Cascade Falls Loop Trail

Cascade Falls Loop Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Elkridge, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 377 feet Route Type: Loop

Pay close attention to the map. The trail can be a little confusing. Otherwise, it’s a great hike! My pup and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nice hike but confusing at times and we definitely had to back track a few times. Ended up being a 6 mile hike instead of 3! Lots of bikers and sometimes the path was very narrow which made it hard to get out of the way.

it was great for a first hike. foot trail to bike trail is not super clearly marked just kind of follow the blue swatches on tress. great though!

Take a stop at the river where you can walk/swim then view the little waterfalls with swimming holes.

Dog friendly and very shaded! The waterfall area was super crowded when I went so I wasn’t able to check it out but a little bit down the trail and across the road was a stream that I was able to hang out at with my dog. Super nice and the water was clean.

I absolutely loved this trail. The shade of the trees keeps you cool and the waterfall is refreshing! ((Definitely a great trail for dogs/pups))

What a beautiful hike! Did the full loop, got to swim under the waterfall and climb up some nice rocky hills. Only downside is it’s super busy, lots of families and some of the paths are small so you get stuck behind them. But overall would definitely reccomend !

Easy clean trail. Heavy traffic and plenty of shade. GPS put it at about 4.6 miles though

Trails are nice very rocky the falls are beautiful but other then that and the Forrest not much to look at. Had some good ups and downs. Go early in the morning lots of people by the falls thru out the day.

On my pass few trips I have been featuring loops from the Cascade Falls to the New Trail. - If you look at my other loops you will see the difference. - Today's loop was basically the shortest at 2.5 miles. - I connected via the first inner loop. - The loop I did a couple of days ago was via the second outer loop, which ended up being 3.8 miles. - The cool thing about this track is you could do the Falls first or save them for last. - The River Rd. section is flat and basically paved so you could save the easy section for last. - - These loops are all on the right side of the stream as you head up from the Swinging Bridge. - Very poor cell service by the restroom so many map programs will not load. The GPS will still record but the maps don't show up on the software. - A paper map is a great backup. **** Email me for my FREE special map of the Cascades. **** baltoken@yahoo.com

This was a fun trail to wander. There was a few areas due to rain we needed to navigate a little more carefully. It made the hike interesting. Will be back with our dog :)

We had fun! Myself, husband and three kids (8,5,3) had no problems navigating the trail. There were some areas that took a little more care, but we had a blast. It’s a beautiful trail. We went on a warmish summer day (~83°F) and the trees shaded the trail the whole way. We might bring the dogs next time.

Been hiking this trail since childhood. Peaceful and serene in the early morning without people.

Really nice trail. You have to be careful and have a map or use this app because you can easily get off track.

Great trail and scenic walk to the falls. I took my 4 year old and 8 year old girls and they loved it. The trail was easy enough for the little one yet fun with butterflies, dragon flies and things to see. My phone and downloaded map worked the whole way through so it was great to follow along just to see how far the actual waterfall was away. Overall they girls had fun and want to do it again.

Nice trails but download the map! Parts of the trails aren't marked. Overall, very enjoyable and worth the trip! You forget you're so close to town on the backside of the loop. Highly recommend!

Beautifully maintained trail. I would definitely recommend following a map of some kind as there are tons of trails and it would be easy to end up hiking much further than you intend to. Pretty heavily trafficked, lots of hikers, bikers, runners. Crowds of people at the falls, so not very peaceful, but still pretty.

Easy to moderate trail through central Maryland forest. Blue blazes can be inconsistent on the trail, so bringing a map or using a mapping application is recommended.

the trail is well marked. it's a well hiked trail I saw many other hikers. the steam running alongside is very picturesque. I enjoyed the waterfall. I would have liked to see a map to check progress. I wasn't sure whether to go on or turn back from the falls, I turned back. over all I enjoyed the hike

I would recommend this trail for anyone looking for some time with nature away from urban life. We went on a nice summer Saturday around noon and were isolated for most of the hike - except at the waterfall itself which was somewhat crowded. The trial is good for families, those new to hiking and hikers with dogs. The trail is wide and mostly flat. When there was an incline, it wasn’t too steep. I definitely recommend having the map downloaded as there is one or two parts of the trail where it is easy to take a turn onto a different trail. Don’t forget your bug spray!

It’s a beautiful trail not too far from the city! It’s rated moderate but is on the easier side. The trail is mostly through dense forest and has a nice little waterfall. Make sure you download the map beforehand because it is so easy to lose the Blue marker. The trail connects with some other trails and the Blue marker on the trees is inconsistent. There is no map posted at the site. We could only get back after downloading this app and then using the map to return.

This trail is a hidden gem close to DC. It offers several views along the way including the falls. Get there early to park on the shoulder. We loved it.

This was a very nice trail. With lots of friendly people.

This is a great trail! I recently got into hiking and have been hiking moderate rated courses for the challenge and because they seem to have nicer views. there are a couple streams that you have to cross using rocks and there are several areas that are very Rocky or root ridden from trees so your feet may get tired. If you aren't familiar with the trail, you may want a map as this trail meets up with several other so if you aren't careful, you can end up hiking a lot further and possibly get turned around. overall, it had some nice views, especially the water fall! I will probably hike this trail again to Branch out and see the other areas

Love this trail! But keep your map handy unless you're ok with rehiking some of the more "interestingly marked" sections. Lots of twists and rocks to climb if you're so inclined (get it?)

Great trail tucked away off Lewis Rd (park along the road to avoid fees/start at the entrance of the trail). Got a little lost coming back but as long as you follow the blue markings on the trees, you should be fine. Beautiful views and peaceful setting! Expect to get a little wet/muddy when crossing little creeks. Everyone on the trail was friendly and respectful!