Black Locust Trail

Black Locust Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Frederick, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Black Locust Trail warmly invites the hiker as the trail opens to the northwest with a gentle rise and an abundance of magnificent Mountain Laurel. However, this initial impression belies some of the rougher terrain that awaits the less sure footed explorer. The trail is highly characterized by scenic overlooks, Tulip Poplars, Oaks, Locusts, and the ever present Mountain Laurel, which being in full blossom added greatly to the scenic appeal. An overall recommend trail with careful consideration for the younger hikers.

Great views! However it is more challenging than moderate with the rocks - especially the downhill after 1.2 miles . It can be tricky with fall leaves covering the rocks.

A good bit of up and down. Couple of nice look-outs.

We got a bit lost, and ended up accidentally following the green trail for a bit, but the black was easy enough to get back on to, and the maps were very accurate. I think we missed some overlooks as a result. :(

This trail is a little bit harder then they describe it, however it's manageable be ready to let your dog stop for water breaks if you go in the summer! beautiful veiws, a very relaxing hike, and the most rewarding view is at the top of course! this trail seems longer then 2 miles and the hills are long, yet once you get to the top it's a easy loop back down making a great workout. My dog loved it..i went way to late though and had a nice park ranger help me back to my car! if you want to watch the sunset like I had planned get there at 7:30 or 8:00pm! so rewarding to hike. Also they saw a bear yesterday, so amazing to think this is so close to my home!

Nice Hike

fun hike, and great scenery! some of the rocky parts are a bit tricky due to the rocks being small and loose, but over all alot of fun!

This is a kid friendly hike with enough diversity to hold everyone's attention. There are some steep climbs interspersed with some flat areas. Also there are two very nice overlooks.

decent

Friday, November 11, 2016

Hiked this trail with kids - 12 & 7 with a 2 year old on my back. It was great hike. A word of caution though - cross the street when you are in the parking lot and get on the trail there. The trailhead from the parking lot leads to a long, uphill climb and is SOO much easier going the other way. I was thankful for the AllTrails app because it clued me into this and we went the easier way!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Enjoyed the view!

Friday, October 21, 2016

How are the leaves looking there now? Thanks!

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Good workout. Enjoyed the views from the lookouts!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

I bought a new backpack for a few trips my son and I plan to take this fall. We chose this park as a trail run. The trial was great. Very little traffic for a late summer trek. Lots of flat to offset the up and down hill parts. Views are worth the effort. Lots of trail options here. Can't wait to spend another day checking them out. Trails are well marked with great signs.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

I have done this trail twice with my boys. It is not easy and does give a good workout.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

This is a great day-hike area. With Gambrill campground connecting to this and with the few road access/parking areas intersecting the road, you can easily scale hikes in this area to meet the needs of most folks while staying away from the rush of big crowds.

I did a 3.6 mile version of this hike with a few friends and it was a little different for each of us. Some were exhausted, I felt it was a good level for exercise, but the trail blazer was left looking for more. The different parking areas seem to be strategically placed between the sections of varying difficulty, so it has segments perfect for children or elders.

The overlook spots are close to the road, so you could easily make your way there for a sun rise (for the one east-facing overlook) or set (three good spots for sun sets) without having to navigate the trail in the dark.

If this is part of your longer thru hike, there are a few streams, but there was only one flowing (assisted spring?) while we were there. No matter though, the park at the peak has both potable water and bathrooms.... Not sure if they close or shut of after dark though.

Some trails were bike friendly but I only saw two riders and they were only on the northern end of the loop, heading to the overlook. The rest of the cyclists (and there were MANY) were all using the road.

I don't believe any camping along the trail is permitted though. Just at the campgrounds near by, which are many. It's well marked and maintained. Even surprisingly clean from evidence of the pets I saw on the the trail.

10 out of 10: would do again.

OH! The Gambrill campground has a few (four?) tent spots that can ONLY be reserved in person. Good info if ever you wanna try your luck after being turned down by the online reservation system.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Only did a section of this one, while hiking the yellow trail with my dog. I really like what little I did of this trail and looking forward to being able to do the entire trail next time we visit.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Two great views, but parts of the trail weren't clearly marked. Overall, a nice workout.

Friday, June 10, 2016

A steep-ish ascent with two lovely vistas--one within a mile or two, and a second a mile after that. You will see other hikers on a nice enough day, but the trail is solitary enough that you can enjoy a packed lunch with a view. One of my favorite moderate hikes, easygoing with the opportunity for a nice workout if you take it fast enough.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great hike. Gets the heart rate up with the hills.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Nice short hike near Frederick, located in Gambrill State Park. The Maryland Dept of Natural Resources Trail Guide rates the BLT as difficult, but to an experienced hiker this would barely rate as moderate. There are sections with rocky footing and some moderate steady climbs, but that's it. No scrambling and zero exposure. Nice views can be had of Frederick, especially from the North Frederick Overlook. The Middletown Overlook offers views of Middletown valley and the South Mountain ridge, along which the Appalachian Trail runs it's north/south path.