Vaughan's Woods (Hobbit Land) Trail

Vaughan's Woods (Hobbit Land) Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hallowell, Maine that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Frequented for centuries for tranquility encompassed by breathtaking scenery with bridges, streams and waterfalls, and hiking trails. The Vaughan Woods is a 240-acre recreation area within the grounds of the Vaughan Homestead. Designed for recreation and nature appreciation by the Vaughans in the early 1900s, classic stone bridges, picturesque waterfalls, and other windows into the past make these some of the most unique walking trails in Maine. In 1991, prior to the Homesteads incorporation as a nonprofit, then owners Diana Vaughan Gibson and her husband George, donated a conservation easement on the Woods to The Kennebec Land Trust, ensuring its protection for future generations. Today, the Homestead manages the Woods for public use and allows access from dawn to dusk for recreational activities such as trail walking, nature study, picnicking, snow shoeing and cross-country skiing. The Woods contain approximately 3 miles of trails that vary in width and degree of difficulty for walking. The easement on Vaughan Woods covers all of its 192 acres. The Kennebec Land Trust, which holds the easement, is a private nonprofit membership organization formed in 1988 by local citizens to work cooperatively with landowners and communities to protect our natural features, working landscapes, and fragile ecosystems. The KLT owns or protects over 4,000 acres of land in the Kennebec Valley, and works with the Vaughan Homestead Foundation, the Hallowell Conservation Commission, and the Maine Conservation Corps, to protect and maintain the Vaughan Woods.

Fun walk with the dogs.

Easy hike with awesome stone bridges and a stream.

It is a very easy walk through the woods. Beautiful water, lovely stone bridges. But.... the trails are not marked. it is pretty much a loop, but there are off shoots. My intention was to do the loop. When I came up on a couple and asked how the hike was they way they just came, they said it was a dead end and asked me how to get back to the parking area. I told them the way I had just come through. I then continued on my loop and a 3 generational group came walking towards me. The child was in panic mode and said they were lost! I told him he wasn't lost but on an adventure! The small group was about to go the wrong way when a third group arrived and said they needed to go down the other path to get back to the high school. I do hope they put signs up "you are here".

BEAUTIFUL!

I would've enjoyed this more had I not had an image of "hobbit land" in my head. It was simply a stone bridge with some small falls that made up the hobbit land idea. Mind you it was beautiful, just not necessarily worth the travel time it took for us to get there. We did find some fairy houses along the way with were pretty fun to see!

We took about an hour and a half to search out Hobbit homes (fairy houses) and take a break next to the dam and cascade, nice relaxing hike, you will meet lots of folks on this hike...

Should be rated as easy. There are some cool bridges here and I like the history, but you never fully lose the sound of traffic. The trails are not marked so venturing from the main trails isn't recommended.

Nice, easy loop without many roots and rocks. The stream trails that branch off the loop were more difficult but also more fun! The brook offers plenty of places to break off from the trail and play in the water. My dog loved it!

Cute quick trail

Great for trail running.

Nice little trail with a big climbing tree in a field and a cute waterfall to splash around in. Wicked easy for sure.

Beautiful and peaceful place.

This little hiking area is beautiful! Highly recommended if in the area!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Great flat walk to a cute stone bridge next to a beautiful waterfall. This place offers multiple open trails but none of which are marked. You won't (*shouldn't) get lost as the trails all circle and lead back to parking.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Great trail for the family. The waterfalls are lovely and there are several trail options so you can hike a short distance or a longer one.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

It was a rather short trail but absolutely worth to stop here for a walk.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Very nice family hike, great opportunity for taking photos. Great place to visit if just passing through, I wouldn't go out of my way to spend time here.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice , well groomed, easy dog walk

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Cool place to check out! Have been there several times. There definitely can be a crowd. Easy nice walk through the wood.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Beautiful!

Monday, August 15, 2016

A easy, fun walk. No real difficult aspects, other than the crowds. A lot of great photo opportunities. Would be great for families with kids of all ages. Not really challenging for the adventurous type, but a pleasant afternoon can be spent here. My only complaint ( and it's all me) was he large number of people. Hard to find that solitude I crave.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great geocaching trails.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

pretty and a lot of kids

Sunday, May 22, 2016

I fell in LOVE with this place over 15yrs ago with my boys Still our favorite place in the world

Sunday, May 22, 2016

I fell in love with this beautiful place over 15yrs ago with my boys Still our favorite place

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Easy and beautiful

Monday, April 25, 2016

This was a great trail! Such a beautiful place and lots of geocaches if you're interested. Well worth the hour drive it took us to get there

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

This is a beautiful trail and a MUST see, but by no means is it moderate, it is an easy trail. Gorgeous in all seasons

53 minutes ago