White Cairn Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lovell, Maine that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We took the Stone House Trail up and the White Cairn Trail down. The White Cairn Trail definitely is the steeper of the two nearing the top, but it also is the more scenic. If you are not doing the entire loop, and just want to go up and down, take the White Cairn Trail. It was a busy trail, but the good news is that you can find a number of lookouts at the top to have a private lunch with a view. By the way, the top is a little hard to find too. Watch for the "Lookout Loop" sign and follow the trail/cairns to various rock-faced clearing overlooking the valley below. You can have great views and spots to have lunch below the summit along the White Cairn Trail; no view lost by the lower elevation. I marked several of those good lookouts as waypoints.

Had trouble at the top with being very steep for me but I totally loved the workout and would do again.

Pretty trail, varied terrain. Rattlesnake pool is awesome, though definitely not a secret. White cairn is very steep. Great view at the summit. Dog friendly. Took us about 4.5 hours, including a long visit at the pool and a long lunch at the summit.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

I loved everything about this trail! It has awesome plants, interesting geology, and it's a good workout! Once at the top, you are rewarded with stunning views and even cooler plant communities to explore. Especially awesome is the alpine peat bog with all of it's cool little plants.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Good hike. Good view. Rattlesnake pool is recommended. Dog friendly.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

As a new hiker this was a challenging trail for me, but lots of fun and I thought the views were great. We came up White Cairn and went down Stone House, which was not as much fun. I enjoy climbing up stone steps much more then trudging up hills, and as there were no open ledges it felt safe.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Such a beautiful spot!Took us about 3 hours to do a full loop: White Cairn to Blueberry Ridge and down Stone House trail. Rattlesnake Pool was a great stop to end the hike!

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Long hike for not much of a payout. Went up white cairn which wasn't bad, has steep stone steps once you get close to the end of the trail. We went during blueberry picking season but all the shrubs were dried out and dead. The markings at the top were bad, got turned around. Finally went down stone house trail and made our way to rattlesnake pool, the emerald pool was the only decent thing about this hike.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

We went up the white cairn trail and came back down the stone house trail. Great hike, white cairn is pretty steep and very rocky about 2/3rds of the way up. My 5 year old handled it quite well with just a bit of assistance. The views were well worth the hike. The trial is well maintained and we had no trouble following the cairn marked trail near the summit. Stone house trail made for an easier descent.

Saturday, June 07, 2014

Just came back from a beautiful day hiking the White Cairn - Stone House Trail loop on Blueberry Mountain. We started out on White Cairn and the trail was very well maintained with stone 'stairs' to help us up some of the steeper areas. Towards the top though, it's all rock. This part wasn't an 'easy' hike for us, but we're just getting back into it. The views at the top were spectacular! On the way back down we picked up Stone House Trail. Stopped at Rattlesnake Pool and cooled off my feet while we watched some crazy teenagers jump in the frigid water. :) All in all we loved it and it's a trail we would go back to.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Great short hike! Steeps, forest changes, spectacular views, and finish the short loop with a jump in Rattlesnake Pool off the Stone House Trail.

Saturday, October 14, 2017