Billy Goat Trail Loop

Billy Goat Trail Loop is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Potomac, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The trail is demarcated by blue blazes and is accessible year-round. Protected by NPS and TNC. Section "A" (1.7mi; 3.7mi loop via Towpath) is the most popular and arduous section requiring scrambling over angled rocks, boulders, and climbing. Section "B" (1.4mi) is rated as moderate. Minimal rock scrambling is required. Section "C" (1.6 mi) is also rated as moderate. $10 Fee to Enter Park.

The fellow hikers and wildlife reminded me of all that's good in the world. What a gorgeous trail!

I have been doing this trail for a few years now. I could draw a map complete with distance from memory alone. I have seen the same rocks so many times I even know where some interestingly shaped rocks are located on the trail. I have walked it, run it, climbed it..lol.. I'm even getting ready to volunteer as a safety guy when I can..

And after all of that, I still think this is one of the best trails I've ever been on. It never gets old!

This trail has a great sense of familiarity, but that is what makes it so great. Once you've done it a couple times you remember where you are and where you're going; where that one rock with all the turtles are; that dead tree that changes the landscape in the middle of all the huge vegetation growth. It's an easy enough trail to take friends and family on with no complaining and show them all the stuff you've already seen. Some of the views of the river from the rocks are just epic and you'll just never forget them.

OK, that's my sappy love story with the Billy Goat lol!

If you are a more experienced hiker, or you enjoy trail running, you can start at the top of section A and take the Gold Mine loop trail by the house on the left (you can easily miss it). Take the Gold Mine to the Woodland trail and take that to the canal tow path, and then take the Billy Goat section A back to the parking lot. That's become my go to for a great workout and a great hike in general.

Did section A today, had a blast with my my girlfriend. Great views from atop the rocks. If you want to beat the crowds get there early! Will definitely return to complete all 3 loops.

Fun rock scrambles alongside the river and falls!

Awesome amazing experience......

Great trail with great views. I would recommend going as early as possible or during a weekday because it gets quite busy on the weekend.