Assateague Island National Seashore

Assateague Island National Seashore is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ocean City, Maryland that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

sea kayaking

beach

Directions from Berlin, MD: Travel east along Route 376 about 4 miles turning right onto Route 611. Follow it several miles south carrying it directly to the parkland. Signage is excellent.

Wind, rain, sand! Who had the dumb idea to hike the beach in the winter? Maybe some other time.

Probably a better hike for fall. It was almost Christmas and we got caught in the cold blowing rain. It is too long for the punch. If we had seen the horses maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

I thought we would see some wild horses but it did not happen.

We only went to the picnic area and back. There were a lot of birds but not much else.

Came here in December and it was very quiet. Only a few fishermen. Great walk along the beach. Temperature was good for a walk and no wind was blowing so we loved it. Clean beaches.

Absolutely love it there! I go every fall..

There was a nice breeze going, I did it in 90 degree heat, but that's my fault. I did almost nine miles. I found it very relaxing, I did not see a ton of wild life. I would do it again. There is a picnic are about 2.5 miles in. Use the beach access entry, I used the off road vehicle entrance and it wasn't convenient.

Really cool park! Not much of a hike but the horses are amazing

Love camping here. Once off the beach though there are so many mosquitos it makes it no fun to hike.

Great. Campsite on the beach and horses walk into your site

I backpacked the whole beach (approximately 20 to 25 miles) barefoot in about 14 hours. It was awesome, I saw about a dozen wild ponies and a ton of piping clovers. A word of advice: not for the faint hearted. if you walk anywhere farther than about 30 feet from shore, you'd be swarmed by the mosquitoes. I attempted to sleep in between a couple of dunes that span the entire beach but quickly abandoned the notion as the dunes prevented the wind from husking the bugs away. They drove me to sleep about 10 feet from the ocean, which I wasn't crazy about because I didn't know if the tide would be coming in or not. After about 10 miles South of the last parking lot in Maryland there were no more campers. You have to make sure to bring enough food and water because it it desolate. I had to squeeze through the fence at the state line and then about another 10 miles south of it was my pickup at the Chincoteague national wildlife refuge where I ended. More advice: walking on the wet, tighter packed sand reduced the stress on my feet.

Backpacked from Maryland to Virginia (about 20-25 miles). Did not keep my phone on so I couldn't GPS my route. Took me about 14 hours, beautiful; collected all sorts of Wampum. I saw about a dozen wild ponies and a ton of plovers. Had to squeeze through the fence on the state line. Slept right near the ocean and avoided the mosquitoes. Initially I had set up camp near some of the endless dunes that span the beach but I was immediately swarmed. Word of advice: stick close to the Oceanside. Overall though very nice hike. Very desolate. You better bring enough water, food and supplies. Once you pass all of the campers in Maryland it is just nothing but beach until you get to the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Definitely not for the faint hearted.