Annapolis Rock via Appalachian Trail

Annapolis Rock via Appalachian Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boonsboro, Maryland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

33 minutes ago

This is one of my favorite hikes for a in and out, it is not hard, and the view is nice. Bring a lunch, and enjoy it on the rocks. Talk to the camp host, and just enjoy it.

Fairly easy hike. There is a section early on that most of the elevation gain occurs, but it is easy elevation. The view is amazing! Will definitely do this again.

My 1 year old Chocolate Labrador and I tested out this trail for the first time (mid July); the weather was perfect, the trail itself was an easy climb, and the view from Annapolis Rock was lovely. This trail was just enough exercise to tire a pup out by its end.

P.S. I was pleased to find a dog-drinking station at the rest area. We did bring our own water just in case. :)

Great trail for relaxing hike! More on the moderate to easy side. 2.5 miles up and 2.5 miles back totally at 5 miles. The hike starts on a freeway which seems funny but after about 5 minutes you’re in nature’s quiet! We got lucky and got the trail mostly to ourselves! A beautiful summit with rewarding views. Definitely suggest!

Our family loves this trail. We take our five kids ages 15 down to 1 year and they do pretty good. Well maintained trail with lots of shade. The view from Annapolis Rocks is worth the trek. There’s an outhouse near the Rocks, fyi.

We completed both the Washington Monument and Annapolis Rock trails. The total distance was 11 miles. The trail was a bit wet from heavy rains the day before. Bugs were a bit heavy also, but the views were awesome. Love this hike. That's the second time we have completed the Annapolis Rock portion and the first time to the monument. Both were worth the climb.

Great hike! Most difficult the first two miles of the trail, but once you get through that hike it’s quite flat and a nice nature walk. Both Annapolis Rocks and Black Rock had great views!

As a lot of others have mentioned, the trail starts near a major highway which is loud and not that pretty but the rest of the trail is greats and the view at the rocks is pretty nice, too.

Well marked trails , lots of shade trees awesome views!

This was my first hike and it made me want more. A nice view from the top of Annapolis Rock. I arrived just in time for sunset but it was unfortunately too cloudy that day. Will definitely hike this again to try to catch it another time. Nearby campgrounds, privies and spring.

Breathtaking beautiful !!!

Great hike! Amazing view. Very easy to follow with the wide paths.

Nice trail. Plenty of parking weekdays. They pay off is decent. Good way to kill a morning.

Short little hike with a decent view of Hagerstown from the rocks. Beginning of the trail is pretty ugly and parallels a freeway, and you don't escape the road noise until you're at least a mile in. Not a lot of incline and it's pretty brief so don't expect a workout.

Lovely trail with a rewarding view.
Watch for snakes if you go spring/summer time as the place is pretty rocky.
Parking is limited, the trail is to the right of the parking spot.

Lovely! Pretty accurate descriptions from other hikers. Steep in the beginning then a beautiful walk out to the rock. Parking is limited,get there early!

Probably my favorite trail! Brought some friends along once and we saw a proposal!! Great views but a little tedious at first!! Once you get past the uphill it isn’t bad!! Bring a flashlight though you will lose track of time while you’re admiring the view!!

We went out on this hike and the uphill on the first part was brutal. My five year old had to stop a number of times on the way up. Oldest son did better and the dog was fine. Make sure to bring lots of water on a hot day. If you go don't give up on the way the view was really beautiful. There were lots of rocks to sit and enjoy the view on and have a good little rest and a great place to sit and eat. I do have to say the sound of traffic was annoying. We were almost two miles in before you could hear the sounds of the highway any longer. Maybe the noise isn't so bad during the Summer when there are more leaves on the trees. All in all kids enjoyed it, after the long hike up.

Hiked up to Annapolis rock over the first weekend in April. The first mile, or so, has a good ascent, but it is more of a stair climb (due to the anti-erosion logs) then a typical climb. As such, not too bad as is it flat, then a step, then flat, etc. I was expecting it to be a lot worse but with a 35lb pack and being out of shape I did fine.
Once at Annapolis rock, the views are good. While there are more spectacular views elsewhere, this one is only 2.5 miles from parking, has two privies on site, and a spring for water. Accessible and plenty of amenities. Additionally, there are many rocks to sit on and take in the view so even on a crowded day there is room for all to take in the sights.
For those camping, there are 13 primitive sites and I believe 3 group sites. A caretaker is there "in season". Just a note: NO FIRES are allowed so if you like sitting around the fire in front of your tent, this is not the place for you to camp. (there are two places to camp that allow fires about 1.5 miles N and S of Annapolis Rocks).

Hiked to Black Rock. Icy on the way up but plenty of crunchy snow to gain footing. Not very crowed with the temps in the 30s in the morning. On the way down it was a little muddy as the trail gets sun and was now in the 40s. Not strenuous - just one long hill on the way to Annapolis Rock. The trail to Black Rock is a one mile woods walk. With lunch and stops it took about 4 1/2 hours.

Great hike in the morning. Lots of Spring birds including Bluebirds and Woodpeckers. Crowded after 10, like a bus dropped off 100 people! Parking up and down the road got full!

Hiked to Black Rock last weekend. Trail was clearly marked, no issues navigating. The first mile is a bear, but after that it's smooth sailing. A lot of foot traffic. Saw maybe 40-50 people between the parking lot and Annapolis Rock and only saw maybe 5-6 people between Annapolis Rock and Black Rock. Worth it to go to Black Rock. Equal views to Annapolis Rock even if the rock itself isn't as picturesque and as a bonus I had the whole place to myself.

Will definitely go again, just need to go on off peak hours.

Note: Annapolis Rock has a privy if ya need to go.

I was a bit thrown off by the first leg of this trail as it runs parallel to I-70, though the rumble of traffic subsided after the first mile. Overall, this was a nice walk through the woods. I would probably rate is as “easy” as the hike was mostly flat with minimal inclines - which makes it suitable for families! The view was great.

First time hiking this trail... My son took me & we had a blast! Rain, a little snow at the top, & still a beautiful breathtaking view! I’ll definitely hike this again!

Rob Blair

Drove over 2 hrs for this hike and it was well worth the distance! Easy to find, well marked and maintained trails with exceptional views up top. 10/10.

One of my favorite trails in the area!

Great hike. Did it in the rain and the foggy view was still gorgeous. Worth the work

Nice hike to a gorgeous view.