Avalon Loop Trail

Avalon Loop Trail is a 20 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Baltimore, Maryland that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 20.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,250 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

As of June 2019, the new section of the Grist Mill Trail is OPEN and so is ALL the rest down to the Lost Lake Pond. - All the trees in the new section are just babies so you are in total SUN LIGHT. - During the summer be sure to carry plenty of water to drink. - The entire trail is paved in blacktop. - If you are hiking between Ilchester Rd. and the Swinging Bridge be careful crossing the section where the bridge is washing out. - Rocks have been piled up to walk across but this spot can flood during a storm. This loop covers the majority of the Avalon area, with multiple ruins, waterfalls and other artifacts to find along the way. You will see some settler homes (two of them) one with a dated gas pump 1930s era as well as two old possible outhouses that are probably state park buildings (old ones). This hike also features the Cascade falls area where you can view some of the best falls in the state! The falls are in a valley area and very secluded. A side hike loop is added for length, and adds some more ruins for some old piping fixtures and a barrel. Going over the swinging bridge you will find the ruins of the "superlative" company along the railroad tracks. More artifacts along the side of the road, as well as railroad bridges, tunnels, and aqueducts.

UPDATE July 25, 2019 All of the Grist Mill Trail and also the upper old River Road is OPEN so you can now do the big loops - All the trees in the NEW Grist Mill section are just babies so you are in total SUN LIGHT. - During the summer be sure to carry plenty of water to drink. - The entire trail is paved in blacktop. - If you are hiking between Ilchester Rd. and the Swinging Bridge be careful crossing the section where the bridge is washing out. - Rocks have been piled up to walk across but this spot can flood during a storm. - Flood signs are posted.

My wife and I took our dog and she loved it. However, the trails weren't really clear and we didn't know where to start or where it looped. After one path be backtracked to another path that was overgrown and hard to follow at points. Ended up going back the way we came and heading home. We decided to not go back because of the conditions of the trails.

It was a nice trail but be warned that there is an entrance fee for the park. It's $3 for locals and $5 for out of state. You can park in the local neighborhoods but the locals don't seem to welcoming to park visitors, but most of those signs are homemade so they're really not legal. The trail does not necessarily follow the dotted line like it shows in the map. When you hit the end you can't come back on the River Road trail unless you want to walk your bike part of the way. Some of the side trails are nice too but unless your are serious mountain biker I would not do them all bike. They seem more like hiking trails. All in all it's a nice park and beautiful scenery.

ok

Tue Oct 30 2018

the hike was beautiful and the Park Rangers or Volunteers were very helpful in getting me to the portion of trail I wanted to be at. I didn't see any rumored "ruins" but the trail has lots of waterfalls, a cool swinging bridge and lots of BIKES. The people on bikes were very friendly but they rode fast and you have very little time to move out of the way. I'd go again though.

Wed Aug 22 2018

Apparently "At capacity", wasn't able to hike it. They also had signage saying there are current projects happening in the area effecting access.

Sat Jul 21 2018

Are there snakes and/or bees this time of year?

Fri Jul 20 2018

Please remove the protruding blowdown at 39.23987, -76.74987 — it is a true hazard and someone could get hurt. Otherwise, 5 stars. Completed: 07/19/2018

Sun Jul 15 2018

Ran a segment of the Avalon Loop Trail. Great trail for running, but watch out for bikers! This segment is one of my go-to courses for training and mile repeats. 4 miles total. Completed: 07/15/2018

Tue Jun 26 2018

Opened up again (at least the Morning Choice portion off of Landing Rd). I was here yesterday and despite being a bit muddy, it was a great hike. One of my favorites in close proximity to Baltimore.

Wed Jun 13 2018

Due to the weather we have had as of late, this section of the park is closed. The Avalon Loop doesn’t exist

Sun Jun 10 2018

Park closed due to flooding in May.

Wed May 16 2018

at see we s4get oo

Sat May 12 2018

Park opens at 9am! I got here at 6am to start my hike but gate is CLOSED! WTF

Mon Oct 09 2017

Sat Sep 16 2017

Very nice trail for a family hike.

Sun May 21 2017

Probably the best place to hike anywhere near Baltimore.

Tue May 16 2017

Great size park with trails leading off roads and walk ways, plenty of places to go and explore with great scenery!

Mon May 08 2017

Great trail, easy to make shorter if you use tracking and skip side loops. Love this park!!

Sun Apr 02 2017

Many different trails to make repeat hikes fun and exciting.

Fri Nov 18 2016

is this trail still open as of 11/17?

Sat Sep 24 2016

this was a great trail. we only managed to get just under 9 miles completed. took about 4 hours, taking a 30 minute break for lunch. next time we need to start very early. will probably take close to 8-9 hours to hike the whole thing. I like the varying terrain. can't wait to finish the whole thing. bring lots of water.!

Tue Aug 30 2016

I have a question about this being good for Road Bikes? Is this really good for road bikes?

Thu Aug 04 2016

Nice view. The route is clear. Just follow the marks painted on the trees.

Sat Jul 16 2016

Trail was good and we will go again. Lots of roots and stones within the paths. No road noise on most of the paths we took. Sad that previous patrons have desecrated the trees by carving graffiti. There was broken glass in places.

Mon May 30 2016

Good, long hike. Terrain is rocky, muddy, mountainous - and yet I got passed by kids, older people. Anyway! The problem I found wasn't that the trails weren't well marked - they're pretty well blazed - it's that because so many of them wind back and forth alongside a steep hill, it can be very easy to be unsure if you're going the right way, even if you're confident you're on the right trail. If I had an EveryTrail app on my phone (it's not available in the App Store), maybe that would have changed things, but I got myself turned around a few times. Still, the views are top notch, and the whole park is well maintained. I saw actual wildlife, which is sort of rare for popular parks (particularly on a holiday).

Sat May 28 2016

Really enjoyed the hike but with this being. My 1st trip I found the signage not very directive. I thought I was going on Avalon Trail but when I arrived at the entrance point it said Morning "something" trail. Very confusing!! But overall it was a great hike but would have never been able to get out of the trail without this app!

Fri May 13 2016

Very awesome trail. Highly recommend.