Bacon Ridge Trail

Bacon Ridge Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Crownsville, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is somewhat easy but not very well marked. Moderate hills make this a great trail for beginners and is heavily used by mountain bikers.

Really nice trail, but there were quite a few mountain bikers who disregard trail etiquette and will fly past you without ringing a bell or an "on your left". Cyclists, announcing your presence on the trail is for the safety of others and for yourselves.

amazing

See my review from October 28, 2017. The only thing that I would add is the Route 97 road noise was noticeable not only at the beginning of the trail, it was also Noticeable at the end of the loop. That section of the trail is also close to route 97. Overall, the hike was great!

The Bacon Ridge Trail was an enjoyable hike in the woods. The parking lot fit about a dozen vehicles and the Hawkins road shoulder provided additional parking. The trailhead is located beside the parking lot. The trail itself was a dirt path that was easy to follow especially since it doubles as a mountain bike track. At the beginning of the trail I immediately heard the heavy traffic noise from Route 97. Fortunately that distraction was replaced with the sounds of nature as I continued further back in the trail. There was a refreshing mixture of inclines and descents throughout the trail. It was important to watch out for the large tree roots that were under the leaves that recently fell. There were many mountain bike riders enjoying the trail. Unfortunately only a few cyclists announced that they were racing up behind me. I found myself constantly looking over my shoulder to ensure that I would not be hit. Besides the natural beauty of walking in the woods there were a few things of interest that I noted. First the path provided a good view several steep valleys that had many ferns along the bank. Then there was really large birch tree that was uprooted with a root ball that was over 8’ tall. Last but not least there were several old cars that were abandoned. I believe one was a 1957 Chevy. Without a roadway anywhere in sight, it amazing that the vehicles were abandoned there. Throughout the path there were several signs that indicated the direction back to the parking lot. This local hike was overlooked in the past, but now that I found it I plan on going back.