Tumbledown Mountain Trail

Tumbledown Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Weld, Maine that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are two parking lots next to each trail head. Coming from Weld you will run into the Brook Trail parking lot on your left with the trail head on your right. About 1.2 miles down you will run into the parking lot for Loop Trail.

I completed this hike in October. I’ve never seen such a beautiful colors...or stunning views of New England fall foliage before this. The loop is challenging, but rewarding. Do this as an in and out if you want to avoid very steep climbs and a chimney climb. Not for the faint of heart.

My favorite hike in Maine! Good mix of terrain and amazing views!

Such a great hike, the Loop trail is not for those who don't like vertical climbs up rock faces and through chimneys, but I loved it for being fairly new to this kind of hike. It also doesn't seem to be dog friendly-- I'd take the Brook trail if there are children or dogs. I took the Loop trail to the pond, and descended via the Brook trail.

a note on the chimney: packs don't easily fit so it's best to haul that out first.
Also I would rate the loop trail as a moderate hike.

Also the Loop trail isn't well marked, so pay attention for the trail markers, especially near the top.

The Brook trail is much more accessible.

I did this hike in late September. It was beautiful!

still great views at end of leaf season!

Went up the brook trail and it was challenging but such a fun experience. Beautiful at the top so worth it and has a cool little pond up top. Only bad thing was trying to find the parking area/where to begin wasn't very many signs.

Love it! One of my favorite hikes!

We parked at end of Morgan road. The trails are well marked and challenging. The pond is a sweet spot to rest and enjoy lunch before taking the brook trail to Byron road. From there we took the connector trail back to where we started.

loop trail not good for dogs unless you can fit them in your pocketbook, we had my 85 lb pup without some help of 3 young guys we would have had to turn around, we all made it awesome day!

Ascending the loop trail is hard work, but I was expecting it to be longer and harder and was a bit disappointed with the hike part. It took me 20 minutes to walk up the gravel road, 1.5 hours to ascend the Loop Trail, and an easy hour to come down the Brook Trail. The pond is absolutely beautiful and I had a refreshing, long, indulgent swim. Would love to come back for the mountaintop pond! There are maps on either trail head if you need one. The Brook Trail is a steady incline, much more accessible for families. If I were to bring my 12 year old, I'd do the Loop Trail again, but with my 7 year old or my dog, I'd go up the Brook Trail.

Hard! Several places to use upper and lower body strength- rocky steep and through a Little Rock cavern with a sort of ladder .. worth it at the top! Feel very accomplished and there pond is amazing as are the views.
Not for dogs! Not for kids! Not for the outta shapers ... sorry.

this is a hike I've done many times, even spent a few nights at the pond. this is a great place. Is difficult in areas. be prepared and watch your step.

Towards the top there is a "chimney" with ladder rings and nearly impossible for pups unless they are small and you can carry them or you have a couple people to help. I have a 70 lb German Shepard and unfortunately didn't do enough research about the trail itself, so we had to turn around. Next time I'll go up the Brook trail but really enjoyed the hike up to that point!

just plain awesome!

We parked at Brook Trail parking lot, then walked up the road to the Loop Trail to start the hike. The Loop trail up was hard, but efficient. There is a narrow "chimney" near the top which was a bit tight with a backpack. The rocks were a bit slippery throughout even though it hadn't rained in a few days. There were wild blueberries at the top (in August) and the lake was chilly, but not ridiculous. Glad we went down Brook Trail as it was much less slippery/steep.

It was a tough hike but very rewarding! I hiked this going up and took Brook Trail going back! The blazes are harder to find once you are in higher elevation so be careful for I went off the path a couple of times! Definitely worth it!

we hiked the loop up, to the pond, And down brook. about half way up we got caught in a shower, and the rocks were slippery. this is definitely a hard trail! Be prepared to do some scrambling, and really pay attention to the blazes, as it could be easy to get off trail (not well marked when you gain some elevation. don't forget a trail map the loop is not an out and back). The chimney isnt too bad once you figure out how to get in. Overall a really great hike. if you're a casual hiker, consider this a good level or two up.

We did the Brook trail. Very steep and strenuous. Out and back a little over 4 miles. Our group ranged from 7 years old to 57 and we all made it. Lovely lake and views at the top.

Fun mountain to climb! Cool exploring on top. Great loop, gives you 2 different perspectives of the mountain.

One of my favorite hikes in Maine. We usually take the loop trail up and the brook trail down. The only problem is at the end you have to hike back to where you parked. Well worth it though. The views from the top are amazing and the pond is very rewarding after a tough hike

loop is HARD!!! However, so worth it. view is great, trail is a workout, and the pond at the top is refreshing.