decided to climb the Bike Buster trail to short cut my way to the Falls. To avoid much of the Cascade Falls trail I took the upper trails then came back down the Cascade. This way I did have to go up and back on the crowded Falls trail.

this trail is easy.

We parked on the south side on Landing Rd—just a little pull off there. Hiked on the east side of the trail, following the river downhill. We ended up at the trail head by the bridge (scary when walking across!!) we doubled back along the creek instead of doing the whole loop. It got fairly dark by 430pm! And all uphill back was quite the burn

Tuesday, May 02, 2017