Learn more

Cascade Falls Loop Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Elkridge, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.0 mi Elevation gain 377 ft Route type Loop

Photos (958)
Recordings (1072)
Completed (2538)
J Gurley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 14 2020
Hiking

Don’t know how we made it so hard but we did! Trail markings could be better....everything is BLUE. Should’ve taken 30 mins to falls at most from Landing Rd but no. I suggest parking at Swinging Bridge lot.

John Michael Sundiam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 13 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great trail and easy to get through. Was muddy but nothing too crazy. Waterfall wasn’t as impressive but nice to sit by.

View John Michael's Recording
Natalie Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 13 2020
Hiking

DONT BE FOOLED BRING A MAP, I went on a “1 hour “ hike today at 6pm. my friend and I got so extremely lost deep in the woods that it became pitch black and our phones were about to die. Thank GOODNESS, two guys were “night hiking” and found us. It is beautiful here but i suggest coming extremely prepared. It’s better to be safe than sorry. We didn’t make it out until 10pm. Side notes, we learned the hard way what a lot of the signs are not accurate ! Haha

Janae Sturgis
HikingGreat!Muddy

Went hiking with my 2 grand daughters they had been before n told me to look for the yellow spots on the trees , in which I saw blue, & yellow spots on the trees. The signs need to be MORE INFORMATIVE . Show the direction to get to the Falls we followed n got lost thank God I saw a car I kept following the trail until we got out of the wood and we were back on Landing Rd where I had parked . We had 14 miles to go to get back to the car n started at Morning choice trail on Landing Rd. We circled back around got lost in the loop . Park people show the direction to get to the falls u shouldn’t have to try to guess. I’m gona try again but didn’t like being lost what signs that are there don’t show accurate direction

Natalie Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

Planned to do a “loop”. Ended up getting lost. Pretty trail, but it’s very easy to get lost

View Natalie's Recording
Joshua Sizemore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

Nice trial. Love the swinging bridge. Falls were little and very crowded but still fun. Nice tree cover. Lots of trails and signs but terribly marked. Follow trails via your map not the signs or the markings as they are confusing.

Valerie Walker-Clark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
HikingBridge outMuddyWashed out

Pretty waterfalls. Muddy. But this is my go to quick hike

View Valerie's Recording
Jasmine Tiger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great for viewing the waterfall. Trail was a little narrow and precarious

Megan Neal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

We went at 8 o'clock on a Saturday and it was already busy, but there were a few spots on Landing. Our friends tried to wait in the line at the park entrance and probably would have been there for at least an hour. The trail is very crowded with hikers, bikers, and large groups. I would say most were wearing a mask, but there were many that did not wear a mask or follow social distancing. The trail, especially near the falls, was packed by the time we were leaving around 10:30. The falls themselves are okay - but you will have to dodge lots of people and get yelled at by hiking groups to actually pause and enjoy them. The trail itself was beautiful with lots of turns to accidentally take, so make sure to have your map if you want to stay on it. There are a few places you cross over streams/rocks, so be prepared for that. The first part of the loop is mostly flat/downhill, but the second half has lots of up hill paths. We enjoyed it overall, but I would not say it is worth dealing with the crowd.

Michael Paredes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 26 2020
Hiking

The parking is along a 2 lane road and there were dozens of cars parked there at 3 pm on a Friday. Did not even attempt, too busy.

Roland Kearney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

Love this trail. Thought it would be too short but the steep hills more than compensated for the shorter hike!

Gloria Rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
HikingRocky
View Gloria's Recording
Kevin Olson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingBridge outMuddy
View Kevin's Recording
Alyssa Yuan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

This was a fun and fairly easy trail! Very shaded. I went with my 4 adults, 1 child (7-years old) and a dog. The waterfall was pretty, but we only saw one waterfall (I know some people mention two). It is a pretty worn trail and is narrow. Be prepared to step aside for mountain bikers too - we came in contact with quite a few! Here are some tips I wish I would have known before going: Parking: Get there EARLY! We got there at 7:45am on a Sunday and barely found a space on the side of the road. We parked on the side of Landing Road (where Waze takes you when you type in “Cascade Falls Trail”). This avoids actually entering the park with a car and is free. Trail Markers: I was happy I had my AllTrails app or else, we would have totally gotten lost! Even in some cases, we ended up off the trail or had to circle back, so be sure to have a map. Length: This trail on AllTrails says 3 miles, but we ended up going around 5 miles when all was said and done. Would definitely recommend and come back for a nice, local hike.

View Alyssa's Recording
Ariel Ayres
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 05 2020
Hiking

I would recommend this trail, but it’s best to go early because some of the paths are narrow. The second waterfall is pretty hard to miss because you walk through it to stay on the trail.

View Ariel's Recording
Jason Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 03 2020
Hiking

A lot of cars parked on the side of the road. Kid friendly and keep your dogs on a leash. Come early, and enjoy!

View Jason's Recording
Joanna Werner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 01 2020
Hiking

Fun and exciting trail. Hiked with dog, husband, 11 year old boy and 8 year old girl-who is a tough cookie. The trail up to the large water fall is easy and easily achievable. However, if you are trying to do the “loop” be careful and study the trail guide before adventuring our further. We got lost and no signal to check the app. We made it out, but it was a tad crazy and scary.

Janna T.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 31 2020
Hiking

I couldn’t find an entrance to the trail even I saw a lot of cars were parked across the street on Landing and it seemed they were confusing too. And reading some of reviews here regarding parking and being towed, get a ticket made me nervous so I left, unfortunately :(.

Kelly Cornwell Patino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
Hiking

Excellent hiking trail!! Stunning views. Great workout!

Stephanie Johnson
Hiking

Gorgeous and super dog friendly

May Jay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 30 2020
Hiking

Definitely a good trail to hike with family. It was a lot of people when we went, not too muddy, great place to bring your pet too

L Williams
Hiking

This is a nice area to hike in. I agree with other posters that navigating is very confusing and it's easy to get lost. One note, they've recently raised the entrance fee to $5 and there's longer an "honor system" but rather a person at the entrance collecting money. If you can make it inside before they reach capacity, it's a great area explore.

J raine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed May 27 2020
Hiking

Really nice but a bit of a misnomer to call it a trail. It is more a mesh of trails. There are many intersecting trails and most of them are blazed blue. You hit intersections where both directions are blue. That said, it is really scenic and enjoyable. It helps to have the All Trails app to find your way around

Johnny Lingo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
HikingPrivate property

Can someone please update the start and stop to the inside of the park? Howard county police have been ticketing many cars here for creating the following dangerous situations: 1) Cars park over the white line creating dangerous situations to car and pedestrian traffic on Landing Road. 2) Cars are parking on private property on the south side of Landing road blocking the view at intersections for vehicles turning into oncoming traffic. 3) Pedestrians (including toddlers) are forced to walk down the middle of the road because of Parking in an area not suitable for a high volume of traffic. There has also been in increase of tow trucks seen along the south side of Landing Road. I’d hate to see Alltrails and it users responsible for any unfortunate accidents because the start and stop of this hike is mislabeled. A start and stop from inside the park with plenty of safer parking is a much better option. Happy trails!