Assateague Island National Seashore

Assateague Island National Seashore is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ocean City, Maryland that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Directions from Berlin, MD: Travel east along Route 376 about 4 miles turning right onto Route 611. Follow it several miles south carrying it directly to the parkland. Signage is excellent.

Please be aware three is any entrance fee of$20 for a week. they also have annual passes.

A must do during the fall. Temperatures are pleasant, crowds have died down for the season, and wild horses provide visitors such a unique experience!

Always love to visit this park when im here. The park is beautiful. Love seeing the wild horses too while walking the park. If your in town and enjoy the outdoors this is a must.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Wind, rain, sand! Who had the dumb idea to hike the beach in the winter? Maybe some other time.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Probably a better hike for fall. It was almost Christmas and we got caught in the cold blowing rain. It is too long for the punch. If we had seen the horses maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

Monday, December 19, 2016

I thought we would see some wild horses but it did not happen.

Monday, December 19, 2016

We only went to the picnic area and back. There were a lot of birds but not much else.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Came here in December and it was very quiet. Only a few fishermen. Great walk along the beach. Temperature was good for a walk and no wind was blowing so we loved it. Clean beaches.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Absolutely love it there! I go every fall..

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

There was a nice breeze going, I did it in 90 degree heat, but that's my fault. I did almost nine miles. I found it very relaxing, I did not see a ton of wild life. I would do it again. There is a picnic are about 2.5 miles in. Use the beach access entry, I used the off road vehicle entrance and it wasn't convenient.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Really cool park! Not much of a hike but the horses are amazing

Friday, June 05, 2015

Love camping here. Once off the beach though there are so many mosquitos it makes it no fun to hike.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Great. Campsite on the beach and horses walk into your site

Thursday, August 14, 2014

I backpacked the whole beach (approximately 20 to 25 miles) barefoot in about 14 hours. It was awesome, I saw about a dozen wild ponies and a ton of piping clovers. A word of advice: not for the faint hearted. if you walk anywhere farther than about 30 feet from shore, you'd be swarmed by the mosquitoes. I attempted to sleep in between a couple of dunes that span the entire beach but quickly abandoned the notion as the dunes prevented the wind from husking the bugs away. They drove me to sleep about 10 feet from the ocean, which I wasn't crazy about because I didn't know if the tide would be coming in or not. After about 10 miles South of the last parking lot in Maryland there were no more campers. You have to make sure to bring enough food and water because it it desolate. I had to squeeze through the fence at the state line and then about another 10 miles south of it was my pickup at the Chincoteague national wildlife refuge where I ended. More advice: walking on the wet, tighter packed sand reduced the stress on my feet.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Backpacked from Maryland to Virginia (about 20-25 miles). Did not keep my phone on so I couldn't GPS my route. Took me about 14 hours, beautiful; collected all sorts of Wampum. I saw about a dozen wild ponies and a ton of plovers. Had to squeeze through the fence on the state line. Slept right near the ocean and avoided the mosquitoes. Initially I had set up camp near some of the endless dunes that span the beach but I was immediately swarmed. Word of advice: stick close to the Oceanside. Overall though very nice hike. Very desolate. You better bring enough water, food and supplies. Once you pass all of the campers in Maryland it is just nothing but beach until you get to the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Definitely not for the faint hearted.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Fun little .5 mile trail with wild horses!

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Camping on the Island: (Only available on the MD state park side near Ocean City). Check-in is at noon and each beach campsite is pretty large and has a grill. There are backwoods campsites, some of which accessible by kayak. Car passes are $15, beach camping is $25 and back country camping is $5. Dogs are allowed for camping on the beach but not the backwoods area. There are several bathrooms with showers spread out the beach campgrounds - you will always be no more than a 10 min walk to one.

Kayaking: You can rent kayaks for about $10/hour.

Biking: You can rent a bike for $6/hour and ride along the main road.

Word to the wise for those who drive far to visit: practically all nearby accommodations will be full within an hour north and south on summer weekends due to Ocean City beach-goers filling up to the north, so make your reservations in advance whether it's at a hotel or camping site.

Monday, April 01, 2013

Beautiful seashore with nice views of the water/waves and lots of seashells to comb through. We had a great time here. Wild horses roam the island!

Monday, June 04, 2012

For me this is a hit or miss. If you are going just to ride or walk and be outdoors it is great. Now there has been times when the sight are wonderful birds,deer, wild horses. Down side to this is when the horses are there, the dropping are also. This place will always be near and dear to me though. My 8 year old nephews first real bike ride.