Avalon Loop Trail

Avalon Loop Trail is a 20.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Baltimore, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This loop covers the majority of the Avalon area, with multiple ruins, waterfalls and other artifacts to find along the way. You will see some settler homes (two of them) one with a dated gas pump 1930s era as well as two old possible outhouses that are probably state park buildings (old ones). This hike also features the Cascade falls area where you can view some of the best falls in the state! The falls are in a valley area and very secluded. A side hike loop is added for length, and adds some more ruins for some old piping fixtures and a barrel. Going over the swinging bridge you will find the ruins of the "superlative" company along the railroad tracks. More artifacts along the side of the road, as well as railroad bridges, tunnels, and aqueducts.

Very nice trail for a family hike.

Probably the best place to hike anywhere near Baltimore.

Great size park with trails leading off roads and walk ways, plenty of places to go and explore with great scenery!

Great trail, easy to make shorter if you use tracking and skip side loops. Love this park!!

Many different trails to make repeat hikes fun and exciting.

When it comes to Hiking or Backpacking the Patapsco Valley State Park, the Avalon, Orange Grove, Hilton, Hilltop and Glen Artney areas are by far the best trail system in the whole Valley area. You can CAMP in the Hilton area at 1101 Hilton Ave. in Catonsville, Md. There are plenty of pavilions, restrooms and drink fountains in many of the sections. There are so many loops you can hike so the miles and terrain will indeed vary pending your planned trip. You can even take the kids hiking or just go to one of the two playgrounds. I have been backpacking this area since the late 60’s and have seen many changes. The biggest was in 1972, The Storm of Agnes. Can you picture the water as high as the railroad tracks? Many of the trails you see on All/Trails was created and recorded by me. I am still out here weekly. Enjoy your Hike. Live and Love Nature.

Friday, November 18, 2016

is this trail still open as of 11/17?

Saturday, September 24, 2016

this was a great trail. we only managed to get just under 9 miles completed. took about 4 hours, taking a 30 minute break for lunch. next time we need to start very early. will probably take close to 8-9 hours to hike the whole thing. I like the varying terrain. can't wait to finish the whole thing. bring lots of water.!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

I have a question about this being good for Road Bikes? Is this really good for road bikes?

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Nice view. The route is clear. Just follow the marks painted on the trees.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Trail was good and we will go again. Lots of roots and stones within the paths. No road noise on most of the paths we took. Sad that previous patrons have desecrated the trees by carving graffiti. There was broken glass in places.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Good, long hike. Terrain is rocky, muddy, mountainous - and yet I got passed by kids, older people. Anyway! The problem I found wasn't that the trails weren't well marked - they're pretty well blazed - it's that because so many of them wind back and forth alongside a steep hill, it can be very easy to be unsure if you're going the right way, even if you're confident you're on the right trail. If I had an EveryTrail app on my phone (it's not available in the App Store), maybe that would have changed things, but I got myself turned around a few times. Still, the views are top notch, and the whole park is well maintained. I saw actual wildlife, which is sort of rare for popular parks (particularly on a holiday).

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Really enjoyed the hike but with this being. My 1st trip I found the signage not very directive. I thought I was going on Avalon Trail but when I arrived at the entrance point it said Morning "something" trail. Very confusing!! But overall it was a great hike but would have never been able to get out of the trail without this app!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Very awesome trail. Highly recommend.

Monday, April 18, 2016

It's great the only thing is NO TRASH CANS!!! You allow dogs but you don't have trash cans for the doggie bags to be disposed and that's inconvenient. That'll be the only thing I would change. Other than that it was great. Hard enough to make it fun but easy enough to enjoy and relax.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Easy but challenging for someone out of shape as myself. Lots a huge hills to climb up. Love this entire park.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Very nice trails. Interesting terrain for the area - I tend to like rocky trails.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

I didn't care for it. The steep trek in wasn't worth the hike to me. However my son likes the railroad tracks and took great shots of the tunnel. Eh. We may go again. The people we met on the trail were all very nice.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

I gave this 5 stars because this covers alot of trails and I've done all these at one time or another and have to agree with others reviews that there is a bit of graffiety and trash witch I feel it could be better maintained but aside from this you can still see alot of great scenery and take lots of different trails of many different skill levels I tend to like a bit of everything when I hike so this works out. I recommend the Grist Mills Trail if you want something to just take a nice walk and see some nice scenery it's paved so it's good for any skill level.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Easy hike with soft trails for the pups paws. The trails are wide and passing is easy. Great quick hike with plenty of places to sit for lunch/snack/relaxation.